• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games everybody hates but you don't.

pkmin3033

Because opposite threads are fun, although this one might be a little bit harder to come up with answers to! Unless you're a fan of Kemco RPGs, then it'll probably be easy

I'm just about the only person I've met who enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog, though. I was a teenager once too, OK? I liked Shadow a lot when he was first released, and all things considered the game could have played significantly worse than it did...I mean, look at Sonic 06. Plus the game was so edgy it was a miracle you didn't cut yourself just looking at the title screen. It was fun!

H e a p.

Banned
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 23, 2022
    If anyone hated Balan Wonderworld here, then please raise a hand.

*audience raises hand*

Huh? you all did?

Well, that's unfortunate, then I just say the Character designs are neat.

Years
    • Seen today
    I loved Final Fantasy 13. I played it on rainy nights and had a fantastic and memorable time with it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I was actually one of these people who really didn't like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn at first. At some point I thought about it and realized that I was being a little too harsh on it.

I consider the first two games to be very high up if not at the top of my list of favorite jRPGs. As such I did have high expectations when it came out. But obviously, those could never match up with whatever the game could have delivered. Add to that that the game tries to be more approachable and "better thought out" (consider that the first two games were meant to only be one at first but due to space limitations they had to improvise which worked out better than expected) and things can only go wrong from here.

GS: DD is actually a pretty solid jRPG. It still has strong environmental puzzles, something modern jRPGs don't seem to get right anymore. The art style is pretty good, the characters are nice throwbacks and Sveta is actually my second favorite character of the franchise, exploration still feels pretty rewarding, the unleash system had an interesting overhaul, etc.

I still have some gripes with it, like the points of no return which can lock you out of some content. Conversely, I don't mind the cliffhanger ending as much. Sure, I'd like to see where the story was heading (and would love to see a sequel), but I don't necessarily need it.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I've seen quite a bit of hate for Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity before. It might not be as good as the other PMD games, but I still enjoy playing it. I don't think it deserves the level of criticism it tends to get from PMD fans.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hm. Dredges up fewer titles for this than the opposite thread. Seems unfair to name titles with low popularity due to obscurity.

- Age of Mythology. Typically regards Age of Empires 2 as the better title. Prefers Mythology for the more unique civilizations and choices mid-game. Found the mythological units satisfying as well. Loved chucking units around with Minotaurs and hopping over walls with Anubites.

Years
  • Seconding Final Fantasy XIII. I didn't think it was bad at all, but I understand the criticism about the linearity. I think linear games are perfectly fine, but if you come into the game with the same expectations you had about previous Final Fantasies, I get that you might be disappointed. I appreciate how Square Enix is willing to experiment with the series at least. The battle system is super fun, and Lightning is one of my favorite FF characters.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Oooh this is a good question

The only thing I that jumps to mind immediately is probably The Last of Us 2 - I know it's not universally hated, but a lot of people didn't like it. Personally I love it and think it's an incredible game

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I was actually one of these people who really didn't like Golden Sun: Dark Dawn at first. At some point I thought about it and realized that I was being a little too harsh on it.

I consider the first two games to be very high up if not at the top of my list of favorite jRPGs. As such I did have high expectations when it came out. But obviously, those could never match up with whatever the game could have delivered. Add to that that the game tries to be more approachable and "better thought out" (consider that the first two games were meant to only be one at first but due to space limitations they had to improvise which worked out better than expected) and things can only go wrong from here.

GS: DD is actually a pretty solid jRPG. It still has strong environmental puzzles, something modern jRPGs don't seem to get right anymore. The art style is pretty good, the characters are nice throwbacks and Sveta is actually my second favorite character of the franchise, exploration still feels pretty rewarding, the unleash system had an interesting overhaul, etc.

I still have some gripes with it, like the points of no return which can lock you out of some content. Conversely, I don't mind the cliffhanger ending as much. Sure, I'd like to see where the story was heading (and would love to see a sequel), but I don't necessarily need it.

I find myself consistently torn on how I feel about GS:DD. I did legitimately enjoy playing the game, and I like Karis + some of the secondary characters you meet along the way since they weren't just clones of the OG cast. The story/pacing felt... weird? Honestly it's been a while since I've played the game and even if I had, I'm not sure I'd be able to expand on my feelings towards the story and it's pacing. One thing I defintely did not like, and felt that it came very short of when compared to the original 2 games, was that of the dungeons/levels. They seemed shorter, significantly less complex and just less interesting than the ones I remember in the first two. Ankohl Ruins and Jupiter Lighthouse are the main ones that come to mind when I think of the difficult to navigate/solve dungeons from TLA. To be fair to GSDD though, it could have simply been the case of me being much, much younger when I played GS1+TLA, and was in Uni by the time DD came out. The combat did feel good, then some of the character designs (specifically Sveta and Himi come to mind) were amazing. It's really unfortunate you don't get Himi (literally the one mage venus adept in all 3 games) until near the very end, and don't get to level/experiment with her as much as the others. Also, some parts of the sound track in GSDD are great, too!

edit: After delving into some memories and talking about the game briefly... I kinda wanna play it again now, thanks! :d

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Coming off FFXIII as others have mentioned, I'm going to say FFXIII-2. The FFXIII trilogy seems to be generally reviled, but I enjoyed XIII-2 more than XIII in much the same way I enjoyed X-2 more than X. Serah turned into a really likeable character after getting slapped and told to grow the fuck up, and whilst I could have done without Noel and the monster party members, I could not have done without Caius Ballad. Holy shit, FFXIII is so much better when it has an actual antagonist to drive it forward. One that looks like a prettier version of Kain Highwind and is voiced by Liam O'Brien. I was sold on Caius from the moment I saw him. Whilst the narrative was an absolute train wreck, the game removed almost everything wrong with FFXIII - namely the entire fucking cast outside of a couple of cameos, and the awful "if your party leader dies it's game over" mechanic that ruined the combat in the first game - and it was...actually entertaining. It's the rose between two very prickly and poisonous thorns as far as I'm concerned!

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is another one. I'm not sure why people hate on this game, honestly - yes, the cast is not the best. Edge Maverick more than lives up to his first name, Meracle annoys the shit out of me too, and the less said about the Lymle/Faize dynamic, the better. But outside of that I thought it was a really good game - the combat is fantastic, the narrative is pretty good for Star Ocean and ties in well with the other games whilst doing fine as a standalone, Faize is a pretty good character outside of his disturbing dynamic with Lymle, and visually it's not bad either. Some of Sakuraba's better work for the soundtrack (it's not Baten Kaitos, sure, but it has its own distinct sound, which is more than can be said for a lot of his later work on the Tales series) and...come on, look at Integrity and Faithlessness and tell me The Last Hope is really that bad. I know, the quality of that game doesn't excuse where this game falls a bit flat, but I'd say this is better than Till the End of Time as well...as well as certain Tales titles. It's not *that* bad.

Years
  • Age of Mythology. Typically regards Age of Empires 2 as the better title. Prefers Mythology for the more unique civilizations and choices mid-game. Found the mythological units satisfying as well. Loved chucking units around with Minotaurs and hopping over walls with Anubites.
    I love Age of Mythology and had no idea it was hated.

I like Gothic 3. It gets a lot of shit because it's not like previous two Gothic games and is unfinished even more than the first Gothic, but I love it's atmosphere, soundtrack and exploring the world. Yeah, quests are all the same and the story is barely there, but it's fun to play.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • Final Fantasy XV
    Final Fantasy XIII trilogy
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (I need to replay it though to see if this is still the case though)
    Final Fantasy X-2
    Pokemon Sword/Shield
    Tales of Zestiria

😐

Years
  • I know that one of the least liked gens of pokemon were gen 6(x & y), atleast from other parts of the web. Though that was one of my fave generations. And like the user above me, Pokemon Sword.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I also thoroughly enjoyed Shadow the Hedgehog. Sure, it was plagued with bad controls and an edgelordian storyline, but it was mindless fun anyway. Being a Shadow fangirl helped a lot, too.

And I always loved The Wind Waker. Even back when it was getting guff for being cartoony and people didn't like the sailing, I just adored that game. It's been one of my favorite games of all time ever since!

In the same vein as Toon Link, I loved playing Spirit Tracks as well, though it seemed more largely ignored than hated on.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Pokemon Sun & Moon are good. Not amazing compared to the early generations, but way ahead of both XY and SwSh. SM is the only one of the recent cutscene-heavy generations that took advantage of that to develop actual interesting characters, and as close to an interesting story as Pokemon will probably ever get. I don't mind cutscenes, as long as they're not wasted on shit like "Leon always gets lost!". Play to your strengths.

FullMetal_Ashheart

The Heart and Soul of Fire
    Years
  • I liked Tales of Zestiria, Final Fantasy XV, and Pokemon Sword/Shield. But I also did enjoy playing Pokemon Sun/Moon because it gave us a bit of a break from the gym challenges. They get real boring after a while.

Years
  • Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Every human being who claims to be huge fan's of this franchise hate's this game's guts with a passion and keep dragging me back to Jon Tron's Video of why it sucks so hard that I need to destroy it. Even in Rare Replay, people have cited it as the only bad game in it's bunch... To which I have to ask the question, is it really?

Folks get up in arm's about it and I haven't posted it to Gamer Obscurea because of that fact itself. The game was going in a new direction, you had to build vehicles to meet the challenge's to get the Jiggies and move on... Which, I don't think it deserves as bad a press as it get's. Folks say a bad game is a bad game, it deserves to be rejected and what not yet I've seen folks online replay Jekyl and Hyde on the NES, tear their hair out over Dennis The Menace by Ocean and watch people SIT in a room, playing Desert Bus, Drive for Hope as a charity stream on the sega genesis while I've seen other's enjoy playing Too Human which is suppose to be one of the massively worse one that didn't play or feel right..

I play the game because I enjoy the environment Showdown town is in. I actually enjoyed exploring the different worlds and environment's they put into the game such as the Museum/Themepark dedicated to Banjo Kazooie where Clanker from Clankers Cavern act's as an attraction which I thought was hilarious. The robot fish gets free only to be stuck in an exhibit.

Ontop of that, I'm kind of a creative guy, I like to build things and use them. Thus Nut's and bolts is kind of a game I can get into since the challenges are, mostly, limited to what you construct to tackle them, meaning that the game's difficulty can be circumvented in most of the challenges; instead of having to default a basic cart, you can build car's, boats, planes, jets, giant robots and other vehicles to tackle these problems and change them on a whim almost if needed when it fails or you see a method to literally improve it.

Case and Point, I BUILT A PILOT-ABLE, JET PROPELLED, GIANT RED ROBOT FIST WITH A SMALLER RED FIST AT THE TIP AND COVERED THE THING IN GUNS!!!!... Or egg shooters, etc... Then I built a Giant Red Boot, Turned it into a Monster Truck... and so on, etc. I then used these things to complete the missions given and beat the game itself and had fun giving the finger to Gruntilda at the end.... I extended the middle finger on the robot fist in it's final design to flip her off when I fought her.

Yooka Laylee

Folks didn't like it due to a lack of a lot of things that made Banjo Kazooie great and a lack of Worlds where you could extend the books and what not... I didn't view the game as Banjo Kazooie, I viewed it as a team getting back to their roots and publishing a game that gives it's fanbase or a fanbase what it wants or wanted for a long time; then stumble on the way in.

I enjoy playing them because, I guess I'm a bit of an oddball. I have a topic here dedicate to obscure video games most folks don't care about or check the list for something else to play when they 're tired of Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Steam being a couple bullies to them.... Or folks looking to find something else to play they may have not heard of before like Oni. You have to be an odd ball like me if you want to appreciate the obscurity of some of this stuff.

Back