• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Annoying Trainers

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    What trainer do you find it troublesome and quiet annoyed to deal with? Back then I having trouble when AI starts up using status moves or moves that constantly keep healing themselves as I'm not prepare bringing paralyze heal or awakening yet.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Trainers with the Sturdy + Self-Destruct/Explosion combination. Dislikes the Sturdy + healing item play too.

Gives another mention to Paulette on Kalos's Route 8. Could list a few trainers in X/Y as simply "difficult". Considers this one as irritating as well. Brings a level 19 Axew with Dragon Rage. Hits so hard at that level. Hates trying to deal with it. Cannot easily work around that without a Fairy type.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I don't know why, but that one sculpter with the sudowoodo and the koffing before stow-on-side in shield took me forever.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I hate those breeder trainers in the gen 5 games because unlike regular trainers you battle once, you can infinitely battle them. I guess it's cool so you can still battle people post-game, but it's annoying to avoid them. The one in Lostlorn Forest is the worst because they're positioned so that if you try to get to the back where the Hidden Grotto is, you'll probably have to battle them, and they have a Tranquill with Detect and a Liepard with Fake Out. Both are moves that drag out the battle longer than necessary.

Years
  • Sky Trainer Yvette & Sky Trainer Clara from the Sky Battles thing from X/Y. Both have an emolga.
    I got beaten several times by them simply because I usually only have 1 flying type mon on my team. I had to overlevel and return later just to beat emolga.

Cynthia. Milotic just takes forever to kill in BDSP blegh. Bulky mons with recover options are annoying as heck.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyone with a staller Milotic.

Gyarados spamming fishermen in Sinnoh are super annoying if you don't have a Pokémon with a good (and special, because of Intimidate) Electric move.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    That one guy that's in several games (iirc) that just has a whole team of Magikarp. It's such as waste of time since they give like no exp and are just punching bags (not that a lot of trainers don't end up as punching bags for the player, but this one is to a greater degree and is very boring).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Trainers with detect or protect who spam the move like it's the only thing that exists. They also will somehow land it 3 times in a row.

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    That one guy that's in several games (iirc) that just has a whole team of Magikarp. It's such as waste of time since they give like no exp and are just punching bags (not that a lot of trainers don't end up as punching bags for the player, but this one is to a greater degree and is very boring).

I too disliked fisherman who just brings magikarp up to 6, where is the challenge and they never worth of battling and this is why I avoid battling fisherman afraid they have magikarp for that matter

Years
  • - Whitney in GSC
    - Trainers with a full or almost full team of Magikarp/Caterpie/Weedle/Wurmple
    - Trainers with Protect/Detect/Sturdy
    - Trainers that have Effect Spore/other abilities that may cause a status condition on physical contact, had this happen too many times omg. Fighting Shroomish was pretty annoying in RSE cause of it too!
    - Misty in RBY is tough. I've lost to her a lot, and it can get pretty annoying. A few months ago I got stuck on her in a challenge run and never managed to get through. :x

Drayton

Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    - Whitney in GSC
    - Trainers with a full or almost full team of Magikarp/Caterpie/Weedle/Wurmple
    - Trainers with Protect/Detect/Sturdy
    - Trainers that have Effect Spore/other abilities that may cause a status condition on physical contact, had this happen too many times omg. Fighting Shroomish was pretty annoying in RSE cause of it too!
    - Misty in RBY is tough. I've lost to her a lot, and it can get pretty annoying. A few months ago I got stuck on her in a challenge run and never managed to get through. :x

Oh yes. Whitney always gives me trouble due to locked up with attract, stomping with roll out as well keep on using milk drink.. Glad HGSS shimmer it down a little. I wish to avoid battling bug catchers they're will battle if eye contact is made as they gives little EXP, but not worse as fishermans with magikarp. XD

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Any trainer that has a Pokemon with the Afftermath ability. So annoying ugh.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Any rando that doesn't have the decency to immediately die to my team.

And I'm only half joking here, like, maybe it's because I do a lot of challenges but it eventually comes to a point where doing battles in general just feel annoying rather than engaging.

Rivals, gym leaders and so on usually have a stronger team so there's a chance thing will get dicey but say Youngster Brad in Route Whatever? That's just an annoying roadblock.

Years
  • Aftermath is definitely annoying! I have been fainted before by it, and that is literally the worst since you do not get any experience. Remember Drifblim frustrating me a lot because of that as a teenager. :x

Years
    • Age 27
    • She/They
    • Seen Mar 24, 2023
    Every battle that isn't essential to the plot, I get that most of the EXP I get are from battles but I just wanna get to next part of the story

Years
  • I mean Whitney and others are hard but not annoying to me. I like battles, so I don't really consider trainers to be annoying. The only ones that come to my mind are the ones who have voltrob, graveler and similar that use self-destruct, because yeah suppose I have only one pokemon, lol rip. The other trainers I don't stand were mentioned before and are the ones who in a single battle use protect/detect. It just makes no sense, in a single battle!

Years
  • I think, any time a bog-standard trainer on a route has a Pokémon with protect or something, it's annoying.

Protect is most useful when stalling an opponent for recovery (or for chip damage from Poison/Burn etc, or for stalling Trick Room etc). Keyword, stall.
    I don't need some Bird Keeper's Pelipper using Protect in a Single Battle when I have a Manectric 20 levels above. It's just pointless.

Similarly, any time an "unimportant" opponent has Fake Out. I see a Mienshao, or especially a Liepard, and I know I have to waste my first turn.

Years
  • I do remember clearly my first battle against one bug-catcher in FR/LF in route-6. He only had single Butterfree and beated all my team (consisting only from starters and legendaries, I should have never been using cheat codes) using only status moves

Back