• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

would you cover up a crime for someone?

Sirfetch’d

Let's say that one of your closest friends or family members committed a pretty serious crime such as grand theft, bank robbery, arson, etc. Would you cover for them? Why or why not?

Also for the sake of this thread we are assuming murder was not the crime committed.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Personally I wouldn't cover for anyone unless I'm really close with you and there's very few who I'm close with. But honestly it really depends on the crime itself. I wouldn't cover for anyone who committed arson...

Years
  • If anybody I was close to did something like that, I would definitely reconsider why I even affiliate myself with them in the first place, unless there was a very good reason for doing so, somehow.

If it's severe enough, I probably would not cover at all. I don't tend to stand for stuff like that at all.

pkmin3033

Absolutely not. I'm not going to endanger myself by becoming an accessory for anyone; that's a crime in and of itself and I wouldn't even consider taking the fall for someone else. I don't care what their motivation for committing the crime might be and whether or not I could potentially stand to benefit from it if I kept quiet; the risk outweighs the rewards, and I probably wouldn't associate with a criminal anyway unless it was out of ignorance. So, nope. They're on their own. Life is filled with enough trouble without adding a criminal record to the mix.

Lucid

I kind of already have a bunch of times in the past as far as stashing stolen items at my house, stuff like that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Even if it was murder I would cover for them because there'd be a good reason, I don't make friends with psychos

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Most likely no, only if it was something that was legitimately necessary for them to commit.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
    Years
  • Depends on the victim and the potential to repeat the crime I guess. I dont have much reason to turn someone in otherwise.

Years
  • It really depends on who the person is; family or a best friend, yeah sure, I'd cover for you, I don't have reason not to do so.

Spacy

Visitor from beyond...
    Years
  • If they had a really good reason, I probably wouldn't turn them in. If it was just for personal gain or for the same reasons as trolling, then I would feel betrayed because I had thought that person was a good human being who wouldn't steal or damage other people's stuff.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I don't see a reason to. Even if my own mother stole and told me to keep hush-hush about it, I'd go report the crime. There's no "good" reason for breaking the law; it's why it's the ultimate form of guideline.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I don't see a reason to. Even if my own mother stole and told me to keep hush-hush about it, I'd go report the crime. There's no "good" reason for breaking the law; it's why it's the ultimate form of guideline.
    hahahahahahahah! lets look at some of these so called guidelines that exist in my state that cops don't even bother upholding:
    Any motorist driving along a country road at night must stop every mile and send up a rocket signal, wait ten minutes for the road to be cleared of livestock, and continue.
    Any motorist who sights a team of horses coming toward him must pull well off the road, cover his car with a blanket or canvas that blends with the countryside, and let the horses pass.
    You may not catch a fish with your hands.
    Dynamite is not to be used to catch fish.
    in Danville all fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires.
    By law, "watch stuffers" are unwelcome in McKeesport, Pa.
    Fireworks stores may not sell fireworks to Pennsylvania residents.
    In the Mount Pocono region any group of 5 or more Native Americans are to be considered a raiding party and may be killed on the spot
    It is illegal to have over 16 women live in a house together because that constitutes a brothel. However up to 120 men can live together, without breaking the law
    No man may purchase alcohol without written consent from his wife.
    The state law of Pennsylvania prohibits singing in the bathtub.
    Witchcraft was first legalized in the colony of Pennsylvania.
    Spoiler:
    and here is one of new jersey's laws:
    It is illegal to wear a bullet-proof vest while committing a murder.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • Why should I cover up if someone I know committed an crime.
    Even if it meant going to jail they should just deal with it on their own.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Definitely not, they're the one that was stupid enough to commit the crime. The only way I'd reconsider is if they had a really good reason for doing it, and I'm talking life and death reasoning here.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    LOL NO.

hun just don't do crimes because i'd be one bad backup plan.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Potentially. I'm a massive softie so seeing one of my actual close friends in shit and needing help is something I can't resist. If it is someone I'm really close with - and there are a few people - then yeah, I probably would. I often see criminals arrested in the news because they made dumb mistakes, so if the opportunity presented itself, I would absolutely make sure that every possible lead was covered.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • No, its not my problem and I dont want to be dragged into all of the crap. If they told me, I would alert the authorities immediately.

public safety > appeasing family members/partaking in dumb drama

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    LOL NO.

hun just don't do crimes because i'd be one bad backup plan.

there's a lot of things that are against the law which are not really crimes but the results of people winning. other laws are passed not for the people's well being, but to control their them. no human is meant to be a puppet, yet so many are easily manipulated. GTA is an example of this, the government & society where manipulated & sales sky rocketed. the very controversy around the game served the purpose intended, it spread the word of the game, people got curious. every-time people fight over something word of it gets spread to those who don't know of it & popularity spreads.

another example of this is sex offender laws just feeding into the fears of the public & not even helping to stop sex offense. their just a false sense of security to shut people up. who ever the hell thought banishment zones that exist in some states was a good idea was obviously led more by fear then understanding. they halter rehabilitation & serve to increase the likely-hood of re-offense, puts the offenders in danger of being being threatened, beaten which also increases the odds of them re-offending or just snapping. everyone has a breaking point, a point where they can go from a one time sex offender to a nut case out to kill everyone who has treated them like crap. anyone who blindly says its ok to do that type of stuff to a sex offender is really no better then a natzi or one of those nuts that went on witch hunts.

then we got copyright laws which are just retrogressive & restrict human creativity for the sake of people being selfish. same damn crap the chotolic chruch did up til the Renaissance. yay for laws meant to drag humanity back a few centuries at the whims of greedy people

Back