• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I've. Used. It. So. Many. Times.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Do you guys prefer using different stuff, or the same thing again and again?

pkmin3033

Those few times I have replayed a Pokemon game, I have tended to try to use different Pokemon for variety, but I've always kept a few "core" Pokemon on my team, mostly because of the lack of an acceptable substitute. I don't feel right if I don't use the regional Normal/Flying type on my team, though. Every Pokemon game I've ever played, I've always had a starter route bird, and I'm too old to change now.

Years
If Zubats are available early in the game, I will always catch one. I've made it a sort of tradition lol. Crobat is too hype to pass.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I've used Zubat a lot, and the Slowpoke family a couple times. I do use a few of the same Pokemon every once in awhile, but I do like to use different ones when I play new save files. But, I honestly can't pass up on Pokemon I've used before sometimes, you know? Despite there being over 800 Pokemon now, I can't use all of them LMFAO.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I try to vary most of the time, but there's always at least one fellow that stays in the team. In FR it was the Hitmon of my choice and in RSE it's Aggron (and Milotic if I can find a Feebas), for example.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I've used Venusaur, Raichu, Nidoking, Machamp, Lapras, Feraligatr, Ampharos, and Houndoom more often than I can remember. Not that I mind it, because I love them.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
I also use Ampharos in every Pokémon Colosseum run, but that's because of the lack of electric types more than anything. It's literally the only one you get aside from Raikou.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I used to have a specific set of Pokémon for each game (I love Venusaur and Nidoking, for instance), but as of now I try to avoid repetition.
On my first playthrough, I try to guess the best mons of that generation, on the second one I try to build the best possible non-legendaries team, then the second best on my third playthrough, and so on.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Yes and I do get sick of certain Pokemon.

Kanto starters so much that I'm getting to the point where I box them.

Johto is reaching that.

I used Crobat in about 5 or 6 playthroughs. I took about a 2 year break from having one on my team. And am now using Crobat again.

Years
Yeah I used to do this a whole lot tbf, was really guilty of using similar Pokemon in playthroughs of a certain region. But recently I've started branching out a lot, and replaying every game in lockdown I've made sure to switch it up as well. Although, I can never seem to avoid Ampharos, Floatzel and Flygon :')

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
Most of the time I just do the same things over and over, such as picking the same starters in certain games and teaching them pretty much the same moves. There are still plenty of Pokemon that I've barely ever used before.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
If Zubats are available early in the game, I will always catch one. I've made it a sort of tradition lol. Crobat is too hype to pass.

Words of wisdom. Crobat's the best bat.

I've used Crobat, Luxray, Staraptor, Garchomp and Excadrill (and if it's the same region/ROM hack, I use starters that I've already used) lines numerous times and I don't even get bored with them because I enjoy using them. And they all have amazing designs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I'm not one of those who after a certain point can just box away their starters (although I did ditch a Meganium in HeartGold after the Pokémon League in order to bring in my Extremespeed Dratini), yet love both Bulbasaur and Charizard so much I've never ever used Squirtle, despite owning LeafGreen for 12 years now.
I've owned quite a few Togekiss due to getting given the egg in three of the games I own (LG, Pt, HG). Big on dragons too, very often found with a Salamence in Emerald, or a Dragonite and/or Gyarados in LG / HG (not a big Garchomp guy though). Oh, and there's such a nostalgia factor when I re-play Emerald that combines with the fact that they're all good Pokémon that I can easily traverse Hoenn with only Pokémon captured in the first 3 routes in that region (Lotad and Ralts' line in particular are favourites).
Despite that I do try to use different Pokémon as much as possible, aided by the fact I have a storage save in Gen IV so have Pokémon going back to 2011. For example despite a preference towards only using Pokémon introduced with the region I'm playing, I'm finally using Gengar, Machamp and Vaporeon on my current HeartGold team.

Years
Usually tends to be a mix! There are some mons I just can't pass up on using, like Ampharos and Raichu. Used them soo many times now. I try not to have a team full of mons I've used before though since that can get boring haha :<

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
To expound on my earlier Dragon monotype every time...Druddigon is one who has found his way onto my finalized endgame E4 team more than once...

Sure- He's not as fast as Garchomp or Salamence...doesn't hit with the heavy Special Attack of Goodra or Kingdra...but he hits extremely hard physically and there is a VERY small pool of types of moves he can't use, be it breeding or TM...just many different sets you can utilize and he will take hit after hit...plus he is able to learn moves that are usually Super-effective against all four E4 members....he's always an a shoe-in for a final member to round out the team.

And Rough Skin? Game over.

Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 7, 2024
nowadays i try to vary it up, but honestly if i'm replaying an individual game there's likely gonna be some pokés that just are always on my team. i don't know if i've ever done a run of dppt without a drifblim and probably a garchomp in my team for at least a while

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
Years
Kingdra is another I've used in finalized teams more than once...Tyrantrum also....I mean not only are they so great and fun...the fact the Water/Rock Dragons are so low doesn't really give any other choices or options really.

Back