• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

★☆ The Incredibly Wandering Thread ☆★ [v5.0]

Years
  • Is there a tutorial out there about how to be a good GM? Like, how to do proper world building and making events for players and keeping people active? I'd love to see something like that because maybe just RPing isn't for me, maybe I'd be better suited as a RPer and GM also?

Dunno, just like to keep options open!

It's the last part that's tricky, even for those of us who are more experienced. That being said, Anna is right. The more people are talking about the RP and engaging OOC, the more they're going to be invested in making the IC happen. It's all about communication. If you ever want more specific help with worldbuilding and stuff, feel free to hit me up because the more story-related element are what I excel at.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I used to participate in these Werewolf games on another forum. Except, somehow people managed to blow up the RP aspect of them, anyway. So, despite all the voting characters out of the game, that didn't stop people from making very detailed characters and filling pages and pages of posts with all kinds of exploration and character interactions. It was quite entertaining.
    Unfortunately, I ended up having severe issues trying to interact with other player's characters.The amount of text that was required reading also got a little bit much. I also kinda felt compelled to write longer posts, as well. Writing long posts is hard. xD

I stopped at some point and haven't had the motivation to join in on an actual RP. Don't know if I have the stamina required to participate, anyway...

I've been listening to some DnD campaigns people posted on Youtube. It's actually really interesting stuff. Would be fun to try out, but idk... ^^"

Years
  • Writing long posts is hard. xD

The good news about RPing these days is that while we tend to write long posts, we also are a lot more willing to take our time over a week, or even weeks (depending on the RP) to get those posts done. So it's not super draining. It's definitely not the same as trying to keep up with a werewolf/mafia game in-character doing posts like that.

I've been listening to some DnD campaigns people posted on Youtube. It's actually really interesting stuff. Would be fun to try out, but idk... ^^"

A lot of us here, myself included, are mad into D&D. You're welcome to join one of my games some time if you'd like. Feel free to hit me up.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    RP here is..... Very daunting of a task for me as someone who likes simple, faster paced roleplay. Like dnd except I've never had the opportunity to actually play and be part of a campaign.

Maybe one day.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • RP here is..... Very daunting of a task for me as someone who likes simple, faster paced roleplay. Like dnd except I've never had the opportunity to actually play and be part of a campaign.

Maybe one day.
    That's definitely another thing that I've wanted to expand on- I think RP sections can and should be home to a lot of different RP styles! Integrating them is the hard part, because a) I don't know much about other ways of RPing and b) how to structure them to be applicable to using the forums at all. Back-and-forth style RPs are always welcome, of course, but I know people definitely prefer to do that on Discord these days. I'd love to talk to people about them using the OOC section to keep track of characters and documents for Discord-based RPs though, or using it as a home base for a D&D campaign. Stuff like that! I definitely think our RP areas are a bit stuck on one style, and while I love it and know it well enough to teach and guide, that's not all there is!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Aw man, I miss playing D&D. I need to bring back my time traveling dual gun wielding Drow prostitute/bounty hunter named Kiwi Tequila.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Honestly, the best way to learn GMing is to try (and fail) and try again :3

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Always be learning, right? It's important to listen to feedback and take into account many perspectives; the GM is only one person (usually) and will never be able to predict and account for every single thing! Gotta do your best but be adaptable and open to change as well. We are all working together on a project after all and it should be fun for everyone!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I saw this as I wandered by and now I'm invested in their story
    Go on...?

Haha I'm not sure what else to expand on! She was never a well fleshed out character I just insisted on being able to dual wield guns so we worked in a backstory that involved magic lol. She was also wicked chaotic and wasn't above stealing gold from her party or pawning off items for drinking and gambling money.

Imagine a character from Trigun in D&D's high fantasy setting.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    kiwi tequila has got to the best seriously fitting non-serious name ever

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • as you should be! it's a fantastic name and names in general are hard tbh. i often end up with a nearly finished character before they have names because the names have to Vibe yknow? i know some people go the opposite way but-- i have a lot of characters that are just sitting around without names still lmao

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    When it comes to names i like doing a kinda ace attorney and give names based on their personality and looks (like I did with Ranger Susan that wears a hazmat suit and has a ditto with impostor, or with Reed that has a Noivern and Exploud and likes carrying a megaphone, named after the tool that makes probably the most annoying sound in music), but I don't think I've done that with any of the main characters I've done for the rps here and followed the vibe most of the time.

When im not doing dumb puns I like going for the vibe tho. For example: when i was making hs1 jo's SU they were gonna be named Gabrielle or smth at first and Gabby for short but like when I finished the SU they didn't have that Gabby vibe at all, so I ended up giving that name to their Solosis instead.

However, most of the time i pick parts of another person/characters' names and put them on my character's, something I did with every main I've made sans the HS1 ones. Maritza White's surname i got it from BrBa's Walter White, Bruno and Debbie's surnames come from John Dillinger and Anne Cormac (thief and pirate respectively, even if their characters are the complete opposite of that) and Carmen was named after the opera

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I should be more creative with names hm.

For Together Forever, at least I named Mira and Roger so that their combined name would be Mirager :femme:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen yesterday
    The thread is in Casting now, uh? I wonder... do you ever scroll through the sign-ups of different roleplays in the OOC threads? What for? I sure did even if it was just for looking at CSS haha!

As for the names, well, there's a reason why Nameberry always pops up in my browser history... :))

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • not me still not naming casey's parents for over two years of having him as a main ahaha oops

i always be lookin at OOC threads. it's interesting to me like, how people use them for their RP because it's different, and it's become different over time. but mostly i like to see how people are setting things up initially! checking out mechanics, SU forms, general plot and ideas, yknow- seeing what seems to work or doesnt for them. i wish we had more of em to look at ofc ngl but! there will be more in time~

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The thread is in Casting now, uh? I wonder... do you ever scroll through the sign-ups of different roleplays in the OOC threads? What for? I sure did even if it was just for looking at CSS haha!

As for the names, well, there's a reason why Nameberry always pops up in my browser history... :))
    I look at OP posts in OOCs more than the SUs I think. Unless I specifically have heard about some character or see a player I know and am curious about what they will play this time.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    The one time I tried an RP here I liked looking at the different sign ups.

Some of them felt a bit intimidating because they were CSS'd up to the wazoo and had quality drawings to work as a reference but I think it's fun to see what other people are doing.

Back