• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Competitive] What's your favorite tier?

Years
  • Hard to say really. Probably OU, since it's the one I play the most and have the most experience with. I really should try out some of the tiers again at some point.

Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    I love both AG and OU since in AG you can try out almost all the stuff you couldn't do in OU, like Baton Pass Inteleon team and etc. I love OU since it is the main metagame and I love that a lot of my favorite Pokémon are in OU.

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • When I used to play Showdown, I think some 5 years ago, I used to love RU and monotype!

I once reached #5 in ladder using a Choice Specs Amoonguss set lmao

I eventually drifted away from competitive Pokémon because imo some new things are just too strong. I mean, Toxapex is borderline immortal. Then again, been a long time since I played competitive.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    So, I'm a dumb dumb and can't really do teambuilding very well :c

But I can do reasonably well in Monotype using the Sample Teams, and I kinda wanna try some of the lower tiers like RU and below. Also doubles, seems fun but it might be a bit over my head at the moment.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • PU is my favorite tier. It's where I just feel like winning isn't too important as long as I fight with a team I had fun creating.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    Gen 1 OU with wrap banned. I really don't like playing with wrap, I know it isn't broken but I just don't find it fun competitively.

mertis

the mert that was
    Years
    • him/he/them/they
    • canada
    • Seen Jul 18, 2021
    Uu easily, many good pokemon are in there and most uu mons have something that makes them worth on a team.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I actually like Balanced Hackmons the best?? Odd choice, but I love experimenting around in that tier. Since my style of battling is more oriented towards (often unviable) experimentation than actually winning, this tier is perfect for me. Of course, nothing is completely foolproof, and there's a counter for everything, which is the downside of Hackmons. One of my favorite sets I've made is
    Spoiler:

Sadly, I lost all of my Showdown teams for an unknown reason, and haven't been inspired to play anymore or try to recreate any of my teams from what I can remember of them.

Years
  • i don't play comp myself, but UU and PU seem to be the most fun to watch. so many interesting teams and Pokemon i'd never think to know how to use!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sadly, I lost all of my Showdown teams for an unknown reason, and haven't been inspired to play anymore or try to recreate any of my teams from what I can remember of them.
    Clearing your computer's cache and/or deleting cookies gets rid of your Showdown teams, so it was likely that

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    In the past, (DPPT, ADV AND GSC) OU and UU were my favourites.

This gen (not that i play much competitively these days) i got to 5th on the PU ladder so id have to say that. The last several gens imo have been an unbalanced power creeping mess (megas, z-moves, dyna/gigantamax and base 1000 attacking stats or whatever 'shiny new flavour of the week' gimmick fluff game freak decides to push, are vey off putting to me wanting to play, im old school with a back to basics preference). Plus there are way too many pokemon to keep track of or care about really anymore when it comes to competitive at least. Basically my train of thought is avoid as much of that as i can in the lowest tiers available.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    Agree with DA, OU/UU were very enjoyable in the early gens. I think Gen 8 OU is alright, there are a few lingering threats that need a suspect but I do like it's not quite as power crept as the past few gens. Unfortunately with the new tiering policy though UU and RU are paradoxically much more ridiculous than last Gen.

Years
  • Monotype will always be a fan favourite of mine - running several Showdown servers dedicated to it, as well as running and being in several high-ranked groups for it, have kinda drilled it into me aha...

Otherwise, UU and NU will always hold a special place in my heart. Especially Gen 5 UU/NU. The flexibility and creativity teams saw in those tiers was amazing, especially considering how run-of-the-mill OU was.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I really rather enjoy Monotype. It's interesting to see some of the normally less viable Pokemon find a spot on a successful mono team. Outside of that, for current gen it's probably either OU or RU. STABmons and Almost Any Ability are both fun games as well that I don't give enough time to.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I used to play OU a lot but at some point just stopped because I realized that I didn't have fun. I tried UU at some point but wasn't really into it.

If I were to get back into competitive I'd probably try one of the lower tiers like NU or PU. They seem less gimmick heaving from what I've seen. Building on the hope that teambuilding isn't as strict as it is in higher tiers.

Back