• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon you used to like, but no longer do

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
Years
  • Simple question: Which Pokémon did you use to like, but no longer do? And why - was it personal history, experience using them in-game, etc.?

I was thinking of it this morning and I realized that most Sinnoh Pokémon (outside of the Piplup line, Rotom, Weavile, Gallade and Riolu/Lucario) got ruined for me because I used to hang out with people who were... rather zealous Sinnoh stans, whom I obviously left behind. The Minccino, Zorua, Treecko and Impidimp lines got ruined for me as well, for reasons I'd rather not go into (but strong enough for me to enter a funk when the Hisuian Zorua line was revealed).

Dewpider and especially Araquanid I never really liked, but when I started encountering them in Sw/Sh, I started outright despising them. And in a stranger case, Chandelure used to be my favourite Pokémon at one point, but nowadays I much prefer its pre-evolutions Litwick and Lampent, and wish Chandelure looked more like them.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Not sure if it counts since I still like it outside the games, but I've disliked using Vaporeon ever since XY. Its model is so awkward!

Last edited:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I used to like Lucario and Gallade when I was 13. Basically at that age anything cool was liked by me. However, I guess I had a moment when I was 18 and just did not like Lucario anymore and nowadays my reasons are more justified as my least favourite Pokémon.

As for Gallade, it's an awkward and predictable design and I just have no love for it. They could have made it like Ralts with covering the eyes and I felt it would have worked better.

Not hate but there are definitely Pokémon I used to love but now I find them okay or I'm like okay I just like them. Houndoom used to be my favourite but I sadly grew out of it. While I still like it, I prefer Skarmory as my favourite Johto Pokémon tho.

Mightyena was another favourite (second favourite even) but nowadays, probably not in my top 50 favourites.

And then there's Blastoise, which went from favourite Kanto starter to eh it's okay. Venusaur is better imo.

There's probably more and I could def think of Pokémon I used to hate but now I love.

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
    Years
  • charmander and eevee

I don't "hate" charmander, but its honestly just a pokemon that seems generic and over used to me now, and its sad because it was a very good pokemon , but overexposure killed it

eevee is around the same reason, over exposure, but not from nintendo, no no no, more of a personal reason for me, I just couldn't escape it, and someone just kept shoving it in my face, lets leave it at that.

Years
  • Charmander and Charizard. Kid me thought they were cool, but I no longer care much for that line at all. :x Charmander is okay but definitely nowhere near as cute as I used to think it was lol.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My favorite pokemon was Wobbuffet until I realized what a Wobbuffet does in battle.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Don't really think I've ever went from liking a Pokemon to disliking it, but Marill used to be one of my favorite Pokemon. These days, it's not even in my top 100.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I had pretty good first impressions on a lot of gen 8 mons, but competitive battling ruined some of them for me. I got annoyed battling Hatterene and Eiscue especially, even though I remember liking them initially.

Years
  • I think I liked Shuckle at one point, but grew to dislike it when I saw its stat spread and realized I didn't actually know how to use it in battle lol.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • not that I don't like it at all anymore, but I came to prefer both pre-evos over charizard itself. it still gets a plus for being a bridge to two really cool megas though!

Years
  • aggron

i remember back in... gen 3? i used to think aggron was SUPER cool. in hindsight, it was probably the design, but i never found myself using one as part of my team and i think over time i've just... stopped caring for it. every time i've considered using one, i think "damn, it sure has a lot of weaknesses, how am i going to make this work?", think too hard, and move on to other options. such a shame too, my childhood self would like to experience using aggron at least one as part of a team one day.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 9, 2023
    I used to like the Popplio line. I didn't like it as much as Litten, but I liked it.

Nowadays, I consider the designs to be pretty awkward and I really couldn't care less about them anymore. I don't hate them, but I consider their designs to be pretty weak in hindsight.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Newest fallen from grace, and very quickly so: Eiscue.

Another Mon that I stanned just because one of my now-former friends did. Now, whenever I see it, I think of any of these things, in no particular order:
    A) How the aforementioned former friend turned out to be in hindsight, which in itself is bad enough;
    B) How Mimikyu's ability was nerfed in Sw/Sh only to have this Pokémon have the same ability, but with an additional advantage,
    C) How one of my lowest-quality drawings of this Mon got around 500 likes on Twitter when I had much better drawings with no notes - which in turn was one of the reasons I quit posting my art online,
    D) How infuriating my last battle against Melony, whom I already hate, was because of this Mon,
    E) How much I would like to punt this Mon back to Poké-Antartica if I had the chance because of all the previous things.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I guess the only Pokémon that fits this description for now is Darkrai. I used to love Darkrai back in the day because of Dark Void and Bad Dreams, but ever since they nerfed Dark Void to 50% accuracy, it ruins the whole point of Darkrai now. Darkrai's whole gimmick is pretty much unusable, which makes it uninteresting now. It's sad because Darkrai was a truly terrifying Pokémon, in terms of battle and its lore. Now he's just a joke, a shell of his former self!

pkmin3033

Furret. My HeartGold Furret solo run was...not fun. It's miserably weak and pathetic even at higher levels, excessively so. It's the only early route Normal type thus far (I haven't used Yungoos or Skwovet yet) that I can say was a genuine displeasure to use and its really soured me on it as a Pokemon.

Gardevoir is another one. I didn't mind it in Gen III...then I got exposed to the internet. I don't think I really need to elaborate here. Fandom ruined it.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Furret. My HeartGold Furret solo run was...not fun. It's miserably weak and pathetic even at higher levels, excessively so. It's the only early route Normal type thus far (I haven't used Yungoos or Skwovet yet) that I can say was a genuine displeasure to use and its really soured me on it as a Pokemon.

Gardevoir is another one. I didn't mind it in Gen III...then I got exposed to the internet. I don't think I really need to elaborate here. Fandom ruined it.

You're not even a fan of the Furret walk meme?
    Furret's Frolic mini-game in Pokémon Stadium 2?

I don't even to think about what the Gardevoir part is implying, so I'll leave that topic alone.

pkmin3033

You're not even a fan of the Furret walk meme?
    Furret's Frolic mini-game in Pokémon Stadium 2?

I don't even to think about what the Gardevoir part is implying, so I'll leave that topic alone.
    The former was amusing for about five minutes, and I've never liked minigames in anything so that's a pass on that - Stadium 2 wasn't a part of my childhood so I don't have nostalgia glasses where it's concerned.

idk, I like cute things, but I think they should at least be useable. It kinda takes the fun out of it when your Level 50 Furret barely puts a dent in a Steelix 20 levels lower than it with Dig and dies to two Iron Tails.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Aggron. I used Aggron in gen 3 and haven't thought much about it since. It looked super cool, but it's plagued by common weaknesses, low HP/special defense, and useless speed.

Xatu, Swellow, and Zangoose. Cool when introduced, but their derpy 3D models make me like them less.

Back