• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on single stage Pokemon?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Excluding legendary pokemon in this group. The majority of people I've notice prefer Pokemon that evolve. Though the single stage pokemon range in a wide variety in battle and design, I personally like most of them.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't mind them. One of my favorites to use is Spinda, and last time I played through emerald with Torkoal.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
They are great and need more love. The only problem is the vast majority aren't great competitively. I would say half deserve evolutions and half are perfect as they are.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
They are great and need more love. The only problem is the vast majority aren't great competitively. I would say half deserve evolutions and half are perfect as they are.

What single stage do you think is a good example of needing an evolution?

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
Most single stage pokemon are underwhelming in the late game. At the beginning they cool and powerful, but after a while they just cant carry their own weight. Of course there are some really strong one stage pokemon, but I just prefer other pokemon.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Ironically some of them are some of the most creatively designed Pokémon in the game imo (Absol, Spinda, Farfetch'd, Unown, Girafarig, Ditto, Minior, Mimikiyu), but I still tend to not use them too much because they don't seem to hold up much past the early game. I have gotten some really powerful ones before though - Farfetch'd is almost always my Kanto ace, and twice have I used a powerful Absol as a sweeper. Maybe I should be trying out some of the different ones too

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
What single stage do you think is a good example of needing an evolution?

I would say Jynx. I think everyone thought she would get one after Electabuzz and Magmar did, since she got a baby form with them but who knows why they didn't do it.

I like them a lot. A lot of my favorites don't evolve like Snorlax, Lapras, Heracross and Mimikyu has become a new favorite.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
bouffalant, hawlucha, girafarig, tauros, skarmory, basculin , druddigon, dhelmise are awesome imo
relicanth, pkykumyuku, maractus, zangoose, seviper, solrock and lunatone, farfetch'd have pretty great designs too.
(heracross and sableye are sweet, but do they count with their mega evos?)

Years
Sigilyph, Hawlucha, and Mimikyu are some of my favorite Pokemon from their respective generations, and if you don't count mega evolutions or other forms, then Absol, Heracross, and Rotom are right up there as some of my favorites as well. I honestly don't think that all Pokemon need an evolution to be good, though there are definitely those out there (first few that come to mind are Farfetch'd, Qwilfish, and Luvdisc) that I'd never think of using just because I know they won't get any better.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Qwilfish isn't that bad, it has a nice typing and later generations intimidate which makes it decently defensive + a tolerable attack stat and a good support movepool. Definitely better than Farfetch'd and Luvdisc in battle.

Skarmory, Smeargle and Heracross are definitely my favorite single stages, Mantine was too before it got a pre-evolution.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Ironically some of them are some of the most creatively designed Pok?mon in the game imo (Absol, Spinda, Farfetch'd, Unown, Girafarig, Ditto, Minior, Mimikiyu), but I still tend to not use them too much because they don't seem to hold up much past the early game. I have gotten some really powerful ones before though - Farfetch'd is almost always my Kanto ace, and twice have I used a powerful Absol as a sweeper. Maybe I should be trying out some of the different ones too
Same, basically. Many are super interesting because they have to be interesting off the bat instead of relying on evolving in order to become cool. But my Zangoose and Skarmory held their own throughout Ruby so there are definitely good unevolving pok?mon too <3

Years
There are a few here and there that have their place on even in-game teams, but for the most part some unevolved Pokemon are seen as underwhelming and underpowered in contrast to other Pokemon that evolve.

Although interestingly enough, there are Pokemon like Miltank, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Skarmory, Absol, Klefki, as well as others that can definitely stand out among the crowd of single stage Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Wether a Pok?mon evolves or not has no relevance on wether I like it and/or use it. That said, Farfetch'd, Lapras and Aerodactyl are some of my favourites in this category.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
Lapras is definitely among them. Then there's Mawile, Aerodactyl, Drampa, Klefki, Sableye, Spinda, Kekleon and Komala!

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Do I like some of them? Of course yes. Do I use them? Sadly, no? There is a satisfaction with having your Pokemon evolve.

But I have to say, I do play with a Furfrou on Ultra Sun, and I loved it. In the beginning f the game it was strong. I'll probably breed one for a battle team.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I care if a Pokemon is good, not that it evolves.

Single stage Pokemon are actually great to have at the very start. They can handle even the big boys way better than a stage 1 or 2.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 20, 2024
I'm not generally fond of the execution overall, since too many I personally dislike (or used to dislike) are those that ends up being too gimmicky or weak to me for reliably use.

It makes sense why single-staged Pokémon exists; they serves as "pre-promotion" for early game or mid-game and aren't made to catch up to lategame, encouraging players to swap around accordingly. In practice, many people ends up being too attached with the ones they caught, but there are many that ended up disappointing, which indeed encouraged them to swap out.

A look onto a Smogon Forums' Orange Island thread on in-game popularity will speak volume on how much people are not really willing to give single-staged Pokémon a chance, with only Laprass, Snorlax (in Gen 1 and the remakes), Heracross, and Mimikyu managed to reach the top ten. Many of the single-staged Pokémon ended up among bottom ten (or less depending on the game) for various reasons.

And even if the single-staged Pokémon are barely more appealing to the audience due to being new, same cannot be said with returning Pokémon that remained single-stage, causing the audience to become increasingly unhappy with them. And while each Pokémon has their fan, popularity is an important factor on if the Pokémon is welcomed with open arm or if it is just a hopeless filler no one asked for a return or focus unless they are expending upon it.

Not even later generations are safe from getting detested single-staged Pokémon either, with Bruxish and Stonjourner being the worst of them all.

The existence of too many single-staged Pokémon that are way too gimmicky for their own good, in example Castform, Spinda, pre-Gen 5 Ditto, or flat-out duds, with Volbeat and Illumise being by bottom two amongst them, even than Luvdisc, overshadow the goods among them like Zangoose vs Seviper, a good amount of Gen 7 single-stages like Oricorio, Aerodactyl caused me to have a very negative opinion about single-stage Pokémon, especially weak-looking ones, due to overall awful execution. If you wholeheartedly disagree, more power to you.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Many single stage Pokémon are pretty good in my opinion. Sigilyph is probably my favorite out the bunch. It's such an unique-looking, underrated, and barely mentioned Pokémon. I also love Tauros too, as well as Druddigon because they're fun to use with Sheer Force. Also, they're both quite underrated. Mimikiyu is one of the best Pokémon you can use hands down, and Ditto, of course, is perhaps the best revenge killer in Pokémon. However, a good amount of them also aren't the strongest Pokémon, but it makes sense when you consider the fact that you don't have to work to level them up.

Years
Some of single stage Pokémon are my favourites. For example Audino, Snorlax, Pyukumuku or Heracross.

I think single stage Pokémon have overall good design and can usually hold their own throughout the whole game. But lately, l feel like they either have interesting gimmick or don't stand out.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Some of single stage Pokémon are my favourites. For example Audino, Snorlax, Pyukumuku or Heracross.

I think single stage Pokémon have overall good design and can usually hold their own throughout the whole game. But lately, l feel like they either have interesting gimmick or don't stand out.

I am assuming that you are referring to the older games such as generations I-III, as Snorlax evolves from Munchlax.

Back