• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny Odds were 1 in 8,092

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I actually can't say much about the increased shiny chances, because even though I've played gen 6+ a lot, most shinies I've encountered so far were back in the older games when the chance was still lower. It's cool that you can get them easier while still keeping them somewhat of a special thing, though; especially for those who like to shiny hunt!

I personally don't mind either way. I'm not much into shinies.

Years
  • The higher ones are better! Even with the new odds it still feels nice getting a shiny. Back in the older days I barely managed to get any and while I guess that made existing shinies more elusive, it sucked that I probably wouldn't get the ones I wanted since it was so hard.

Years
  • considering that i've gotten my first shinies in gen 7 and shiny hunted quite a bit in gen 8, i definitely think the higher odds are better! as tedious as even masuda methoding is in gen 8, i've gotten far more shinies that route than any generation previously so the recent gens win out for me there. :>

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've managed to find quite a few full-odds shinies in pre-Gen 6 games oved the years

Always feels better finding a shiny when the chance of finding one is lower

pkmin3033

At the numbers we have it doesn't really feel like the odds have changed at all tbh.

No I am not bitter that I haven't had a single shiny in years, leave me alone

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I like how they de-coupled shinies from IVs after gen 2, having to get shinies for certain hidden power IV values was hell.

Years
  • I always thought of shinies as something extra rare, so I prefer lower rates. But it's still a nice surprise, when you get one even with higher rates.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man for not caring for the change. It's inoffensive, and you virtually never ran into wild shinies. But it's not like they are important, and that's why it was so cool to do so when you actually did. Despite this, I don't like how the shiny charm in BDSP only works when breeding.

Years
  • I have yet to run into any shinnies in the later games, but I do prefer having lower odds. The luckiest I got was a shiny tentacruel in Heart Gold, and then years later I found another shiny tentacruel in regular Gold. Same route too.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I've only ever encountered a wild shiny in Gen 3. But I also don't go actively looking for them either lol. I prefer the newer rates even if I don't actively search for them.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I still find so few shinies in regular gameplay with the new odds that they seem special, so its definitely a good thing they changed it.

That said, randomly encountering a shiny Gloom on the way to Johto's Safari Zone was so special, its a Vileplume with almost every ribbon I could give it now - and I never even liked Vileplume!

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • I think the new odds are fine, as still lets full odds hunters hunt their way without, hopefully, going too crazy. I remember seeing someone shiny hunt a natu for 2 years, and that is a little much...

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Old odds wouldn't make sense with today's gameplay because of the Exp. curve in the modern games.

Even at lower odds, you'd be probably more likely to find random shinies in the old games because battling wild Pokémon as you normally played through the game was actually a thing, and was sometimes necessary.

In the modern Pokémon games, I usually find myself getting through entire areas without battling a single wild Pokémon (unless there's something I want to catch) because there's just no need to battle wilds for the Exp due to the modern Exp. Share. In fact I purposely avoid battling a lot of times for level caps. You can sometimes even overlevel by simply battling trainers...

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I do not miss the original 1/8192 shiny odds. I only found a small handful of shinies in the original games. I soft resetted on and off for a shiny legendary for 11 months at 1/8192 shiny odds. Not fun! With the current odds, I can find and enjoy shinies more easily. Also, I don't have as much free time now as I did 20 years ago so shiny hunting methods such as outbreaks/chaining are much appreciated features.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I used to proud myself as a kid for knowing the shiny rate since it was such an oddly specific number. I never encountered any full odds shinies at the old rate, but my brother did once... for a booger green shiny Stantler. Even with the shiny charm in White 2, I've yet to find any wild shinies... but back to the original question, I guess I do prefer the lowered rate.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I never really cared too much about Shiny Pokémon, unless the Pokémon was a personal favorite and had a pretty color scheme. Thus, I never cared much about the Shiny odds. However, I have been finding a lot of Shiny Pokémon lately in Pokémon Violet and save video of it because the moments are still lit. I also still highly appreciate it when I am gifted Shiny Pokémon by other players because I know they are expressing their feelings by giving away something they likely worked hard to get.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I liked when shinies were rarer and more difficult to get. I don't like the nonsense that is the more recent games were getting a Shiny Pokemon is as easy as walking into a wormhole and travelling really far. Always found that kind of eh.

The shiny odds in Sword and Shield being dependent on how many Pokemon you battled of the same species has also never really felt special, if you ask me. Always liked how it was before they made it 1 in 4,096. Not sure why but getting Shinies is just too easy now. I've definitely found my fair share of shinies when the odds were still 1 in 8,092. I feel like apart from US/UM, I've actually found a lot less in the later games.

Although, getting Shinies is much more likely than finding a normal Chansey holding a Lucky Egg in HG/SS, at least. Did I ever talk about the time I was hunting for a Chansey holding a Lucky Egg to complete my Pokedex in HeartGold and found two completely random shiny Pokemon instead, Nidorino and Skiploom in the same day? Or around the same day, anyway.

Nothing will ever feel as special to me as when the odds were 1 in 8,092.

Back