• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music Songs that make you cry

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
Years
  • What's a song that makes you cry?

There are some songs that have made me cry, but I'll just give one example for now. This happened this morning actually. I've had a terrible week (the TL;DR is that I can't go to my winter guard championships because I got quarantined from someone in my homeroom) because that's been swirling around in my mind the whole week.
    Spoiler:

Anyway, "Colorful" by Mili came on my playlist this morning and I like the song, but I really listened to the lyrics this time. The lyrics are beautiful and they convey a beautiful story, but it was the section right before the final chorus that got the waterworks flowing.
    Even though I may not be able to erase all my mistakes
    I can paint on another page
    Because everyone around you have always lived that way
    There's so much to your life
    Everything will be alright
    Hearing "everything will be alright" really hit hard. Even though this was a tough week for me, I know it's almost over, and I can make it through, stronger than before. It always feels good to be reassured in tough times. (Oh gosh, I'm crying as I'm typing this...)

Years
  • Dan Fogelberg - Leader of the Band

whenever i sing it i try replacing the papa to mama in "and papa i don't think i've said i love you near enough..". always ends up in not being able to finish the song and blurry vision. i miss mom.

Years
  • Hail the Sun - Relax/Divide
    Very much a breakup song, and I have a lot of memories attached to it.

"If you think that it's time, then let our lives divide"

Years
  • back when i was going through Some Shit, listening to My Immortal - Evanescence was a good way to shed some tears

nowadays, i dont think sad songs cut it anymore for me. most of my playlist is too upbeat even with sad lyrics lmao :c

Years
  • Trees by Twenty One Pilots is a surefire way to cause a breakdown. Ever since watching Tyler cry during a performance of it, I'm not sure how but the song just hits in a different way now. Even more embarassing when they play it live and you just mentally collapse and turn into a blubbering mess.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • 15 year old me bawling to better in time by leona lewis...........

this isn't the song per se (it's sad too tho) but like the video...we watched this video the other night that was like "top 10 saddest music videos" and most of them i agreed with and my partner was like "wow i'm surprised they didn't even mention concrete angel" and i was like "wtf is concrete angel" and so he pulls up the video and y'all when i tell y'all i was in tears esp after i realized why they named it CONCRETE ANGEL......................jesus christ man

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    The Only Thing by Sufjan Stevens. I've listened to it enough times to not cry anymore but it brought me to tears the first time I listened to it. Though it was not fully applicable to what I was going through, it resonated with me so much at the time I found it. I still think it is one of the best written lyrics I have ever seen on a song but would say to look it up with caution, though brief there is a TW for implications of suicide and self-harm in the lyrics.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am not someone who cries to music. I find that music can play a role that transformative and healing, making me actually feel less likely to shed tears. In general I don't cry often. It might be many years in-between one tear and the next.

A song that does evoke a strong emotional reaction in me though is Host of Seraphim by Dead Can Dance, especially the way it was used in the documentary Baraka. It probably comes the closest to moving me to tears of any music I know. It's a powerful spiritual lament like much of Lisa Gerard's work, even if it's sometimes overrused in film in media as the dramatic background music to represent crisis and devestation.

It's a song that's good for me to hear when I am feeling down, because it makes me less focussed on my own troubles and reminds me of a much larger world out there than my own little one, and I am moved instead by the sufferings of others, and grateful for what I have. So many songs out there are about personal things like a lost love, but this is far bigger than that, it's like this is song crying for the whole human race, and every other worry seems so trivial to me by comparison. I think that's why it resonates with me so. It takes me out of this body, and onto a higher plain of existence.

Last edited:

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins.

It's one of those songs that still make me cry to this song. It makes me think of my grandparents. My grandfather passed away a couple of months after the song came out and then I lost my grandmother back in 2017. Now anytime I hear this song, it makes me cry because it makes me think of them. This song hold a special place in my heart.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
  • Gilbert O'Sullivan - Alone Again (original version)

I am not an emotional person, but this song... it always gets me, so much.

Years
  • You'll Be In My Heart by Phil Collins.

It's one of those songs that still make me cry to this song. It makes me think of my grandparents. My grandfather passed away a couple of months after the song came out and then I lost my grandmother back in 2017. Now anytime I hear this song, it makes me cry because it makes me think of them. This song hold a special place in my heart.

I still need to compile a list for this thread, but this song will be on it, for a similar reason. It makes me think of someone I love dearly that I can't see anymore 💔

Back