• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Laptop or Desktop?

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
  • Do you use a laptop or desktop and why? Which would you rather be using? or heck, do you just only use a phone and/or prefer just a phone?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Laptop/Desktop over a phone or even a tablet.

I guess for me I think it's because I grew up using a laptop and/or desktop and having a physical keyboard and mouse that I hate using anything on a screen or the touchpad. I also hate doing anything on my phone if I don't have to because of the small screen.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I use to be a laptop person, but they kept on breaking on me and I can't fix them. When covid started I build a desktop with my roomate and the difference in the experience is night and day. I have much more control of the computer and it doesn't just break on me from wear and tear.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i love my macbook. i really value being able to just carry it around to different parts of the apartment with me or travel with me. and you know back in the pre-covid days, taking it with me to a cafe just to chill and get out of the apartment. lol i've gotten a stand for it recently and i've been using it as a desk for a while and it's really nice this way, too. i guess i just value versatility. i haven't had a desktop since i was. in high school. and even THEN like early high school bc i got my first laptop when i turned 16 so lmfao. but desktops definitely have their uses and advantages.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Each is useful for different scenarios. I use my phone a lot because it's made to be easily portable while still having access to all of my files through google drive... or remote pc, if there's something I absolutely have to do through my computer while I'm out. I use my laptop mostly for relaxing in bed, or when I'm in the kitchen doing something that I want to keep tabs on without having to go back to my desktop every few minutes. Desktop is for the other 80% of the time, and to be honest it would probably be used more if my chair wasn't so uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
    Years
  • Each is useful for different scenarios.

i quite agree with that, and judging by what you use you can typically find how peoples lives go, either on the go all the time, no room for a desk, or just can be home and use the powerhouse which is a desktop. And theres some who just like using a laptop even though they have the time and space to use a desktop.

Diarkia124

The Jack Master
    Years
  • Laptop is the preferable thing for me at the moment. I don't have much space in my room. I do plan on getting a desktop when I get my own place a few years down the line

Years
  • i literally cannot survive with just a phone. i need a mouse and keyboard to be able to internet efficiently. i also don't travel a lot, and would rather have lower temps and a bigger screen over portability, so desktop is clearly the way to go for someone like me.

i have a gaming laptop from college though, but i need to charge it if i wanna unleash its full potential, and thus it just turns into a desktop anyway. so like, what's the point? lol

Years
  • I use a desktop and laptop interchangeably for personal use. I mostly use my desktop when i'm home but I do use my laptop for video editing since it has a larger capacity SSD.

I also use my laptop for gaming whenever i'm not at home. :femme2:

Years
  • i've been using a laptop for about a decade+... it's what has served me well since space issues have prevented me from getting a desktop.

that said, i really miss the desktop life. i don't think i go place to place much to really warrant much laptop use aside from going to campus and back.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Now that I have a desktop of my own I just can't go back to laptops lol, my 27 inch curved screen is glorious and my keyboard luxurious and anything else makes me cringe to type on a bit hahah! I also don't understand how some people can happily use their touchpad and have no mouse, that'd drive me insane. :')

I have no need to port my computer anywhere so that wasn't much of a factor either. And browsing the web on mobile is the worst so I need my PC for anything remotely productive!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I kinda miss my old desktop from 2005-2015, but I've since bought a laptop to do certain things I can't achieve on a phone. My HP laptop isn't anything special. I doubt it can play games on Steam. I do like being able to carry my laptop to other rooms.

I like browsing PC on mobile. I'm on my phone far more than my laptop.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I used to use my MSI laptop as a desktop and it'd have a display attached to it for a nice sized workspace. However, after 5 years it was showing wear and tear from a lot of transportation to college and whatnot. When the covid lockdown was well underway, I got some computer parts from my manager and bought a couple others and made myself a nice little desktop for about $1500 with a new keyboard, which right at the same time my old one basically kicked the can and I wasn't about to try and file a warranty claim. It does all my heavy lifting now, although in trying to do more programming, I repurposed my old laptop and did a factory reset on it and I've been setting it up with the various tools I like to use so that I can work on the go and just sync my files through OneDrive. The only downside is that my battery life really sucks since it's a gaming laptop and they're not designed to run on batteries too well, so I have to either keep it in a low power mode or be near a power outlet, but otherwise everything works quite nicely. I can hotspot from my phone if I need to download the latest changes and I'm good to go. And when I get home, I can go to my computer and download the changes from OneDrive and just keep working. Or game. Whichever I choose.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I'm using a laptop at home. I do, however, plan to get a desktop somewhere in the future. As nice as a laptop is for portability, when it comes to getting stuff done I prefer something with a bigger screen/better multi monitor setup.

Back