• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books 2021 Reading Challenge

Years
2021 Reading Challenge
Hello, welcome to the 2021 PokéCommunity Reading challenge! The idea is - we pledge to read a certain number of books in 2021, and try to keep each other accountable! One issue of a comic book series counts as a book, and one volume of manga counts as a book as well. You can track what you read by posting here as you read it, log it on a spreadsheet, or on GoodReads. I plan to read a minimum of twenty books in 2021. Participants
  • erik destler, 0/20 Books
  • Dawn, 0/100 Books
  • Inky, 0/20 Books
  • Janp, 0/30 Books
  • Circus, 7/25 Books
  • Bay, 1/10 Books
  • BlueWyvern4, 0/6 Books
  • Figure, 0/15 Books
  • Hyzenthelay, 2/35 Books
  • Mercury, 0/5 Books
  • Astromancer, 0/5 Books
  • Roni, 0/5 Books
  • Ivysaur, 26/100 Books
  • Soaring Sid, 0/20 Books
  • baire, 4/10 Books
  • Aslan, 10/25 Books

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Count me in again for another 100 books. I will endeavour to keep a list! I am going to try and make at least a third of it novels (I want to read through the Shannara series from start to finish since Terry FINALLY published the last book and it's been like 5 years since I read them) even if the rest of it is various Marvel/DC comics, haha.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Hello :femme2:

I don't read anywhere near enough and i need something else to think 'I should really be doing that' about so count me down for 20

Years
Joining again with 30 books, please. My plans are to finish ASoIaF series, read through whole Harry Potter, more nordic horror and detective stories and go back to Steven King's work.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
Let's go with a safe-ish 25 - if it's too little I can up that number later.

There are a couple of series I've been meaning to reread, and some books I wanted to try out in different languages to improve comprehension so it should work out in the end.

Bay

Years
So I want to try to get back to reading books again. I think for now I'll go with 10 books. Some books I want to try out reading are Cemetery Boys, Watership Down, and the His Dark Materials series. Probably also Mo Dao Zu Shi (the book the Chinese drama series The Untamed was based off of), but that one is extra long and probably will save that for last lol.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 16, 2021
I've been meaning to read more, so hopefully this will serve as a good reminder! I'm gonna go with a small goal of 6.

Years
I am going to aim for 15. I have been reading on chess and it is a slooow burn. Being that way because I visualize the moves in the books, then play them out on a board, and I like to do that several times before I move on.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
I think I can handle a good 35 books for 2021 in between studying! Can we drop by this thread once we've completed each book?

Years
I'm setting 5 books as a goal because I didn't meet last year's goal in time! (there's no way I can read the remaining 140 pages in 2 hours)

Goal List:
Love & Respect (301/301 pages)
The Old Man and the Sea (0/127 pages)
Camino Island (0/290)
Philip's Guide to Weather (0/199 pages)
Bad Astronomy (0/257)

completed (1 outta 5)
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
Years
[1/35]

Finished my first book today! I have a weakness for animal stories, and The Cricket in Times Square was an enchanting one. Well written with dialogue that sets the characters apart nicely and brings them to life! Certainly a story that can be enjoyed at any age, even if it's a children's book. It's about 150 pages - short, but I'm a slow reader anyway so it's an encouraging start. :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Hm, I really don't read much. But when I do, I've liked it, burying myself completely in a story...

Let's go with 5 books.

On top of that, I should also finish Worm! It kind of counts as 173839 books, but the bit I have left can maybe count as one fat book. So 6 in total is my aim, then ^^

Years
Really not much of a reader but I feel like challenging myself a bit this year.

Setting a small goal of 5 books for myself to get started. Don't even know where to begin but let's get it on.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Add me up with 100? Sounds like a fair amount for me, considering I've already read one book and 3 comics since the year began...

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
I like the fire every one has here. It's been a while since I've read any book outside my school/college books.
Sign me up! I'll set a target of 20 books, that's 20 more than the books I've read last year X_X

I hope I get the rhythm going

How do I join?

Hi there :-)
I believe you just have to let them know you're in and set a target

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
Wow, congrats Hyzen & Went for already having made some progress!! Thanks everyone for showing interest, I've added y'all to the first post.

Bay

Years
e505f4fb138cfa634d18afb4ff278bfb.png

[1/10] Cemetery Boys - Aiden Thomas

So the first book I read for the reading challenge is Aiden Thomas's Cemetery Boys. It's about a boy named Yadriel who was trying to summon the spirit of his cousin but instead summoned a different spirit, Julian. The two boys investigate what happened to Julian that then led to some interesting results.

Spoiler:

Yeah, so that's Cemetery Boys! Overall loved that book. My next book will be Watership Down I think, but I won't get to it for a little while.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I forgot to record my books from 2020 but will put it down in the thread this time! I'll put myself down for 25 again :D I somehow read 4 books over the New Year break as I had a lot of spare time but have a feeling I will be reading a lot less once uni starts :(

Edit: Going to just update all the books I've read into a single post! The books I've read so far are:

[17/25]

Spoiler:

Decided I'm also going to have a to read list that I can come back to, may read these next but more just a note for myself if I need something to read!

To read:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
So, I just finished rereading the Percy Jackson and the OIympian series. Since it's a reread, I decided to count them as "half-books" for the purposes of this challenge.

[2.5 / 25] Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Spoiler:

Now onwards to reread Heroes of Olympus before I finally actually stop and read the Trials of Apollo.

Back