• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: PC Fastfood Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirfetch’d

My mother thinks community college is for failures, which I don't believe at all and I think it is a good stepping stone in your career/life.

Community colleges are amazing and she is completely wrong. They can help you prepare for bigger colleges and you can learn so many valuable things. Such a great first step into the real world, imo.

Years
  • Yeah the lower tuition cost is excellent. While I do have a partial scholarship, that will run out soon and not having to pay 100k+ to attend the rest of the time is going to be a huge advantage in the end.
    At least you have a scholarship, which was something I was never granted because I didn't quite do well enough :( (I did horrible my freshman year)

My mother thinks community college is for failures, which I don't believe at all and I think it is a good stepping stone in your career/life.
    I used to think that as well, but that was well before I knew people who attended college. It was then that I decided community college would do for me just as fine as a 4-year university with less money to spend on tuition.

Years
  • Community colleges are amazing and she is completely wrong. They can help you prepare for bigger colleges and you can learn so many valuable things. Such a great first step into the real world, imo.

Yup, I'm completely aware of that. She just thinks it's a waste of time and it's "proof" that I wasn't trying hard enough in high school. Once I looked more about community college I stopped seeking advice from her in regards to education. After all, she's just one of those Asian mothers who expects great things from their childs.

Years
  • I was never really keen in taking educational advice from my parents since they never made it into college, but they have always urged me to go farther than them so I didn't wind up like them.

Sirfetch’d

My parents actually encouraged and supported my decision to go to one. They were really excited about it!

Years
  • I'm actually fairly lucky compared to most other Asian families, who expect their children to be high-earning doctors. Many of my high school friends have been forced to pursue a medical degree by their parents. though some don't mind, others really don't like their fate, understandably.

Years
  • I was never really keen in taking educational advice from my parents since they never made it into college, but they have always urged me to go farther than them so I didn't wind up like them.

It's good advice imo. You've (and they've) just achieved what in my mind is the American Dream.

Years
  • I was allowed to pursue the career I wanted to, so it means that I'm definitely breaking away from my family :p My parents both work in telecommunications (they got their jobs back in the 1980s, so keep that in mind), while I want to work in computer science and or IT.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Both of my parents haven't gone to college (well, my dad only went for one semester but that doesn't really count lmao), but my sister and I both went (and have graduated) from college so we've gone way past the high school mark. Both of our parents are proud of both of us and we hope my little sister would follow the same path in the future.

I'm probably the one that has gone to college the most time, since my sister only went for two years to obtain her pharmacy tech degree.

Years
  • My brother is also looking to going into school just so he could get out of the retail/customer service job industry and work in something he's interested in, but I keep forgetting what it is >_<

I really just can't believe at how many jobs these days require beyond a high school diploma.. it's like either colleges/universities raising tuition costs that are making us dumber or employers requiring more than a high school diploma making us dumber if y'all ask me >_>

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I've been given the choice to choose my course of study. Not like the stereotypical Asian families out there? x) Haha. So yeah, I chose Psychology. Or rather, Psychology chose me. I went for an Open Day, sat in a Psychology seminar and BOOM, made my decision right there and then. Never looked back since.

Years
  • I chose to go into computer science when it essentially dawned on me that I had a developed a deep love interest for computers and technology in general. Like you Amanda, I don't think I'm not gonna look back at a different path either (for now), unless something came up that I disliked about computer science, such as how difficult the mathematics portion of the major could be.

Years
  • I would love to do graphic design! But the problem is that I lack skill for art in any way :< and I can never think of original ideas ever, even if I open up Photoshop and just try to do something, I don't like the output and wind up giving up :[

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • @xxkaylabby Early childhood education? Interesting! I love children and I think it's a great path. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find out exactly what your life's focus will be really soon. Just keep up with whatever you're doing and Never Give Up!

Years
  • Early childhood education does seem like a fun career! I have a friend who was going to be going into digital and web design, but last year they changed their mind from that into elementary education, and I always wish people more than the best of luck with that career.. not to be rude or sarcastic, but it's probably one of the most interactive careers with others out there if you ask me, even though the age range is so different in comparison to your own :P

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I chose to go into computer science when it essentially dawned on me that I had a developed a deep love interest for computers and technology in general.

I'm planning to study Computer Science as well. Still at the stage of planning out my personal statement - The introduction paragraph anyway. I've looked at the internet for personal statements as a source of inspiration but most of the ones I've looked at seemed too cliche with them typically opening up as "I've always been interested in computers since x young age..." and I' stuck trying to think up something original :c

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Early childhood education does seem like a fun career!
    Why did my eyes read Evil childhood education first?

I'm one to often ponder my decisions in life, and wonder if I could have done better by choosing something else. Such as a different degree to pursue at college. Maybe I would have done well and had a really good time with programming or web design! Instead of molecules. But then again, molecules are fun. So :]

I want to become a teacher later in life. I think it makes more sense for older people to be teachers, after they have worked for some time within their subject/s. Young people (~20-30) who haven't been out in life and worked becoming teachers, well it's obviously how things are done but I'm wondering if it's really that great. I'm aiming at starting my teaching career at the age of ~50 something ^^ we'll see how that goes but xD It's just an idea of mine.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Evil childhood, seems legit.
    I want to study Computer Programming or Game Design but most of my family would want me to be a doctor.

Years
  • If I ever wanted to be a teacher in my life, it would probably be at the college level of being either just a small lecturer or a full-fledged professor. After the difficult times for me in elementary/middle school, and all the immaturity I observed in high school, I don't want to be dealing with children and teenagers since I can get a little too upset with people if I do get upset, and I don't want them to piss me off :P

At least in college, people are grown up (hopefully?), act mature like all adults should, and don't care about one person or the other to make fun of them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back