• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Competitive] How into competitive battling are you?

Years
  • Do you guys participate in competitive battling, either through WiFi or online through battling sims like Showdown? If you participate, what's your favorite tier? When was your last battle (if you remember)? Or are you not into the competitive side at all?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Used to be into it a lot, during Gens 5-7. But I quit in early US/UM meta.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I tried it in I think Gen 5 or 6 but it just seemed like a lot of work. I do more in GO because I find it easier to handle and not as much to go through.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I was never into it. I don't have the patience or energy to make a Pokemon competitive battle ready. But, it's interesting learning about the competitive battling space, but I'm just not going to do it myself.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Never been into it. I don't like all the tedious work required to build a competitive team, and I don't like thinking about tiers and which Pokémon I should use or not. And playing "anything goes" just to get smashed by a team of Ubers doesn't sound fun either.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Never participated. Avoids player versus player situations in most games.

Watches a match or two occasionally, usually from the World Championships. Roots for the most unique team.

Years
    • Online now
    I played competitive through the entirety of Generation 7. I was never 'good' or anything, and I think the most success I had was with a rain team on showdown which got me to a 1650 rating. I learned about all the items, EV's, move sets, abilities, etc. So despite my averageness, I don't regret having a stint.

On occasion I still watch YouTube competitive battling.

One of first matches I tried on Pokemon Showdown put me against the number 1 ranked underused player. Not nice of pokemon showdown. They had a stall team and it ended up going nearly 100 turns.

I played in Gen 8 for a bit, and quit around the release of the DLC.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I was - eventually - a perfectly mediocre player in Gen IV on Shoddybattle. I was too young at the start, struggled with a lot of the concepts or anything I hadn't encountered in-game (such as Mold Breaker allowing you to hit a Gengar with Earthquake, or any of the items you can only get at Battle Tower / Frontier).
    But I didn't have any other options for interactivity with my Pokémon as we didn't have wi-fi, so I stuck it out quite a while. If memory serves I probably stopped just before BW came out as I didnt' want to deal with the chaos, briefly had a go at Gen V but was just bored of it by then.
    I was always quite happy to be mediocre too, I usually had two of Latias, Salamence, and Dragonite even though it was unbalanced, because I really liked them and you always get them too late in-game to have enough fun with them (2/3 getting banned hurt). Even before Garchomp was banned I wouldn't use it though as I found it ugly. I mostly did OU because I'd always had preferences for a large number of the viable pokémon in the tier, with a bit of Ubers because Rayquaza, but should probably have spent more time in UU with most of the starter pokémon.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I used to be in the competitive scene in Gen VI, back when it was just a bit easier to give Pokémon a certain EV spread through Super Training. I racked up quite a few victories in 3v3 using my favourites, and I had a lot of fun doing all the prep and such.

Then Super Training disappeared from the games in Gen VII, and I no longer had the drive to EV train my teams, so I quit. And now that online is a paid service on Switch, it's pretty much doomed any plans to get back into it again.

Years
  • not at all, anymore. stopped being into it after gen v after life got busier and mental health got progressively worse. nowadays, i simply don't have the time/motivation to get back into it beyond the very fundamentals. D:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I am extremely into competitive battling. In fact, competitive battling is practically the main or, daresay, the only reason that I even play Pokémon. In my opinion, competitive battling is the most fun aspect of Pokémon. I've been catching as much Pokémon as possible, breeding, and hatching eggs containing Pokémon with perfect IVs solely to play competitively. I play WiFi battles against friends regularly, play ranked battles whenever I can every season, and I am also regularly on Pokémon Showdown. On Pokémon Showdown, my favorite tier is "National Dex AG" because I am allowed to build whatever team I want and use it the way I please. Taking down uber level legendaries with my main playthough team feels so satisfying. Losing also doesn't feel as bad because, after the battle, I often feel that I almost won with my main playthrough team despite my opponent using a team of ubers. Regarding the official ladder tiers, I enjoy playing the "gen8UU" tier the most. I believe the more restrictive aspects of the official ladder tiers truly test your skills as a battler more because it forces you to think about each play, as you can't cheese your way to victory as you can when playing in the AG formats. I prefer gen8UU because you're able to use Pokémon that are still good, but also not too overpowered as the ones commonly found in gen8OU. Thus, in short, whenever I want to have fun and challenge people with the Pokémon I love, such as my starting playthough Pokémon with effective strategies, I use National Dex AG, but whenever I really want a challenge and learn to get better at building team, making moves, and predicting my opponent, I try to play as much gen8UU as possible.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I joined PC in order to learn more about and improve in competitive battling! I didn't even know this place did ROM Hacks lol. Nah, I was here because I wanted to know everything about the current metagame (BW). Made great friends, had fun, and.. well..

Now I don't play at all. Quit after BW2 and the wicked power creep happening in the metagame. I mainly played OU so all the teams you faced quickly became one of like five. And the tactics and strategizing just weren't fun anymore. Tried new tiers, lost interest fast. And then before I knew it competitive battling had evolved so much that I could barely recognize the movesets anymore. :(
    Spoiler:

Got to rate a lot of teams here though -- and I had a lot of fun helping people with that. :) If we could magically go back to BW, or if I could magically just *know* the current meta, I would love to get back into battling. But as it is, I just don't think it's accessible for ol' farts like me anymore.

Back