• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your field of study

Years
  • Evolution. I know it's already been covered by both Elm and Rowan, but… well, neither of them seemed to do much. Elm takes an interest in the Togepi egg, and Rowan once notes that Legendary Pokemon tend to not evolve; something that's no longer strictly true.

I'd like to find a way to synthesise the trade evolution process, without trading. Basically to get Pokémon evolution to the way it is in Legends Arceus; where trade-items just function as standard evolution items.

It'd be generally cool to do a deep-dive on why certain items evolve certain Pokemon. It'd also allow for cool opportunities to experiment, like… what if I eventually conditioned a Growlithe to evolve with an Ice Stone instead of a Fire Stone? That kind of thing.

I'd have a bunch of Eeveelutions running around the lab, and if I ever got to be a secret-boss-battle, I'd have Pokemon covering as many evolution methods as possible. Level-Up, Friendship, Stone, Trading, Flipping-upside-down… there's already more methods than one can have on a single team. So it's a cool, in-depth field of study, we just haven't seen them explore it much in the games.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Cannot say for certain. Thinks perhaps something related to Pokemon health. Tries to suss out issues facing certain Pokemon by looking at data. Likely begins with a commonly owned local species. Gathers information from Nurse Joys, both local and abroad. Searches for differences and similarities between their conditions. Do Shinx in Paldea have more excess electricity than Shinx in Sinnoh? Are they more prone to a specific illness? Are battling Shinx prone to broken bones? Are lilies toxic to Shinx in Sinnoh too? Is it possible to isolate a cause for these issues?

Consults with Pokemon breeders too. Have they noticed a lack of certain nutrients lead to certain problems? Are there any behaviors that Shinx should avoid or are indicative of other issues?

Tests some hypotheses from there. May benefit from exposure to Terastal energy. Could be another Pokemon species making Shinx ill. Do Paldean Shinx eat more Sitrus Berries than foreign Shinx?

Compiles all of that into a handy Shinx's owner's manual. Adds some other observations too, as useful. Points Shinx owners to that for do's and don't's. Theoretically expands it to cover multiple species, much like a Pokedex. Presumes one evolutionary line to be a large undertaking, though.

Some other (unrelated) ideas:
    • The effects of living in Pokeballs, including extended living. What psychological effects does this have? Are Pokemon outside of Pokeballs generally happier? Does the ball type make a difference?
    • Expanding TMs. Somehow transmits data straight into a Pokemon's brain. What else can you do with this technology? Is it possible to imprint behaviors into Pokemon? Seems unwise to pursue this, though. Leads to creepy brainwashed Pokemon. (Serves as a dandy plot, though. Allows the Pokemon Company to use this idea.)
    • Likes the evolution stuff mentioned by giradialkia. Questions how some wild Pokemon evolved too. Did Togekiss just happen to touch a Shiny Stone? How did this Raid Den Politoed come to be?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    While working on my own region (forever now) I have one Professor who's main study is Pokémon Typings and then also studies Meteorology & Astronomy while the other Professor's main study is Artificial Pokémon and then studies Meteorology & Astronomy.

Years
  • Perhaps Shiny Pokemon? Like how do their bodies give off a sparkle? What exactly causes them to be shiny? Is it some kind of abnormality in a Pokemon's DNA?
    Why do shiny Pokemon of the same species look alike? Should there not be a difference between two shiny Pokemon of the same species?
    Would it be possible to artificially cause a Pokemon to go shiny? Or perhaps alter it's shiny?

Definitely feel like I'm looking too much into a 'different color for the sake of rarity mechanic' lmao

Alternatively... Pokemon Behavior. Each Pokemon behaves in a different way. How do they interact with others of their kind? How do they interact with other Pokemon species or humans? Do their natures affect how they interact with others?
    Is it possible to influence their behavior? for example.. is it possible to make a Pokemon that preys on another Pokemon species befriend that species and change it's... diet?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I'd more likely be a trainer/research assistant helping fill out a 'dex. Similar to what I do IRL when I submit my photos (mostly insects, one of the core inspirations behind Pokémon) to nature sites. I'm particularly drawn to moths though so maybe I could be a lepidopterist?

As a kid, I used to pretend that I was a professor studying the similarities between Dunsparce and Gligar. Wings, "stinger," right next to each other in the Pokédex. Thought for sure Dunsparce evolved into Gligar but nope.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'd perform horrifying DNA experiments on Pokemon in order to maximize their power. You know, like Shadow Pokemon, only better.

Barring that, I'd probably just end up teaching calculus or chemistry or computer engineering at some university somewhere.

Back