• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    I love shiny Weavile, but I don't like how they made it darker in 6th gen. But maybe that's just me being picky.
    Shiny Helioptile/Heliolisk is kind of lame. It looks like it got sunburned and they didn't even bother changing the colors of the entire Pokemon.
    Shiny Nidoqueen is not bad, but it would be so much better if they swapped the colors so it would look like Nidoking.
    And finally, Shiny Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde. That white looks terrible! When I first saw it, I thought it was just a texture glitch...

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Actually, Game Freak didn't have any control over what color a shiny pokemon ended up being, as they automatically programmed the color to be a certain formula different than the original, to save space. Hence why some shiny pokemon are so different, while others are almost the same. It wasn't until the sixth gen games where Game Freak could now design shinies depending how they wanted them to look. Which is why I don't like this mess of a color scheme:

Worst Shiny Pokémon?

It looks like they just dumped part of Helioptile in a can of red paint and called it good.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • Shiny Nidoqueen is not bad, but it would be so much better if they swapped the colors so it would look like Nidoking.
    Not that I don't like the green and pink, but the fact that she's not purple has always bothered me. If I wasn't trying to collect every shiny and only went for ones I like the look of, I would've kept shiny Nidorina as she was if I had one.

I don't like shiny Krokorok and Krookodile. The bright yellow stripes clash with their dark brown bodies.

I also don't like shiny Terrakion. The red and blue are too colourful and don't go well with the rest of its body in my opinion.

Years
  • I don't like shiny Krokorok and Krookodile. The bright yellow stripes clash with their dark brown bodies.

I agree, because I watched some "Worst Shiny Pokemon" videos on YouTube and two YouTubers (TamashiiHiroka and Truegreen7) mentioned they didn't like shiny Krookodile because the black around its eyes is meant to give off the effect of wearing shades and suits its Dark-type, whereas the yellow really ruins that image.

Years
  • Honestly, I was disappointed with Tyranitar and Larvitar shiny. Larvitar especially being my favorite, the shiny version didn't feel any special.

Years
  • Shinies too similar to their original counterparts aside (since that'd be too obvious of an answer), I'm really not a fan of Espeon's sprites, especially now with 3D models. The green is really icky looking and it was a bit nicer when we still used sprites so I'm bummed out about that.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Maybe it's just me who notices the difference but that brighter green was soooo much better.

Then there are almost all of the golden shinies omg. ;-; Shinies like the Swablu line were one of my favorites back in the day, now they're just... mustard.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Shinies too similar to their original counterparts aside (since that'd be too obvious of an answer), I'm really not a fan of Espeon's sprites, especially now with 3D models. The green is really icky looking and it was a bit nicer when we still used sprites so I'm bummed out about that.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Maybe it's just me who notices the difference but that brighter green was soooo much better.

Then there are almost all of the golden shinies omg. ;-; Shinies like the Swablu line were one of my favorites back in the day, now they're just... mustard.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

but but but Espeon D: (oh my god, my bias is showing! still <3 you tho sheep)

On topic though, I personally think that Excadrill, Weavile, and Krookodile are pretty bad. I also think that ones that are just brighter than their counterparts are not necessarily terrible, just a bit underwhelming.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Clefable and Clefairy, it seems as if only the tips of their ears have been recoloured :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Agreeing with shiny Krokorok and Krookodile. Their color scheme hurts my eyes.

Shinies that don't look too different from the original, like Garchomp, are serious offenders too. What's the point of having a shiny form if you can't tell the difference between that and the original?

Years
  • Like a number of people have said already, some of the worst shiny Pokemon are the ones were they're only a shade lighter/darker than their regular counterparts. I'm color blind, so I always worry that if I were to run into one of these Pokemon and wasn't paying attention when it popped up on the screen, I wouldn't notice the difference. At least with the lime green Pokemon, I'll know right away, haha.

Years
  • Shinies too similar to their original counterparts aside (since that'd be too obvious of an answer), I'm really not a fan of Espeon's sprites, especially now with 3D models. The green is really icky looking and it was a bit nicer when we still used sprites so I'm bummed out about that.

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    ->
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

I can understand this, and while I've not been dissatisfied with any of the shinies I've owned (except for my shiny Farfetch'd in Soul Silver, since I don't think pink suits him) I can feel for those whose fave shinies may have had their colour ruined in 6th Gen, like you mentioned with Espeon and the Swablu line there. I don't mind shiny Espeon's green being a darker lime green, but that might just be me.

Years
  • but but but Espeon D: (oh my god, my bias is showing! still <3 you tho sheep)

On topic though, I personally think that Excadrill, Weavile, and Krookodile are pretty bad. I also think that ones that are just brighter than their counterparts are not necessarily terrible, just a bit underwhelming.

I am sorry the shiny version is too egh. ;-;

Oh, agreeing with those who said swamp green shinies. I mean..

Worst Shiny Pokémon?
    Worst Shiny Pokémon?

These guys can be so much better. Dragonite should've been purple, a missed opportunity.

Goatman56

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I don't really know what the worst shiny would be is, but isn't Pikachus just like a shade darker. I already don't want to catch Pikachu and for it to have a lame shiny isn't helping.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • I don't really know what the worst shiny would be is, but isn't Pikachus just like a shade darker. I already don't want to catch Pikachu and for it to have a lame shiny isn't helping.
    I noticed recently that unlike the previous games where it still has red cheeks, shiny Pikachu has pink cheeks in Gen 6 which I think is pretty cute. But apart from that, I agree that its main colour is too similar and not that exciting.

Kacchan

blaze it
    Years
  • Actually, Game Freak didn't have any control over what color a shiny pokemon ended up being, as they automatically programmed the color to be a certain formula different than the original, to save space. Hence why some shiny pokemon are so different, while others are almost the same. It wasn't until the sixth gen games where Game Freak could now design shinies depending how they wanted them to look..
    Is that true? That's really interesting. I wondered why some of them were so horrible.

I can't think of all the shinies off the top of my head, but my least favorite that I can think of is Pikachu. I was excited to see it's shiny version, but then it's whole evo line ended up having shinies that were.... not even very different from the original.

Years
  • I can't think of all the shinies off the top of my head, but my least favorite that I can think of is Pikachu. I was excited to see it's shiny version, but then it's whole evo line ended up having shinies that were.... not even very different from the original.

I can easily understand this, because shiny Pikachu's only notable difference is a more orange shade of yellow, while still having its cheeks remain unchanged. Pichu's shiny I do like because it turns into Pikachu's normal colours, but Pikachu and Raichu look much worse than Pichu.

Back