• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: The Follow Me Script

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
So how far are we from getting this into what it needs to be for a Yellow remake? Gogo said he hasn't figured out ledges and warps. How big of a problem will that be?

Wait, I didn't say all that lol
I said I won't be needing/using ledges/warps/surf/bike for PR or PB.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Last I asked about it, Touched and daniilS were working on ledges. I'm not sure if they finished that. They also didn't have a solution for warps iirc. Though I understand warps not really needing to be done. You should handle the warps case by yourself in either a separate routine or script, rather than try to make the follow me handle it.

For the surfing and Biking, I would also modify those routines to have some form of check for the follow me being active and disable them if it is. You shouldn't be able to bike/surf if someone is following you anyways. These are rather minor changes in general.

So yeah, after ledges are fixed, I think it's pretty much complete :o

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 10, 2024
just an idea for ledges...

as I understand it, the thing that is holding up progress is if the player stops after a ledge the follower wont know what to do. so the current idea is to have the follower wait until the player has taken 1 step then the follower makes the jump... why not let the follower make the jump 1 step behind (as normal) and if the player stops, just let the follower land on the ledge tile. then step off whenever the player moves. movement permission allow you to step off a ledge if you happen to land one one (which can be made to happen) so its not really breaking any rules.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
It occurred to me some newbs might like having some basic help (are people still making comments like 'can we do longer followme?'), and I'd really love to see more follow-me hacks or yellow remakes or something, so...

A lazy man's longer followme, a sucktastic version (no warp asm used, so, easy-ish for newbies):

Spam showsprite, movesprite and hidesprite everywhere; hide the sprite before you enter a new area via mapconnection or it will bug up (can spawn multiple followers if you have a spawnpoint on next map), if by warp it's fine. Put a spawnpoint next to flyspots and you will not have to worry about the FLY HM whatsoever. Spawnpoints mean if your follower gets lost for whatever-reason (say ledges), you can just go back to the 'showsprite movesprite' spawnpoint and it won't be the end of the world.

Use a surf script and hidesprite beforehand; - no, this doesn't solve the surf HM problem if you use the surf hm, but if you're doing a special yellow remake/homage with, say, surfing pikachu (oh all the memories... -happy sigh-), or are using a ship/raft item or something instead of the HM, that doesn't matter too much.

This method is a total pain in the butt, but, if you feel like you really want to play with followme it will let you. Less work if you arbitrarily decide not to have the follower in most buildings and towns or something like that, or if it's a short hack.

I apologize for my less than fantastic scripting skills, and this method probably isn't very helpful(?) but, here's an example of the hidesprite/showsprite spam, you can even use if you credit:

Long Lost Soldier's Following Script
Spoiler:

I hope I put the correct version, I got it working before but that might be an older one.

Surf script, use something like:
setanimation 0x0 0x8004
doanimation 0x9,
NOT special 161 unless you use applymovement on the player, because special 161 just makes you surf in the spot right where you are, whereas do-animation will make you move forward one from the direction you are facing, so you can put it in a place where if you walk on to it you will always face water like a corner, or do some kind of water tile check.

I hope that's helpful.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I made an easy hack to make people following the player :

https://vid.me/ynwf

It works perfectly, but only on one map...

Touched and a few other people are already doing it, and it's far more advanced already. Here's an implementation of it:

All the code is on his github.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I don't know if anyone has already made this hack, but I found a way to make our first Pokemon following.

https://vid.me/C89c

The source and information and things like that would actually help this thread go somewhere rather than just show off a feature and have everyone stay at the same point they were at before they watched it. ;D

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
The source and information and things like that would actually help this thread go somewhere rather than just show off a feature and have everyone stay at the same point they were at before they watched it. ;D

This thread going somewhere? Nah, I'm still having a hard time believing it will ever happen. This thread has been around for as long as I can remember, and, while many people have made vids, we have yet to see the fun code behind those vids.

If only we were the kind of hackers that Hollywood depicts instead of rom hackers... Then we could just hack into his computer from a satellite and get the code straight off the comp. sadly, as it is, we're stuck until someone is kind enough to actually share their secrets.

GoGoJJTech

Years
This thread going somewhere? Nah, I'm still having a hard time believing it will ever happen. This thread has been around for as long as I can remember, and, while many people have made vids, we have yet to see the fun code behind those vids.

If only we were the kind of hackers that Hollywood depicts instead of rom hackers... Then we could just hack into his computer from a satellite and get the code straight off the comp. sadly, as it is, we're stuck until someone is kind enough to actually share their secrets.

The source is on Touched's github. You're kinda late lol

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

Actually ROM Hacking has progressed quite a bit while you were inactive(ish?). The engine is almost entirely documented thanks to knizz and others, and advanced ASM hacks are no longer impossible feats, like my intro I made for CrystalDust which even works across engines:

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 29, 2024
A follow me script that doesn't work with ledges or warps is useless to anyone not making a platinum demake...

Excuse me.
You were whining about the code behind those cool hacks not being released. Well you've received a link to the code of the most complete one out of them all now, so if you don't like something about it, then go and change it. I've tried doing it, although PRPB and real life took over, but it isn't that hard to finish at all.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 16, 2015
Excuse me.
You were whining about the code behind those cool hacks not being released. Well you've received a link to the code of the most complete one out of them all now, so if you don't like something about it, then go and change it. I've tried doing it, although PRPB and real life took over, but it isn't that hard to finish at all.

I wasn't whining about anything since that was my first post in this thread. I just always see GoGo acting like Follow Me has been figured out even though no one knows how to do the most important part.

GoGoJJTech

Years
I wasn't whining about anything since that was my first post in this thread. I just always see GoGo acting like Follow Me has been figured out even though no one knows how to do the most important part.

I'm sorry, but I'm trying to spread the word that it is a thing since the first post and old info doesn't show it.

Even if it isn't all figured out, it can be built on its current stage. Isn't that what a research thread should be about in the first place? It shouldn't be about asking people "o mak dis for me hak plz thanks k bye"

Even if the "important" pieces are missing, the point is to be a help to that instead of actually saying stuff that will not help development in the slightest. That's whining.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
Not really, we are stuck at a grindy part that no one can be bothered to do

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
No news or updates on this?

Not really, we are stuck at a grindy part that no one can be bothered to do

Yes. The part where every single tile that changes how you move has to be changed. Think warps (going into houses, coming out, going up stairs, going down them), ledges, ice tiles, teleport pads, holes in the floor, surfing, flying... The list goes on and on. I solved most of the major problems, but there's no way that anyone is going to do ALL of that. The hack is usable in its current state (just ask GoGo), and as far as I am concerned, is a solved problem.
It's disappointing how no one else contributes or ports (besides that one time where it was stolen) what work I have already done, despite it being open source - I have NO FORKS thus far. I might become more enthusiastic if there were some input and more importantly, contribution, other than the odd request for updates here and there.

Back