• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Why do you write?

Bay

Years
  • I write because I have many ideas in my head that won't leave me alone unless I write them. The process of watching yourself crafting words is also satisfying to see.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I write as a form of escapism sometimes. A lot of what I write is because I need some sort of outlet, in ways. But, in other ways, I also write to create things with character in hopes it's done in a way that hasn't been done before, but I guess everything has been done before, in a way. For the most part, I write for me, and hope I can find an audience.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • I enjoy it and have really grown personally invested in stories I write, since many hold aspects of my personality in them. I used to do it because it was the first chance for me to actually sort of make stories that I always had been. I've honestly thought of stories for most of my life, but writing was a way to refine and see them grow.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I write because I have an overactive imagination. Often times I can't keep myself focused on one project at a time, thus I often miss out on a lot of ideas or leave a lot of projects unfinished. Completing any of my writing is always a pleasure.

Specifically, I like world building. I tend to take a couple of weeks to finalize even a chapter (busy regular life) and even afterwards if I examine it too much I'll feel the urge to change it, but that's mostly because I'll get new ideas and sometimes it contradicts something I said earlier in the story. It's a mental chess match when you're trying to write a longer narrative, and that's a huge part of the fun.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • It's not really just a hobby actually. I usually write because it's a good way for me to express myself. I have a tendency to struggle with both verbal and emotional expression due to autism... but yet when I'm writing, I found that the words come out much more easily and freely than when I'm explaining it verbally or emotionally. I've been writing off and on a long time before finally realizing sometime later how much it helps me and stuff.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • It's a fun creative outlet and can be a lot less taxing than art sometimes, and I feel like I can still at least tell a story even when I'm going through writer's block.

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • It's like a hobby of mine. Over the years writing and jotting down original ideas have taken over video games and have become my main pass time now. I kid you not when I say I have a dozen unfinished ideas and drafts of odd and original stories haha. I've always wanted to create my own world I could mold and characters I can control and bring to life.

That and it's helped me breeze through life's hardest moments. It kinda calms me and puts me in a happy place, you know?

dewitlykefire

Dew It Lyke Me
    Years
  • I write because it was always my calling ever since I was a twelve-year-old. I started out with short stories and then now published my first fantasy novel many years later. It was always a hobby and I'll always see it as my greatest hobby.

Years
  • I've always been good at it, I guess? I mean, I'm not particularly talented or anything but I've always been a daydreamer and I like putting that into words.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I had ideas for stories that I couldn't find so decided to do it myself.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    it's a great money-saving hobby that stops me from endlessly browsing clothes online when I'm sat at the computer

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    i've always been relatively good with words and felt at home in written works.

the things i can create with typing or a pencil are both immediately and long term satisfying. and Juno's point is a good one haha: it's such a low cost hobby compared to much else.

Days
    • Seen May 19, 2023
    I write because, first of all, it helps me to relax. And I have different ideas in my head, so I want to write them, turn them into the story

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • --It's enjoyable
    --it's a way to let your imagination run wild
    --it doesn't have to cost too much (just a piece of paper or a notepad app on your phone)
    --it's a fun way to work with other people (brainstorming is both fun and easy with at least one partner to bat ideas around and get constructive criticism)

Days
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    I personally write because it is satisfying. I don't care if it may sometimes be terrible. I just enjoy the process.

Years
  • Many of the same reasons highlighted in the comments apply to me, though I would lean a lot more in the side of creative release than, say, escapism.

Back