• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

shoulders back! chin up! chest out!

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    what do you do to build confidence in yourself, whether temporarily or more long-term? do you have tips for others?

pkmin3033

Seriously, that's what I usually do, and the best advice I could offer. Just...don't think about it. I've found with a lot of things that once you get going, it's easy to keep going. If you have a task you need to do and lack the confidence in yourself to be able to do it, it's easiest to just not think about it and go on autopilot. The best example I can think of with this is exams...it's awful when you think about it, but once you actually sit down to do it, it just comes naturally. Usually. Maybe I was just lucky. Yeah. Don't listen to me.

But I generally find that if I lack the confidence in my ability to do something short-term, relaxing my iron grip and letting myself just get on with it works for most things. It's like I don't even exist consciously sometimes; like I'm an observer watching things from a first-person perspective.

For advice on long-term confidence, you'd have to ask someone who is actually worth something and has long-term prospects.

Years
  • If you're not feeling confident about doing something, I find just counting to three and forcing yourself to do it is a good way to build up your confidence of trying new things and stuff.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Your life is a story and you are the star. don't forget about it.

Seriously tho, I think learning to accept who you are, your strengths and difficulties if a good first step. Even if you don't believe in you, fake it till you make it.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i'm currently trying to gain more confidence in myself, and its difficult as i am stuck in a body that i am uncomfortable with and have dysphoria with but..anyways thats a different story

i guess i basically just watch youtube videos on positivity and wholesome things. i try to look at stuff that makes me happy and will help gain my confidence, whether it is temporary or not. im trying to gain full confidence in myself..but its difficult. i don't feel i am qualified to give advice, as different methods work for different people.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Confidence stems from knowledge and experience. To build confidence, you must acknowledge the problems that keep you from building it. Think about what is causing these problems and solve them.

In certain cases, like social ones, it's truly is a matter of Just Do It. You don't have the confidence to speak to the person you're interested in precisely because you are not experienced in striking up random conversation. Do it, and in time, you'll learn what it is you're afraid of and how to overcome it.

For example, I was (and still am) always worried about ending a conversation. I hate it when they drag out too long, but I used to always feel ending one was awkward and abrupt. So I would end up avoiding that awkwardness and conversations would last forever... Now, knowing I want to avoid that and ultimately improve my conversing experience, I look for clues that signal a conversation could end soon. If the conversation is devolving into short one-word answers, that's usually a good place to let a small lull pass and end the conversation. I'll often break eye contact when I'm about done with a conversation in hopes that the lull will happen and I can end the conversation. More often than not, I've found the other person is just as happy as I am to have the conversation end and there's no awkwardness about it what-so-ever.

It seems a bit in-depth for something as trivial as conversation but it makes a world of a difference for someone with social anxiety.

Last edited:

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I could write a huge paragraph but to keep it simple

Be positive! Stay optimistic!

Thinking positive thoughts go a long way, for example telling yourself something like "I look amazing" or "I will nail this interview!". + doing at least one thing productive along with staying positive goes a long way as well :)

Years
  • I often turn to listening to music if I need to get something done. I dunno how, but it does help me a lot.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I tell myself "You're the best person in the world and everyone sucks" and I feel good for like 2 seconds and then realize it's probably not true

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • I generally do one of three things.

1. Remind myself that life is bullshit, and there's no reason to worry myself so much about something so trivial in the grand scheme of things. We're all specs of dust to the universe.
    shoulders back! chin up! chest out!

2.Dress up! Chin up! Shoulders back! Chest out! The title says it all, I'm the master of my little chunk of the world, I got this.

3. I find it really helps to channel my favorite TV characters.

Last edited:

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • I just make sure that I'm running at the task with full force and effort. It's like a baseball metaphor that I heard. If you swing with all of your might, then you can't be disappointed with the result.

Years
  • My own lack of confidence mostly comes from fear of what could happen so I have to make myself not worry about the consequences and focus on just trying, telling myself that failure is okay and giving it a good try is important regardless of the outcome.

Generally I feel it helps to take care of myself: eating well, good hygiene, etc. etc. Helps that I don't have to worry about those things on top of trying not to worry about something else.

Back