• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokemon Confessions..

Years
  • Ok, here are some of my confessions:

1) I started playing in Pokémon Yellow. I was 4. I couldn't speak English. My mum used to play together with me and helped me out by translating. This is a story my mum told me a few years back: We didn't know what boxes were. We were both baffled that the party had changed after visiting the PC. We had no idea what happened and restarted the entire game.

2) Up until generation 4 I have firmly believed stat changing moves were useless because they didn't deal damage.

3) Up until generation 5 I have firmly believed pressing A the moment the Pokéball balances to the side increases your odds of catching a Pokémon. Similarly, mistiming it would result in decreased odds of catching a pokémon. I also believed holding my breath and not moving my gameboy AT ALL would increase the odds too.

4) I never actually played in the Battle Tower or any similar post-game facilities until Gen 4, because they didn't allow Legendaries, and my teams always had at least 3 - 4 Legendaries in them.

5) Playing Pokémon Leafgreen I first used the Day Care Breeding Service. I thought eggs hatched a randomly generated Pokémon, so I caught a male Pidgey and a female Pidgey, put them in and got myself at least two boxes full of eggs. When I kept hatching Pidgeys, it struck me that two Pokémon could only breed the same Pokémon.

6) I didn't know the difference between Atk and Sp. Atk until Gen 4 (or 5?) when they had different icons. That's when I searched the internet what it meant.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I thought that attack and defense were about offense and defense, while special attack increases the chance scoring a critical hit and special defense lowered the chance of being hit by one.

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • When I first played Yellow, I didn't know about Nidoran, so I had to beat Brock using Pikachu's Quick Attack.
    Also, when I got the Master Ball, I used it on a Jigglypuff because I thought it was a super-rare Pokemon.

When I first played Ruby, I saw Mawile for the first time and didn't know what I was looking at. Caught it, gave it a bunch of Special moves and used it throughout my journey until it became Lv100.
    I didn't know you could get a Master Ball in the Magma Hideout, so I missed it. Needless to say, I didn't have a fun time capturing Rayquaza.
    I also didn't know about Wailmer's evolution so when I translated "last comes Wailord" in the Braille chamber, at first I thought it was some kind of slang that describes a fat person.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    I used to believe that Sp. Attack and Sp. Defence were related to moves that are super effective in some way. I also thought that stat-changing moves were useless, and just some kind of distraction put in by GameFreak to stop people from winning.
    I did not know how games worked.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • I still do this but I hold my breath and freeze when I throw the pokeball, as if by some magical means that prevents the pokemon from escaping the ball.

In my first game, Diamond, I thought it was just the Elite Four and nothing else. Boy was I surprised when I stumbled on Cynthia and she spanked my team to oblivion. Took me about 7 tries to even beat her.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I'm afraid none of my Pokemon-related moments of actual shame come from the games, unless you wanna count normal dumb kid stuff like pressing up+b to catch better (though it's still a reflex from time to time), being oblivious to stats, some type matchups, and how physical/special worked or what it even was at first, being that I started with Gen 1 when everything was at its most cryptic and I was like 10. I definitely lost a lot more fights (and probably in dumb ways, though I no longer have any specific recollection) in the first few gens.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I used to think (like when I was 5) that "Deposit" meant to kill. I thought this because I deposited my Totodile (first ever Pokemon) into the box and didn't see it in my team, and played out this whole scenario (in my five year old head, while crying hysterically) of me handing my Pokemon to the nurse for her to kill. I asked my mom after calming down for about ten minutes what deposit meant, and when she told me I checked the "Withdraw" option and saw it perfectly fine.

To this day I feel like an idiot.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • When I first got Sapphire, I had tried my best to keep strictly to what the game said to do. 'Go look for Steven'. Took me a week or more to even realize he was in Granite Cave. I kept going on to Slateport and getting stuck where the Team Aqua grunts stand outside town.
    I also hadn't known about Latias, or at least thought she was an event legendary, so I used the Masterball on Kyogre. Later on, my save file was somehow erased and later after that my cousin used it on a Machop because that was his favorite(he likes turtle Pokemon like Machop Squirtle and Turtwig).
    I though shinies were stupid rumors made by the people who had the Legendary Poopy in Victory Road videos on youtube(which I tried) and almost died of shock when I found a shiny Wingull and caught him with a Net Ball.
    I thought because of Magikarp's dex entry that other players actually hated it and didn't even know about Gyarados. I caught one and trained him myself with love~
    We didn't know FRLG didn't have a clock, so my sister tried to evolve and Eevee named after her to Umbreon.
    I tried to do the Glitch City in my sister's FireRed game. She didn't know either and got mad at me for it.
    I thought Diglett evolves into Onix and Geodude was in that line somewhere too. And that Steelix was a Gen 4 Pokemon.
    I didn't know Shuppet evolves into Banette and believed them to be two different Pokemon.
    I believed it when I saw 'Pokemon Diamond' as a playable game on a retro game website. (That weird game with Diamond and Jade versions....) I figured it out pretty quickly though.
    I thought I could play through Blue with only my Charmeleon because we were friggin awesome. Probably why Charmeleon is one of my favorites now. XD
    When I got LeafGreen for my birthday later on I thought that the Venusaur on that game was the best because it knew Frenzy Plant, a move I had never seen before that does cruel damage and incapitates the user. He was the best Venusaur, and he and Rayquqaza will never be forgotten and I will continue to look for that game forever.
    I didn't know PMD:EoD would make me cry. ;_;
    I had believed strongly that Latias was an event legendary, and was sad because she seemed so cool. After traveling on around Mossseep to go to Shoal Cave or something, I found her by mistake and almost had another heart attack. Took me six years until I realized I could catch a Zubat and teach it Mean Look so she can't escape.
    That Zubat had to be evolves into Crobat to do that, and I loaned her to my sister to catch Latios when she found him on Ruby. When I read that Golbat evolves into Crobat with love I almost cried and demanded her back.(that was last year actually lol)
    I had read somewhere that holding A+Up then as the ball shakes press R LR that you were guaranteed a catch, 'Make a PokeBall work like a MasterBall!!!' Even though when I first tried it I failed, it's a bad habit I still have today.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This isn't much, but I
    • Spam the A button, during text, and battle animations
    • i trained a Charizard into the 90's and then reset my game
    • The first shiny i saw was a chatot, and i thought it was nothing special... so I didnt capture it

Years
  • I used to think, as a 7-year-old, Splash had a one in a million chance of wiping out the entire opposition roster.

Yeah.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • OK, so my first playthrough when I was 12...

I used a Master Ball on Artikuno and KOed Zapdos and Moltres.

I also made the mistake of trading my starter away. Even worse, a few weeks later, I wanted it back, and, being the immature jerk I was back in the day, started pestering the guy I traded the Charizard to every day in school, to the point where the guy's mother ended up giving me a very angry lecture. Later on, he admitted to having erased his save file.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Gen 1:
    - Pressing the A button while throwing a Great or Ultra Ball (but not the normal Poke Ball) makes the catch always successfull
    - leaving a Pokemon at the day care, playing 100 hours and returning leads to the care taker apologizing because the Pokemon ran away and in return he gives you Togepi
    - watching the Hall of Fame entries after performing the Missingno. glitch creeped me so out that I restart my game
    - I missed out on the Magikarp seller and the Old Rod and for a long time I didn't know how to get Gyarados (and with Dratini it's the same)

Gen 2:
    - I bred an Eevee once and it had Rain Dance as an egg move. I felt like I got something special and it ended up being a Flareon level 100, which still knew Rain Dance
    - I thought breeding a Misdreavous and training it to level 100 without fainting or boxing it would make it evolve into Celebi

Gen 3:
    - I got Pokerus twice in one single playthrough...and I reset both times, because I thought something went wrong
    - I thought Trapinch evolved into Corphish and Flygon is unobtainable

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I used a Master Ball on my Absol in Emerald; to this day I'm still haunted of memories of using 99+ Ultra Balls to catch Rayquaza and having to reset a dozen times because it died/I ran out of Ultra Balls. This all happened because I just wanted that Absol :(

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • I tried to use Thundershock on Brock's Geodude. You know, because it worked in the anime.

That happened with me too!!
    Damn lol.

Also not really related to games, but the first time I heard the voice of Mewtwo in "who's the Pokemon" after the commercial break I got super scared and couldn't sleep that night. Don't know why XD

Years
  • When I first played Yellow, many years ago, I tried to sweep the last four Gyms with a Sandslash. But even more stupidly, when I came to Giovanni, I had a Blastoise that I used against his Dugtrio. Why didn't I use that against his Rhydon?!?!

That's one I know of, if I think of more i'll name them.

epicbiscuit23

Epicpokepotato1
    Years
  • In gen 5 I used to think volcarona was a legendary because you could find him in this sand temple or something..so I told everyone that he was a legendary until my 16 yr old cousin told me he wasn't legendary....by then thanks to me 12 people in my class thought he was a legendary...and they still do to this day.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I would only over level my starter and catch a bunch of low level common Pokemon for HM slaves. If that Pokemon ever fainted, I was screwed.

I watch the anime out of laughter and nostalgia because I actually find it laughably bad.

Speaking of the anime, I always found the characters' Pokemon more interesting than the humans.

When I play the games, I sometimes write fanfics about my team and how they would interact with each other based on their natures.

I used to write some bizarre anime fanfics where I shipped Ash's Chikorita and Cyndaquil.

I think when I was 9 or 10, I had a crush on Dawn but I didn't realize it.

When I was a kid due to watching the anime, I thought moves like Harden, Reflect, Light Screen, and Iron Defense were the same thing as Protect and Detect.

I thought stat hindering moves did nothing since they did no damage to my HP.

I didn't know what repels did so I always hated going through caves, and got a vendetta against Zubat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crady

It ain't even bright in here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2016
    Ok here's my confession, some of you may be able to relate...

I would put 4 all-offense move on my pokes. (e.g Fireblast,thunder,hyper beam and brick break) I would think NPC's were extremely stupid for using moves like protect (why are you delaying your death? lol) or Reflect.

I also would remember that Fighting types were weak to Flying types because when ever I saw a Machop I kept thinking of how Birds would prey on small sea turtles.

Back