• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I absolutely refuse to evolve my Wartortle!"

Years
Are there any Pokémon you kept on your team and did not evolve because you didn't like/want to use their evolved forms?

Years
I usually keep Dewott, because I don't like what it turns into. Same with Fennekin or Litten. I hate how GF have to give cool bi-pedal lines quadrupedal final evolution and vice-versa.

I also like Floette more than Florges. I think a fairy that holds a flower is better design than fairy that is a flower.

And Phantump >>>>>> Trevenant. Trevenant looks like wanna-be Cherrymon.

Years
There are a lot of Pokemon that I like more than their final evolutions but I rarely keep them from evolving in my playthroughs, I've actually only done this three times.

First one was Dusclops, even though I had the means to evolve it I never did since I like it a lot more than its evolution. I also like to use Eviolite Dusclops in "competitive" battles as well, not just in a playthrough, and I never used a Dusknoir before (probably never will).

Second was Grovyle, even though I like Sceptile I decided not to evolve my Grovyle in my last ORAS playthrough because I prefer Grovyle's design and I've also already used Sceptile in a playthrough before.

Last one was Galarian Farfetch'd, I didn't want to evolve it in my Sword playthrough because I like it a lot more than Sirfetch'd.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
Replace Wartortle with Ivysaur in the title, and you have the story of my life. :'D

I also still have my unevolved, Everstoned Braixen from my Y run. I don't like Delphox at all. And you can bet that if Fuecoquito doesn't stay cute, I'll chuck an Everstone on that boy too.

Years
Torracat.
I was eager to see what my cool kitty would evolve into in my first Alola playthrough back in Moon. Got disappointed hard.
Although I didn't stop the evolution or reloaded a save, I boxed that thing (only time I ever boxed my starter) and have yet to evolve another Torracat ever since.
The one I boxed lives on for my Living Dex, but is otherwise just ignored by me.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Never. Except shiny Pokemon that I catch because I prefer to keep them as the way I caught them. Other than that, I never refuse to evolve my Pokemon.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I usually end up evolving everything. The only Pokemon I have a tendency to use without evolving are Trade Evos since they're annoying to do.

I've never used either of them, but Snom >>>> Frosmoth, in design at least.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
Not really. For the very rare cases of me disliking the final evo design so much (like Inteleon) I rather avoid using the whole line period.

I kept a Porygon2 in one of my playthroughs, but that wasn't for aesthetic reasons (although I do like Porygon2 design more than Porygon-Z), it was because of how well that guy was doing with Eviolite.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
The main one that comes to mind is Yamper - named it 'Cheddar' so I could hardly evolve it into a different breed could I?

In a Platinum save I also kept my Munchlax and Buizel unevolved. The former because not only is he cute, I also have used Snorlax multiple times in Kanto. The latter as I dislike Floatzel. Made for an interesting time against the Elite Four too!

I also keep my pokémon unevolved for long periods of time in playthroughs to increase difficulty and enjoy their early forms. Often won't evolve one until its been through 4 gym badges with me, and won't let anyone hit their final evolution until we face the league (in Black 2 I tied it to the levels at which they learn their final move in their final form, so I beat the game with a Pignite, Deerling, and Frillish. The former was a one-hit wonder with Head Smash - as in, he could take on as I had given him max. HP EVs, then KO himself with the recoil - and the latter could've beaten Iris solo with Will-o-Wisp, Hex, Recover, and Scald had I not wanted to balance my team's levels.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
No. Always evolves them. Foresees it being too much of a hassle to continuously cancel its evolution. Will inevitably space out and forget eventually. Hates wasting its held item on an Everstone.

Years
strangely (or i suppose, not strangely) enough, i always evolve my pokemon when and if possible =P never really occurred to me much to keep the pre-evolutions around for one reason or another.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Charjabug, because I can't bring myself to evolve my favorite Pokémon into something that probably doesn't even make it to my Top 100.

It does help that for a cocoon, Charjabug actually has a decent movepool and stats. Plus it can hold an Eviolite.

I once thought about leaving my Sneasel in my B2W2 playthrough as a Sneasel for similar reasons, but Weavile had an actually good movepool. That said, I never evolved it anyway because it only evolves at night, and I didn't want to wait for that.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I never evolve Yamper! I love it too much exactly how it is. Boltund is cute too but I just adore Yamper. I also rarely evolve Pikachu, even though it can be frail I just think it's cute and probably have years of attachment thanks to the anime lol. Lastly, in my current SWSH playthrough I'm not evolving my Galarian Ponyta - I like Galarian Rapidash a lot too but Galarian Ponyta is easily in my top 5 favorite Pokemon so it'll be fun to keep it in its cutesy form the whole game. Come to think of it, I might just play through with an entire first stage team for fun. I've always preferred cutesy Pokemon.

Back