• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video game franchises you can’t stand, but everyone else likes

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • So basically, what are some video game series that you just never really saw the appeal towards even though you see it everywhere and even though most people seem to like it, you just can't get into it?

For me, it would be Danganronpa. I abominate Danganronpa and it's going to take a colossal miracle to get me to not loathe it. The plot isn't smart or witty, most of the characters are either annoying, bland, or made me angry, the art style looks weird, it's cliche, it's cringeworthy, it's tedious, and most importantly, it was boring. I felt I was being tortured playing these games. More power to you if you're a Danganronpa fan, but I never will understand the appeal and I'm going to abhor everything it stands for for a long time.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Most of the AAA games are ones I feel are extremely overrated. Most notable examples being GTA, Zelda, Horizon, GoW, etc.

Years
    • Online now
    I keep playing Final Fantasy even though I often find these games tough to enjoy. Finished a few of them now and not sure what keeps me coming back.

Some of them are okay. I liked 6, 13, and the remake of 7.

Years
  • Call of Duty and FIFA is one of the most boring things on the planet for me and I will probably never play any of them... FIFA especially, with the godawful corner cutting in the last few games in the series. Also Overwatch. nooo thanks

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I haven't played any new non-Pokémon or Football Manager games since about 2014, but I have to say Call of Duty. Shooters in general - although at one point I had great fun playing co-op on Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with my brother in between rounds of "Red Rings of Death" on the original 360, I generally find them too stressful in multiplayer and have no interest in campaign. Heck, in Halo 3 my friends new exactly where to find me because I'd always run for a vehicle as I found it more entertaining. I like my violence to be unrealistic and sci-fi- and/or cute creature-based thank you!
    Always enjoyed FIFA but FUT never appealed to me either.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Everyone likes Fire Emblem. I'm the one person on earth who doesn't care. And, I likely never will. I'm not interested, and never will be.

Also, Mario. Not interested, and never will be. I played Mario 64, an that's it. I'm never going to bother or touch any of those games. I don't get or see the hype behind this series at all, and never will.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • Off the top of my head Genshin and Danganronpa, and like others have mentioned CoD and Fifa I also don't get the appeal of at all.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I really do not enjoy the battle royale genre. I don't like PVP stuff in general but at least with some PVP stuff you have a team that has your back — basically all battle royale I've played has been me against the world and I just find it so stressful, even if I'm not always terrible at it. I'd rather be doing almost anything else so it's frustrating when a lot of franchises I enjoy keep making BR spinoff titles.

Though, really, I also don't enjoy the team vs team style games either so I think I just hate PVP in anything.

Basically I hate games like League, Fortnite, Overwatch, CoD… anything that has me going up against real people.

Years
  • I really dislike Stardew Valley. I know that I "should" like it as a lifelong Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons fan but I don't. I appreciate all the hard work that went into it. It's amazing on that level. I just don't like it.

Years
  • i wouldn't say i "can't stand" them, but i don't really have interest in farming-style games. things like stardew valley and harvest moon are examples of what i'm thinking of. i'm not exactly sure the appeal of them, but it's nice that they have their audiences. the sims also falls into this category.

i also don't really have any interest in the ace attorney games. even on this very site they have a fanbase, but i never understood what makes ace attorney so popular. the cases? the characters? both? i dunno, never tried it, but nothing about it sticks out to me in particular. i guess its visual novel-esque style might be what appeals to people?

also like, almost any fighting game, ever, unless its DBZ because childhood reasons. no tekken or mortal kombat, no guilty gear, or any of that. just never really got into it.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    Danganronpa is the biggest one. They're just awful games. The cases are full of plot holes, the characters are the definition of one note, and the ending to the third game is a slap in the face for anyone who sat through all three games like I did. Please just play Ace Attorney or Aviary Attorney instead.

Any online multiplayer game where you're playing with strangers other than Pokémon or Mario Kart. These types of games seem to have little to no moderation and I'd rather not be stuck with someone particularly nasty. Pokémon and Mario Kart are fine with me since interaction is limited. Otherwise, I'd rather do online multiplayer with someone I've actually spoken to before.

Call of Duty will never do anything for me. When I was 9 a "friend" pressured me to play Call of Duty 3 with him and I hated every second. They're just unnecessarily graphic games with nothing going for them other than their impressive visuals for the time they are released. People always rag on Pokémon for supposedly being the same game over and over, but at least they add new mechanics like double battles, new types, abilities, and the physical special split every generation. With Call of Duty all you're getting is a new campaign, better graphics, and some new maps.

Kingdom Hearts is the last one. A friend from high school is obsessed with the series, so I decided to give it a shot. I've only played a few hours of the first one, but the combat was just button mashing. Don't even get me started on the story. It's The Room or Troll 2 of video games. The story is as cliched as it gets, the voice acting is forced, and the dialogue is so corny that I audibly laugh every time a cutscene plays. At least the music is phenomenal. I'll still play every game since I hear the second one is much better, but I doubt I'll be too impressed.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Never understood why Sonic the Hedgehog is as popular as it is, most of the games I've played or watched range between average and terrible. Give me Mario any day.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Even though I like to watch and play sports in my real life, I've never really enjoyed playing the sports games. A lot of my friends were always playing Madden or Fifa and I would play with them to be a good friend but they just aren't that fun and are too boring and predictable in my opinion. Even more of the gimmicky games like the Mario or Disney sports games I used to like when I was younger, but even now they don't interest me enough to buy them. I think those and popular strategy games like League of Legends, DOTA, etc. I'm not really into either but are super popular. Maybe this is because of the competitive aspects and the different tiers you can get to.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Well, i'm not really a fan of Animal Crossing *shields self*

Your not alone here. I don't play the games/franchise either. I just don't 'get it' I guess. Well that and I don't really like farming sims. If that franchise is that of course. I don't know because I literally don't play it.

Back