• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokemon Confessions..

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2015
    -I hate the theory that 'you killed your rival's Raticate', and try to find ways for it to be false.

-I have a crush on Lance.

-I was trying to make a hacked game and went to a game-making thread to ask for help. Another user irritably told me off for being in the wrong place. Someone told him off, but then took it back when they realized I was in the wrong place. I felt bad.

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
  • What do you mean by TRY to find ways to deny it? Its just a theory y'know :p

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I didn't know about Shiny Pokemon and I thought my blue Volbeat in Sapphire was a cool glitch and then I ended up losing my original Sapphire cartridge. I could have still held onto my shiny Volbeat after all these years.

I once caught a Grimer in the Fiery Path because I was excited to find out it could learn Flamethrower despite its shit Special Attack stat.

Oh and when I first played Fire Red, I didn't know what to do with the Snorlax so I gave up the game with a Charizard and Pidgeot in my team stuck in Cerulean City lmao. After I got older and figured out the puzzle, I beat the game without a problem.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The fact my first in-game team was just me picking random stuff instead of putting type diversity into the factor. As a result, my old Ruby team was very redundant and had overlapping types.

I have since learned my lesson and with OR/AS I can now have a true Hoenn playthrough that doesn't make me feel silly.

Years
  • My very first game I played was Sapphire. I had no idea you could change the first pokemon you sent out. Until I found an npc who mentioned switch training, I had my Torchic first. Never bothered to check on their stats or anything. I thought that teaching a pokemon multiple STAB moves was a good idea cause some had rubbish accuracy. When going through the Saffron City Gym, I still need a guide to figure out that frustrating teleporter puzzle.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    • As a kid I thought that Pokémon Yellow was a simulation game where you go to places and talk with Pikachu. Whenever I enter a battle I also thought that battles were terminal glitches.
    • As a kid I was also terrified of the Gastly, Haunter and Gengar thanks to their portrayal in the anime.
    • I could never defeat Lorelei in Leafgreen to the point where I given up playing the game entirely. Same goes for Red in HGSS.
    • On a related note, I remember struggling in a level in Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia in which you have to avoid being spotted by the evil team. That level frustrated me more so than Leafgreen and HGSS to the point where I decided to trade SoA for another Nintendo DS game.
    • My X team composes of Pokémon I like. Because of that I struggled with many battles.
    • I have a crush on Sawk. Having crushes on characters has always been a bad habit of mine. ;_;
    EDIT: I got another one...
    • There was once a time that I hated Lucario so much that I decided to release my Level 64 one for the LOLs. I then saved after that, not realising what I done. I still really regret releasing it as it's a rather special Pokémon to me.
    • I once had a Jirachi that I got from Toys 'R' Us. What makes this Jirachi special is that it learns Draco Meteor. A year later I traded it to a guy I don't know, simply because I was being overly generous at the time. Because of that it's probably my biggest regret when playing Pokémon and I'm impatiently waiting for another Jirachi Wi-fi event.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My first game was Pokemon Yellow. The first time I got poisoned and the screen was flashing and making funny noises I was devastated as I was 5 badges in. I thought the whole GameBoy Color had broken and took it back to Toys R Us and got a new one. When it happened a second time I got mother to ring them again and they finally told her its because my Pokemon was poisoned. I was 10.

I used to smash the A and B button together when trying to catch a Pokemon I really wanted as I thought it would help. Did that right up until (and incl) Gen 4.

I used to think the Special stat was how special the Pokemon was. The higher the stat, the more special it was to me.

I hated moves that didn't do damage. I always had the highest power regardless of whether it were special or physical (when I realised there was a reason for the special attack and defence inn Gen 4)

I traded a shiny Clefairy for a normal Gyarados at school.

I STILL do not understand how EVs work fully. I understand they affect the growth of a particular stat but I never know whether getting a pokemon at level 3 and the same at 53, all with maxed EVs, will have the same stats when it hits level 100 :(

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I remembered some more. 8D I'm embarassing~~~~~
    -I had a Sapphire game where my team was basically Blaziken and Kyogre, and that game got reset so I had no idea how to replay because I entirely forgot the gameplay, and ask ally redid all that with Blaziken and Kyogre. Though I have more teammates now.
    -My teams always consisted of an over leveled Starter and random Pokemon I happened to like.
    -I thought Growlithe evolved through Leveling up. So I have a level 59 Growlithe in said Sapphire version with that I can't get a Fire Stone on...
    - Despite the fact that my FireRed team had an under leveled Arcanine I evolved myself.
    -Said FireRed team was Blastoise, Eevee, Zapdos, Lapras, and two others I can't remember right now. Blastoise was the highest level other than Zapdos at level 42.
    -I thought Tropius looked strong so I caught one and immediately took it to the Pokemon League despite being Level 27. The Arcanine was the same.
    -I still like to pick my team as I go with Pokes that I like, even if we get beaten by EV trainers with their overpowered Tyranitars.
    -I usually pick random teams with random levels, but I once got a Silver rom my brother stopped playing with only a level 15 Totodile and I began to train teams equally at the same level with only 6 in the team since then, as I thought it would be funner and more challenging.
    -Even if not a Nuzlocke, I imagine my team and rivals and everything fitting together in a story, shippings, hate relations, and even sympathy for the bad guys. The trainers themselves have different personalities. This is why I can't play only one game at a time but not restarting my games either. >.<U
    -I once had a Rayquaza traded to my LeafGreen game and lost the game afterwards. I really miss him and my Venusaur. :(

Years
  • 1. I thought that if you were battling someone, the person who picked the move first, went first.

2. I was entirely ignorant to type weaknesses. (Maybe it's cuz I watched the show *cough*), but outside of water, grass, and electricity, I thought that super effective and not very effective moves were entirely based on luck. So most of my pokemon had the same moves that matched their type.

3) I didn't thing status moves were worth a damn.

4) I thought Legendaries were wayyyy better than any regular pokemon could ever be.

5) Hmm, oh, and I thought my Delcatty could destroy any pokemon Cuz it learned the move assist. It took me years to finally admit Delcatty isn't too great for battling purposes.

Years
  • AHAHA i spent hours looking for a psyduck in leaf green (it is exclusive to fire red) and after that my cousin said 'I will trade you one from my pokemon yellow' so we tried to trade pokemons form leaf grean to yellow ahahha I also thought that after defeating elite 4 i could explore all that green area that you see surrounding pokemon league.

Years
  • Here's another one: once when I was playing Black back in 2012 (before B2W2's English release), I was battling a Hiker's Boldore on Route 18. My Serperior got it to 1 HP, and the sound was off, so I zoned out and thought I was in a wild battle. I threw an Ultra Ball, and it said, "The trainer blocked the ball!" I was like, "What the...?" and then I turned up the volume and found out I was in a trainer battle. Years ago this would be excusable, but in 2012 with this technology? Ouch.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • Back when Generation III was all the rage, I actually believed that if your rocket count reached 100 in the Mossdeep Space Center, you would be able to fly up into space and fight Deoxys.

I was so gullible back then... ;-;

Colress Machine

The Colress Machine broke...
    Years
  • When I got my first Pokémon game, I didn't know what the PC was or how to use it. I wound up having a team consisting of my starter and something like a Pidgey, a Butterfree, and a few Rattatas for a good portion of the game until my friend showed me how to switch Pokémon.
    In this same game, I didn't know you had to trade your Machoke to get a Machamp. I leveled it up to level 100 and was so confused because I couldn't figure out how to evolve it for the life of me. I spent days level grinding that thing...
    I once accidentally overrode one of my old save files when I was little not knowing that you couldn't have more than one file (After beating the game and everything). I was so crushed. I was traumatized by that event.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My first Pokemon game was Yellow and I never beat Brock because I didn't understand the concept of Electric moves not affecting Ground Pokemon. Then I lost the damn thing.

Years
  • I remember getting so excited to see the pokemon move when Sapphire and Ruby came out all those years ago. I remember my cousin traded me a taillow because I hadn't caught one and I couldn't figure out why the back sprites looked different then the front sprites. I was so upset that my taillow looked different then all the other taillow. On top of that I remember encountering a zigzagoon and it used tail whip and I freaked out thinking it would hurt my poor treecko and then realized it did nothing. I laugh about it now though XD

Guest123123

I thought since a Master Ball catches any Pokemon "without fail" that I could use it to steal a trainer's Pokemon. It didn't work.

I taught my starter Cut, Rock Smash, etc. up to Gen 4.

I named myself "AAAAAAA" because I didn't know I could move to other letters.

This isn't gameplay related, but I remember an NPC in Lavender Town talking about a Squirtle that always got into mischief. That was my first time seeing the word mischief, so I thought it was either a Pokemon or a character I'd meet later.

Also not gameplay related, but I assumed your rival becoming Champion was something that would happen in every game. When it didn't become an inevitable pattern after RBY and I faced someone else as the Champion, I was shocked.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    In Pokemon Red I used a Master Ball on an Oddish.
    I traded my Mr Mime to my cousin for a Voltorb.
    I once thought Pokemon should only have moves of their own type, so I lost a battle with my very high level Haunter against a very low level Spearow.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    In Pokémon battles, if an opponent Pokémon is a same species as one of the Pokémon in my party, I switch to my (Insert Pokémon) if it is around the same level as the opponent Pokémon. I've done this for many years and counting.

Also, I like to troll the AI as much as possible, mainly because it is a huge troll in Gen I/II itself.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • 1) I learned the concept of EV Training (and the interaction of Natures, IVs, and stat building, etc) way too late compared to other long time fans and players alike. After a LOOOONG hiatus of playing pokemon, to playing on the ADV Gen of RSE and FRLG, and I have played a ton of Romhacks since then. I didn't know about EVs until I realized that the fan game Pokemon Zeta and Omicron even made several points about it through the game's NPCs. In short, it took a FAN MADE GAME for me to realize its existence. So basically, the pokemon in the Romhacks I downloaded (Light Platinum and Liquid Crystal, both being very challenging romhacks in their own right) have all my pokemon with really bad stats. Now whenever i play a new file on a Gen 3 and beyond game, I carefully devote my starting time soft resetting till a get a starter with a good nature (I still haven't experienced the One try, Adamant Perfect ATK IV Torchic, but I did experience the one Try Mild Perfect Special Attack and Speed IVs Sceptile on Emerald)

2) Fennekin is my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon mainly for its appearance.

3) On my first playthrough of Pokemon Gold more than a few years ago, I didn't realize that the Red Gyarados was a special one-time only encounter, so I KO'd it because it was crushing my party.

4) I thought that Flareon was the best Eeveelution. Dear Sylveon i was wrong.

5) I didn't know about STAB back then. It took me a while to wonder why some moves, even if they are super effective against the other, aren't dealing the damage that I want to deal. Then there's that water pokemon NPC who's spamming Surf and dealing truckloads of damage even if its "not-very effective"

6) I actually believed the whole thing about Missingno killing your save file. I was wondering why my Gen I friends all had lvl100 Pokemon, with all the viable moves, and were already battling each other through link cable while I was still stuck leveling post-Mewtwo capture. Some of my friends still owe me their cloned TMs.

7) Back in Gen 2 G&S, I thought Sudowoodo was a Grass type, so i sicked my Quilava against the tree and i got surprised that my Flame Wheel didn't deal any damage.

8) Again, another young self Gen2 moment from me, I actually got swept by Bugsy's Fury Cutting Scyther and Whitney's Rolling Cow in my first attempts against them. I was really new to Gold and I was playing a Japanese cartridge of it so I had no idea what moves they were pulling off. *Japanese Text* Young me: Hah, that didn't deal damage. Second turn, okay that's still not doing damage, let me hit you again. 3rd Turn; WHAT THE HELL? What happened? All i saw was an animation and my pokemon suddenly got bursted down. 4th Turn; Really? One hit!?. 5th Turn: "....." It was even worse on Bugsy's Scyther. Once he hits that 1st Cutter, and he hits the 3rd, its pretty much a total party kill.

9) Aside from the red Gyarados, the only time I've encountered a Shiny wild pokemon in actual hardware (not emulation) was in Gold, where I saw a shiny Pidgey. I never realized the value of Shiny pokemon in Gen2 until a few years ago.

Back