• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you bored of Pokémon games?

Years
  • see title

are you bored? did your disinterest influence whether you played some of the latest games, or did you play them anyway? maybe you're not necessarily bored of the games but just less engaged than you used to be? or are you still as big a fan as ever?

Years
  • I used to be a big fan. Now i'm not as interested as I once was. My Pokemon hype right now I rate a....4 or 3 out of 10. Honestly, i'm just waiting for the Crown Tundra to release and take a break from Pokemon afterwards.

Needless to say, it's still fun to play some of the older stuff on the 3DS, but it's just a time killer right now. *sigh*

pkmin3033

That is a difficult question to answer, honestly. See, I love the core gameplay of Pokemon just as much as I ever did. But am I bored of the exact same narrative, the refusal to implement proper QoL features, the abysmally bad business model and bad faith towards customers, the dreadful PR, and the general lack of care and attention to the franchise that won me over as a kid? I am very bored with it. But I keep playing the games because I love that core gameplay. It's simple - and more importantly, familiar - and in a lot of ways, it's as comforting as it is frustrating. Pokemon never changes. It probably never will change. The older it gets and the more Game Freak try to patch it up and make it seem like it has changed, the worse it looks, and whilst the critic in me is all too eager to tear them to shreds for it, the child in me doesn't care as long as they keep making the bloody things for me to buy and play and complain about.

I suppose on balance the answer would be "no" because I still buy and play the games, but when I really look at it I realise that I got bored with Pokemon with Gen V and I'm like a little kid with a stuffed animal they've had since they were a baby that has been worn down beyond all hope of recovery that I don't want to throw away because of memories. I SHOULD throw it away because I have much better toys now, and things don't last forever, and I don't really need it, but I can't, because...reasons.

The ironic thing is that I'm probably more engaged with the franchise now than I've ever been. I love the core gameplay and that hasn't changed. I also love complaining about things and Game Freak have handed me so much ammunition that I could probably conquer a couple of planets with it. They're making me happy and miserable at the same time. xD

Years
  • while i was thinking about this, i realized that i haven't really actively played swsh in a long time. granted, i sunk about 800+ hours into it, and a lot of it was shiny hunting, so i guess one could say that i've been burnt out of the games for now since i've done everything i've felt needed to be done. so in that sense, yeah, i'm pretty bored of swsh, but not pokemon gaming in general. i just recently replayed platinum and im having lots of fun with it, still! so for me, i think there's always fun to be had in playing pokemon games, past or present, as long as i take proper breaks from them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    Im bored of Nintendo Pokemon games, but im still interested in Pokemon hacks, especially those that have a new region and new story.

Years
    • Seen today
    My interest in Pokemon constantly shifts on and off. Right now it's off, but i'm spending some time messing around on showdown.

Years
  • I want to love Pokemon games, I just haven't enjoyed them as much as I used to as of late. I enjoy the story, the adventure, raising Pokemon and creating teams, but the last few games just haven't captivated me as much. I still haven't completed Let's Go Eevee, and I beat the main story of Sword, but have done very little post-game, and I haven't even considered picking up the DLC.

One of the biggest issues of the latest games to me is that they hold your hand through a lot of it. Yes, I know that Pokemon will always be a franchise aimed towards kids, but there's not as much adventure if NPCs take you to your next location, and getting automatically healed after major battles takes away one of the few points of strategy outside of battle. I'm just disappointed that we haven't seen something like B2W2's challenge mode that gives experienced players more of a challenge along the way.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Nope! Not at all. I always look forward to seeing if they add anything new, or change anything. However, lately I am bored with some of the story lines. They feel like there's either a lot missing or they're rushed or underdeveloped.

I do get a little bored of the new game from time to time, which is unusual. I enjoyed it a lot more than sun and moon, but I feel where they've added in so much for me to do, with the main story line done, I feel like it can be kind of repetitive doing the same thing over? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I tend to catch a few Pokémon for ten-fifteen minutes and then turn the game off.

Years
  • I do get a little bored of the new game from time to time, which is unusual. I enjoyed it a lot more than sun and moon, but I feel where they've added in so much for me to do, with the main story line done, I feel like it can be kind of repetitive doing the same thing over? I'm not sure how to describe it, but I tend to catch a few Pokémon for ten-fifteen minutes and then turn the game off.

it's the same for me a lot of the time lately :( I attribute that to having a shorter attention span for gaming in general nowadays though, it seems like I get tired quickly after gaming just a few hours. used to be able to play things all day!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I would say yes and no. I think the inital rush of a new game is what pulls us in but its pretty much the same thing with every game.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • If I was answering this half a decade ago, I probably would say yes...

But now, no. Not even a bit, even if it's the same thing every time. The programmers still put a lot of effort here anyway.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • there are times where i'm more interested in playing other games and i won't touch pokemon for a long time and have a sort of 'drought', but recently, i've been on a big pokemon kick. i've got a small list of things i want to do. it ranges from just regular playthroughs of games i haven't touched in a while to see how they hold up (i'm looking at you xy and frlg) to like. my 9000th playthrough of RSE but this time using the shittiest pokemon in the region. i'm a little all over the place lol but all i've really wanted to play the past few months is pokemon. i had a long drought tbh so i'm glad this smacked me out of no where. revisiting these games has been a blast and i've honestly wanted to challenge myself further and do things i usually neglect, like post game and legendary hunting.

long story short, i go through times where i don't feel like playing, but i am never completely disinterested in pokemon. it's my favorite series and total disinterest won't happen until the day i'm dead and it becomes forced lol.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I'm going to say I am bored of the Pokémon games, at least the newer ones. Recently, they don't capture the magic that older games had and even Crown Tundra hasn't wow'd me. When I was played Sword for a gym challenge, I just felt so drained and uninterested to the point I didn't even bother finishing it. Maybe Gen 9 might change this but if it doesn't then I'll most likely stop buying future games.

and then there's other games like FF14 that's keeping me occupied.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I've been bored of them since gen 5. That was the first time I just wanted to put the game down and not play anymore. Hacks are all that entertain me now.

Impuulse

sent out Politoed!
    Years
    • They/Them
    • U.S.A
    • Seen Oct 20, 2020
    Mostly, I have episodes where I play on and off every month or so. Still love the game, although. 😁

Years
  • update: i only really play swsh to shiny hunt. havent even 100% finished crown tundra yet, and that's mostly because i have my mind on other games. i try to boot up when i can and casually hunt certain legendaries here and there, but it's not a top priority like it used to be.

i'm kinda just waiting for the next pokemon game and hoping it gives me that excitement back.

Years
  • not as interested to play them as i once was because i got too used to it. the mechanics, the game play, the storyline, etc. i slightly subscribe to the criticism now that Pokemon is basically just the same game over and over with updated graphics and gimmicky features added every now and then. kinda like the assassin's creed of nintendo.

does that mean i'mma stop playing it forever? nah. just not as much is all.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The recent generations certainly drained any sort of interest for the series, that's for sure. I still like to get back to the older generations from time to time, though.

I've already done pretty much all the main foci they suggest you to do on multiple occasions: playthroughs, challenge runs, trading, battling, Pokedex completion, lore and bug hunting, etc.

At this point the only thing for me would be to come up with new stupid ways to experience the games. Ironically, with all the streamlining and more and more options provided for generation to generation; while you would think this makes a lot more things possible to try out: I actually think that all these options take away a lot of creativity.

Also, it doesn't help that I like the less story heaving Pokemon games from way back when. It's easier to come up with your own story and go through with it when you're not constantly reminded by your rival and pretty much everybody else of how great you are. It's not even that the stories being told are any interesting; they definitely do not measure up to the massive brand that Pokemon is.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • My interest in playing Pokémon is usually inconsistent, sometimes I really enjoy playing Pokémon games but sometimes I can't even be bothered to pick a starter

Back