• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Why do people send garbage in surprise trades?

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2023
    I get that this is a scenario where you're essentially giving away pokemon and you aren't guaranteed to get anything good, but seems to me like a Rockruff with 0IVs in a pokeball is something that would be easier and faster to just release.

I guess I'm answering my own question and more just complaining, but I'm giving away 6iv breedjects in apriballs, or h-zorua in premier ball because I want to make someone happy. So do people just throw up crappy, common pokemon just in hopes that a sucker like me gives them something good?

Speaking of, I've got an h-zorua with 0 attack IV that I didn't want to give away, if anyone is interested. I am in dire need of moon balls.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I get that this is a scenario where you're essentially giving away pokemon and you aren't guaranteed to get anything good, but seems to me like a Rockruff with 0IVs in a pokeball is something that would be easier and faster to just release.

I guess I'm answering my own question and more just complaining, but I'm giving away 6iv breedjects in apriballs, or h-zorua in premier ball because I want to make someone happy. So do people just throw up crappy, common pokemon just in hopes that a sucker like me gives them something good?

Speaking of, I've got an h-zorua with 0 attack IV that I didn't want to give away, if anyone is interested. I am in dire need of moon balls.

Because it is simply better to Wonder Trade/Surprise Trade an unwanted Pokémon and get a potentially good Pokémon in return rather than release it. That's mainly what people use the feature for other than trading away unwanted bred Pokémon. Personally, I wouldn't ever recommend Wonder Trading anything good unless you're just a very generous person and don't care about what you get in return. It is also not uncommon for hackers to use the feature as well and you don't want that good Pokémon intended to make a player happy end up in the hands of a hacker with a website for a name. Obviously, they don't need it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2023
    Because it is simply better to Wonder Trade/Surprise Trade an unwanted Pokémon and get a potentially good Pokémon in return rather than release it. That's mainly what people use the feature for other than trading away unwanted bred Pokémon. Personally, I wouldn't ever recommend Wonder Trading anything good unless you're just a very generous person and don't care about what you get in return. It is also not uncommon for hackers to use the feature as well and you don't want that good Pokémon intended to make a player happy end up in the hands of a hacker with a website for a name. Obviously, they don't need it.

There are definitely a bunch of people who are trading good stuff. I got an Eevee in a moon ball, Charmander in a luxury ball, Rowlet in a friend ball and moon ball, several h-zoruas in various balls, etc. So there are people out there making good faith efforts. Just feels scummy when someone decides to send a freshly caught Magikarp lol.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • It's a numbers game. You have to trade an awful lot to get something good. Also try to trade when it's morning or early evening in Japan and you'll get a some goodies from the breeders over there (before school and after they get home).

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    One person's garbage is another person's gold! Out of 20 trades, I usually get something that makes it all worthwhile. Right now, I'm getting a lot of SV apriball Pokémon that I'll eventually trade away. And even if I only get Skwovets and Fletchfinders, at least the receivers will be happy and learn about the generosity of Pokémon players. Can't beat the Japanese in terms of generosity though yet IMO!

And not only Japanese but also Canadians, like "Bonnie" and partner Clyde. They helped me a lot in SwSh.

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • There are definitely a bunch of people who are trading good stuff. I got an Eevee in a moon ball, Charmander in a luxury ball, Rowlet in a friend ball and moon ball, several h-zoruas in various balls, etc. So there are people out there making good faith efforts. Just feels scummy when someone decides to send a freshly caught Magikarp lol.

Do the balls that the Pokémon are in really make much of a difference?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • Do the balls that the Pokémon are in really make much of a difference?

They do for some people, though it would be wrong for me to giv an answer for everyone.
    For me, they do sometimes, it just depends on what I'm catching the Pokemon for. Party Pokemon get a nice ball that either matches their colors in some way,
    or looks good on them regardless. Junk Pokemon that I'm just catching for Dex completion get whatever ball I happen to chuck at 'em, cause they're just getting
    tossed in the box forever anyway. I just like having the Pokemon I care about in whatever game I'm running at the time look nice in their Pokeballs.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2023
    Do the balls that the Pokémon are in really make much of a difference?

Depends on your perspective. Some people like having the ball match the pokemon. Some balls have neat little flourishes when they open. It's strictly aesthetic and only the owner really notices, but you could make the same case for shinies of pokemon that you'd never actually use, but look cool. Like Magikarp.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Depends on your perspective. Some people like having the ball match the pokemon. Some balls have neat little flourishes when they open. It's strictly aesthetic and only the owner really notices, but you could make the same case for shinies of pokemon that you'd never actually use, but look cool. Like Magikarp.

You have a point. When I think about it, I actually don't like it when Starter Pokémon come in balls other than the standard Pokéball. The only exception is when it's a Water-type Starter Pokémon in a Dive Ball because that particular ball is awesome, especially for Water-type Pokémon. I also prefer my main party to have unique balls based on their appearance too. For example, I prefer my Electric-type Pokémon to be in Quick Balls, Rock and Ground types to be in Nest Balls, Bug-type Pokémon to be in Net Balls, Ghost and certain Dark-type Pokémon to be in Dusk Balls, and so on.

Years
  • Less effort when you can send easy-to-catch Pokémon and not get something more useful each time, especially when you're most likely to get something meh in return. Most people send their leftover Pokémon hoping for that one cool thing they don't have.. or shiny lol. I try to send my good leftover bred Pokémon most of the time, which usually have at least 4-5 perfect IVs and egg moves.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I always make it a point to never send anything good through Wonder Trade. Nothing is wrong with clearing out my boxes of the bad stuff in hopes that I get something good.

Years
  • You could always wonder trade the pokemon you get in wonder trades you don't want, that would be what I would do. Also I think wonder trade is just something to have fun with and maybe periodically send a decent pokemon that you don't want. I never feel bad with what I get in wonder trades the last time I ever done it back in the days of the 3ds and ds games that had this feature when online was free.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I tried this surprise trade thing once, got a random Magikarp and never bothered to use the feature again. I don't think's worth it at all.

Back