• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

30 Days of Gaming V2

Renyui!

ascender
Years
  • Day 26

I'll have to say I'm not the biggest fan of voice acting. In the games that I play, voice acting is pretty poor (e.g. JRPGs) but I guess some can pull it off pretty well. One example from what I've been recently playing is probably Final Fantasy XIII-2. Surprisingly, for a FF game, the voice acting is pretty decent, especially Noel's. I wouldn't say it's my favourite, but I'm not a huge fan of voice acting, so I'll go with that for now.

Day 27

The final battle in Bayonetta. I'll spoiler alert it for peeps who want to play it. (and you should!)

Spoiler:

Day 28

I'll have to say a tie between Square Enix aaaaaaaand Atlus. They are both amazing companies who have produced amazing games. If anything, I'd probably be tipped slightly more towards Atlus. I'd go as far as saying that all of the games developed by them have all been A rang games in my books. Every single Shin Megami Tensei title is incredibly expansive and creative. Tactics Ogre is amazing. Etrian Odyssey is genius. I could go on forever.

Day 29

Probably way way back when I was 12, and first picked up FF tactics advance. I was totally loyal to the Final Fantasy formula, and wasn't sure if I'd like any variation on it. I borrowed it from a friend, and was pretty hesitant at first, but now I love it, and the whole series. It's a genius combination of FF's job system and strategic gaming.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • Day 27

Ending of MGS3. Loved the scenes at the end of this game.

Day 28

Has to be Square for me. Played so many of their games over the years and they still make some great games now.

Day 29.

Disgaea, First time I picked this game up it was because it was part of a deal, didn't look that impressive and I planned to try it then sell it. But it turned out to be a fantastic game and I have played all of them.

Cid

Years
  • Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving:

WarioWare: Touched! I didn't really get the concept when I first saw it and thought it was silly. Granted it was my first of the series, and I don't really think it's that easy to see how it could act like a decent game with its one-of-a-kind style. Then I played it and man, I loved it again and again. Especially the microgames from 8-Bit and his pal. Gotta love the retro references there.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • Day 24 - Favorite classic game
    My favorite "Classic" game is probably Mario Kart 64 on the Nintendo 64, just because it brings back so many fun memories.

Day 25 - A game you plan on playing
    Borderlands 2 is going to be my most played game this year for lots of reasons. It took me a few years to finally stop playing the first one, and the second one will keep me occupied for a long time.

Day 26 - Best voice acting

The Metal Gear Solid series has always had great voice acting compared to other games that I have played.

Day 27 - Most epic scene ever

The "Cardboard Box Tank" conversation in Peace Walker. It's not exactly epic, but it's hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Spoiler:

Day 28 - Favorite game developer

Kojima Productions
    , for their excellent work with the Metal Gear series.

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving:
    There has been lots of games that were misleading, or were advertised poorly, but are actually amazing games to play. An example of this (for me) is Oblivion. I used to see reviews for it, and I always thought it was the most stupid RPG ever. Everything about it was just weird to me, and the screenshots that I used to see of the game made it look like some fail RPG, even though it always got good reviews. Then my cousin introduced me to the game and wanted me to play it. I at first declined, but she insisted on it, and ever since that day, I started playing Oblivion more to the point where I purchased it on the 360, and PC for modding purposes. It also introduced me to the Elder Scrolls series, and led me to purchasing Skyrim in the end.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 29

WWF No Mercy (N64) is a game that I have no clue how it came into my possession as kid, but after looking at cover of the game I put aside for who knows how long. Eventually, after running out of things to play I decide to give it a shot. :surprised: Man, what a fun game that was; spent countless hours creating my own characters then using them in the awesome story mode. Definitely one my favorite N64 titles and actually got me into wrestling back in the day.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • Day 30 - Your favourite game of all time

Spoiler:

Care to take a guess anyone? That's right, my favourite video game of all time is Tales of the Abyss. Believe it or not, ever since becoming a gamer back in 2009, I had always told myself that I don't have a favourite video game and that I never would. Playing Tales of the Abyss completely changed that sentiment.

As an experience, Tales of the Abyss definitely had a rather substantial impact on my life. The engaging plot and interactions between characters, the fast-paced yet addictive battle system, the gargantuan amount of content... this game really left me satisfied in just about every regard. I was simply astounded by how much work was put into this game, especially its story. It's quite literally as if you are playing through an interactive anime, and being 60+ hours in length really justifies that. Namco's efforts in balancing the game's gravity and humour is simply remarkable. For the love of god, I almost cried playing this game! An emotional roller coaster would be a rather metaphoric way of describing it.

Going into this game, I had very little experience with real-time battle systems. The only one I had witnessed prior to playing was that of Secret of Mana, which I can't say I was the biggest fan of. That said, the transition to Tales of the Abyss left me feeling quite elated. Though it takes a short while for the combat to take lift off, I absolutely loved fighting enemies and bosses alike. The diversity is really quite impressive, it offers a fair amount of challenge, and more than anything it's just plain fun.

The game's soundtrack is also quite impressive. A welcoming mix of beautiful, charming, emotional, and epic tunes makes every waking minute of this game and absolute thrill to indulge in.

Content-wise, the game couldn't be more expansive unless it was an MMORPG. Quite frankly, I find this fascinating. To experience absolutely everything Tales of the Abyss has to offer, it is required that two playthroughs are engaged, and it's definitely worth it. Odds are it will take 150 hours at the very least to complete. Immense amounts of controversy lie within the game's replay value, but it certainly appeals to me personally.

As my first game in the series, Tales of the Abyss greatly contributed to my devotion, and I simply cannot wait to try out more. Hell, I'm even planning on buying an Xbox 360 just to play Tales of Vesperia and nothing else! And to think I never would've never had the opportunity to play this masterpiece if it wasn't for its introduction cinematic being posted on YouTube...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time

Well, this is an obvious one for all you people who know where my theme is from; Silent Hill 2.

This game has been my favourite for a while. I played it first time and really liked it, then didn't touch if for a while. I came back to it like, a year ago and played through it. Only then I really understood how amazing it really is. It is manly because it blows all horror games, old and new, out of the water with its thick atmosphere and mind twisting plot! :D

Thank you everyone for posting in this thread. It has been awesome to read over everyones replies. Next time, I might make my own up. :D

Until then...​

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Day 30

I've tried avoiding mentioning the game too often, and while it's true many games do lot a lot better in certain aspects, no game has left me with the feeling that Mother (NES) did. Hell, a lot of people could argue it's two sequel are far superior in every aspect it too.

For starters, the setting itself was completely original at the time of it's release in '89. Just about every RPG was set in some fantasy/medieval type of world, but this game is set in modern day rural America. Featuring some 12 year-old boy who possesses physic powers due to the fact that his grandfather stole the secrets from Aliens while he was abducted.

Gameplay is nothing revolutionary, but I still love and prefer the good ole' turn-based combat system which fewer RPGs are moving away from. A soundtrack is never make or break for a game, but can only enhance your overall enjoyment, which is what does here. (Pollyanna is one my all time favorite songs) A lot of the tracks you hear in Melee and Brawl originated from the first Mother game.

Taking into perspective the time of it's release, the story is told rather well but with some minor flaws. You're pretty much fighting against a race of mind-enslaving aliens and collecting the Eight Melodies as you do in Earthbound and Mother 3 (in this case, needles) The comedy and quirkiness the series is known for is in full effect as well as those sad and emotional moments.

I can go on and on, but I think I've covered the basics for the most part. This was quite the fun thread, and hopefully in the next one we'll see a lot more "least favorite" topics as those are always a lot more fun to answer. :laugh:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Day 29

I got a list
    Mirrors edge
    Assassins creed series
    Lost planet series
    Resident Evil series
    Homefront
    GTA series
    (I could go on all day)

Day 30

Half-Life 2

There may be no cut scenes. No quick time. None of the amazing things of next gen games, and it is still better than all of them. It test your intelligence with puzzles, has a very immersive universe, intense firefights, and a fun, creative community always making new content within the lore (Just look up Garrysmod)

Years
  • Day 29 - A Game You Thought You Wouldn't Like but ended up loving:
    Uh... I don't generally try games unless they seem interesting, so I kinda don't have an answer for this, ahahahaha.

Day 30 - All-Time Favorite Game:

SIM CITY 4 DELUXE EDITION, SON. I've spent considerable amounts of my life just building cities and browsing fansites for downloadable content to put into my cities. I think I've spent more time on this game than I have on Pokemon!

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Favourite game: I'm torn off between Wind Waker and Paper Mario 2. They gave me weeks' worth of entertainment, I have beaten them several times with all their extras and I still have fun when I pick them around 10 years later. Their music is awesome, the gameplay is fabulous and they never seem to bore me. I don't think I can ask for more from a videogame.

Cid

Years
  • Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time:

It's hard to pick just one, but I'll go with Kingdom Hearts II. It's just amazing how much work was put into that game. Gameplay-wise, it's actually quite good, enough to say for example, that the battle system feels fresh and interesting. And even though this same system is widely criticized to not require skill-- just button mashing with both the Reaction Command and the Attack buttons, I really don't mind (honestly, the lack of skill required is not entirely true, just pick the hardest difficulty all the time if you find it that easy). But yeah I still enjoyed the flashy sequences and over-the-top acrobatics, 'cause it just feels right for the game.

The fact that it includes an enormous amount of detail into its worlds (admittedly some might have done better with more NPCs to add depth and the illusion of a bustling locale), just makes it all engrossing to continue playing. And speaking of the worlds, one of the best things about Kingdom Hearts is that it always includes these miniature replicas taken straight from Disney canon that just, quite honestly, solidifies the experience. Reliving The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Hercules, Mulan, etc. really brought back memories, reminding me of how great Disney's works were, and how good the Disney people are at voice acting! And I'm so happy that generally each character, be it an original one, from Final Fantasy or Disney, bursts with emotion (except Aerith, her VA there was horrible).

Plot is confusing yet wonderful, less damaging on the former if you're a fan. The story starts off well, first featuring a quite likeable protagonist which honestly showed how much he deserved his own game in Days (the intro-slash-tutorial is also ten times better to play right after finishing Days). The rest of the game it's good ol' Sora, and as epic as the plot is, the best part about it is that it ends on a warm note.

So yeah. How this game fulfilled the expectations and makes me love the characters I grew to love in the first one is wonderful. It's just a one-of-a-kind experience to play. So it honestly deserves praise.

- - -

EDIT: Yay thank you Captain Fabio for doing this. :D
    Even though I jumped in late I'm still happy I went through with it until the end.

Last edited:

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • Day 30

I'm going to have to go with Mother 3. Never before has a game moved me, or entertained me as this amazing Jap exclusive sequel has.

I'd always been a fan of the original Earthbound. It was one of the games I owned on my SNES. When I found out, back in '06, that a sequel had been released, I was so excited for the translation. And when I got it, I loaded it up onto my homebrewed wii, for nostalgic purposes. I wanted this to feel like the true sequel to such a unique game.

I finished it all in 3 days, and was mindblown. It combined amazing game mechanics, with not-quite-a-typical-jrpg story, and cute sprite graphics. I played it through again, though more extensively about a week later. I loved it, from it's thrilling beginning to it's tear-wrenching finale. This game has, and most likely always will, hold number one in my books.

It's been good, y'all. Thanks for the entertaining posts!

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Day 27 - Most epic scene ever:

I don't know if I can pick just one scene! There are so many! I might go ahead and say vaguely "the ending cutscenes of Kingdom Hearts II". The music is probably what gets me the most but pretty much any scene from TWTNW on is epic to me. The final boss fights and what goes in between though? *u* They will always be epic to me even if I cannot take Xemnas seriously in the slightest. On that note, most of the KH opening FMVs are pretty epic too. Especially 3D's.

Day 28 - Favorite game developer:

Gotta go with Valve. I haven't even played all of their games (or even most?) but I love everything they do and their attitude is so fresh and wonderful. Other companies make games I like better, but if there is any developer I wish would set the example for the industry, it's Valve.

Left 4 Dead, probably. I don't usually like anything even remotely horror-related, I'm not good at FPS games, and I've never been overly enthusiastic about zombies. But L4D became one of my favourite games once I finally tried it out! I'm so glad I decided to give it a try based solely on the fact that it was a Valve game. (At the time, all I'd played by them was Portal.) :D

Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time:

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. I think my favourite part about this being my favourite game (this is a dumb sentence) is that when it was announced and essentially right up until its initial release date, I didn't have much interest in this game. Yeah, I bought a PSP mainly for the KH game I knew would come out for the console, but I'd gotten the PSP like a year in advance for Crisis Core. So now, I look at my shelf and see three copies of the game (JP, NA, JP - Final Mix), it seems kind of ridiculous that I wasn't looking forward to it at all. XD;

I've poured so many hours into this game and I love it to pieces. I've played through tons of times, once at level 1, and I always find interesting things in the gameplay to keep me going. I love the story and the characters and the whole fandom that goes with it. I also love all the mini games (except fruit ball, never fruit ball) and all the extra battles and all the EVERYTHING.

---

That was fun! Glad I got to participate this time. :D

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • Day 30 - Your favorite game of all time:

This is a really hard decision for me, mainly because there are so many great games out there. I just pick one, out of my many favorites, Resident Evil 4. It's a great game that I can always to back to and replay over and over without getting bored of it. I can always do either the main story or mercenaries, and if that's not enough, screwing around with all the weapons unlocked and fully upgraded on professional is even more fun.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Day 24 - Favorite classic game
    Super Mario World. Just replayed it in fact

Day 25 - A game you plan on playing
    Soon, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker...again.

Day 26 - Best voice acting
    The Mass Effect series.

Day 27 - Most epic scene ever
    I've no clue.

Day 28 - Favorite game developer
    Nintendo. They own me forever XD All my favourite franchises are from them. They provided me with my childhood memories.

Mass Effect. It just doesn't seem like my kind of game. Plot heavy RPG. But I gave it a shot and love it.

Day 30 - Favourite game of all time
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and Banjo-Kazooie. It is a tie. I've played both of these to death. And while I think MM is superior to OoT, OoT holds the nostalgia value for me.

Back