• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

150+ dead after multiple Paris terrorist attacks, ISIS to blame

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • I heard of three events. The stadium (bombs), shootings, and the theater hostage crisis. It's all so chaotic...I just realized by reading a post above that it is Friday the 13th. I doubt that whoever did it did it for that reason. The stadium explosion I think was planned to fit with the highly televised event (I heard that the President of France was there too). The other two might also be connected is what the intelligence and the media are speculating. I can see how they got to such conclusion. Three attacks simultaneously after one another seems like too much of a coincidence.

Years
  • This is really sad . How can someone be so cruel to take others life so easily. I think it was planned far before we think. Same thing happens in India in 26/11 and now 13/11 , this is no coincidence. I don't know which terrorist organization did this but whoever did this cruel thing , one day they have to pay for their sins. My best wishes to all those affected. I'm absolutely disgusted by what has happened.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Puts into perspective all of life's problems and makes them seem even less important. I have a family member there now and the terror she and the rest of Paris feels is unimaginable. So, so sorry for them all.

Wow, I can't even imagine...seeing this from afar is one thing, but it happening in one's own city is something completely different. I hope she and the other survivors will be able to pull themselves back up from this nightmare.

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Let's not forget about Beirut. 2 suicide terrorists blew up in downtown Beirut last night, IS claims attacks.

Not sure if IS is behind the Paris attacks, it would make sense tho, as France is bombing IS-area atm

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    BBC recently updated to say the death count is 128 with approx 100 people critically injured. I also just watched a clip from a French reporter of people fleeing one of the buildings - dragging and carrying their injured friends with them.

What a travesty. It's something straight from a horror movie :(.

Years
  • This is horrifying stuff, my heart goes out to all those effected. I can't help but think though that the death toll could have been lower at the hostage situation.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • It's truly a grievous time for all involved. I'm growing ever fearful each time something like this breaks out, and France's calls for a 'pitiless' approach to solving this 'problem' can't help but make me feel like they're marshaling for war. ISIS has apparently stated that they won't stop as long as France is attacking them on their home turf. Blood begets blood.

Seems the doomsday clock is ticking ever closer towards a global conflict.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    so to deviate slightly from the usual shock and horror and "oh I feel so bad for the victims" and "these people are monsters"....

Supposedly ISIS is claiming responsibility for the attacks, and claims that they won't stop attacking the French (or anyone really) who is aiding the US in attacks on them.

What I'm wondering most is how they managed to pull this off. How do you sneak a pair of bombs into a sports stadium for during a major event? Do they not have tight security at those places or what? Were the French police and intelligence agency completely unaware of these (obviously planned and coordinated series of attacks)?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • What I'm wondering most is how they managed to pull this off. How do you sneak a pair of bombs into a sports stadium for during a major event? Do they not have tight security at those places or what? Were the French police and intelligence agency completely unaware of these (obviously planned and coordinated series of attacks)?

I believe that after this tragic event, France is going to upgrade their security in a similar manner to the U.S. post 9/11, to the point where the French civilians will eventually grow tired of their government monitoring their privacy day and night.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Ahhh, ISIS, one of the most despicable groups. If this doesn't make the US go on a full-out war against those assholes, nothing will until we get another president who isn't a pansy.

To those in France, I hope for the best for y'all. Such toxic ideologies are cancerous and need to be dealt with now.

Years
  • As Pinkie said, I'm sure these attacks are going to prompt France to massively upgrade their security. And let's not forget that France went through another terrible attack at the start of the year with the attacks at the Charlie Hebdo offices. Wouldn't be surprised if IS were the suspects again since they seem to have been targeting France a lot lately.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    I found an interesting quote on the BBC article:
    BBC said:
    [Pierre Janaszak] said the gunmen took 20 hostages, and he heard one of them tell their captives: "It's the fault of Hollande, it's the fault of your president, he should not have intervened in Syria".
    I'm normally not one to hate, but this is just ****ing stupid. This terrorist is invoking so many fallacies I don't know where to start.

1. The French President couldn't have predicted this when France went into Syria. If there is one thing I have learned in my life, it's that you can't predict how other people react. Doubly so for IS. IS members are not logical beings. They ****ing blow themselves up, for god's sake! No accredited psychologist would say IS is made of mentally stable humans.
    2. IS could have stopped this at any time. Did IS need to kill these people? Is this self-defense? Self-defense would be fighting the military, maybe assassinating the President if you stretch the definition. But what did that concert do to you? Did the audience bomb Syria themselves? You didn't need to pull the trigger! You could have walked away at any point! Hell, at least surrender to the police! You can't undo those already murdered, but not everyone needed to die!
    This is why we need justice for terrorists. It saddens me to say it, but we can't plausibly reach these kinds of people. I'm not saying we shouldn't give mercy to those who repent, but they need to repent. If you're a terrorist responsible for the deaths of innocents, and you truly want to repent, then prove it. Help us stop another attack. Saving a life is the only redemption at this point, and I hate that it has to come to this, but it's true. We can't let this happen again, and a new President is no guarantee.

Let's hope we can end IS without needing to sacrifice freedoms. There's plenty of other questions about how this happened that need to be answered still, and as a liberal person I'm afraid of the answers. What a cruel, cruel world this is. Paris, stay strong.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I'm normally not one to hate, but this is just ****ing stupid. This terrorist is invoking so many fallacies I don't know where to start.

1. The French President couldn't have predicted this when France went into Syria. If there is one thing I have learned in my life, it's that you can't predict how other people react. Doubly so for IS. IS members are not logical beings. They ****ing blow themselves up, for god's sake! No accredited psychologist would say IS is made of mentally stable humans.
    2. IS could have stopped this at any time. Did IS need to kill these people? Is this self-defense? Self-defense would be fighting the military, maybe assassinating the President if you stretch the definition. But what did that concert do to you? Did the audience bomb Syria themselves? You didn't need to pull the trigger! You could have walked away at any point! Hell, at least surrender to the police! You can't undo those already murdered, but not everyone needed to die!
    This is why we need justice for terrorists. It saddens me to say it, but we can't plausibly reach these kinds of people. I'm not saying we shouldn't give mercy to those who repent, but they need to repent. If you're a terrorist responsible for the deaths of innocents, and you truly want to repent, then prove it. Help us stop another attack. Saving a life is the only redemption at this point, and I hate that it has to come to this, but it's true. We can't let this happen again, and a new President is no guarantee.

Let's hope we can end IS without needing to sacrifice freedoms. There's plenty of other questions about how this happened that need to be answered still, and as a liberal person I'm afraid of the answers. What a cruel, cruel world this is. Paris, stay strong.
    Those terrorists are imprinted from birth that they're oppressed, that it's the West's fault that they're oppressed, that it's their destiny to destroy them and make way for an Islamic state (i.e. a caliphate) that envelops the world, and that they should subvert and destroy any and all people that don't convert or follow Islam. These people are brainwashed, and that brainwashing is why they say the things they do. They think Syria (and Israel in particular) belong to them, and they get real miffed when people from the west tell them otherwise.

IS in particular aren't defending themselves at all; they're trying to spread much like a cancer does. They've taken advantage of the migrant crisis to send in sleeper cells that masquerade as refugees among sympathizers, and from there they take root and stockpile weapons and resources until they're called upon to act. They sadly believe innocent people like those killed deserve to die because they don't follow Islam like they do, so they're more than happy to kill them in the name of their religion and then end up being killed themselves. They're not really people that can be reasoned with, at least not in most cases. In the meantime Europe is still filled with sleeper cells and migrants smuggling in weapons, so it's almost certain that they will attack again. It's just a matter of when and where.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2015
    Those terrorists are imprinted from birth that they're oppressed, that it's the West's fault that they're oppressed, that it's their destiny to destroy them and make way for an Islamic state (i.e. a caliphate) that envelops the world, and that they should subvert and destroy any and all people that don't convert or follow Islam. These people are brainwashed, and that brainwashing is why they say the things they do. They think Syria (and Israel in particular) belong to them, and they get real miffed when people from the west tell them otherwise.

IS in particular aren't defending themselves at all; they're trying to spread much like a cancer does. They've taken advantage of the migrant crisis to send in sleeper cells that masquerade as refugees among sympathizers, and from there they take root and stockpile weapons and resources until they're called upon to act. They sadly believe innocent people like those killed deserve to die because they don't follow Islam like they do, so they're more than happy to kill them in the name of their religion and then end up being killed themselves. They're not really people that can be reasoned with, at least not in most cases. In the meantime Europe is still filled with sleeper cells and migrants smuggling in weapons, so it's almost certain that they will attack again. It's just a matter of when and where.
    You bring up some good points. IS is taking advantage is of the migrant crisis, I can't deny that. I want to deny that with every fiber of my being. If the borders are closed, we're directly causing some human rights atrocities. And damn if I don't want that to happen. But when IS brings themselves to Europe, what choice do we have? IS is forcing our hand. In a sense, they're winning. ****, I hate IS. There's gotta be a third option, somehow. Brittan's original strategy of improving conditions overseas is looking a lot smarter in hindsight.

And I can't deny the middle east has seen better days. But killing these people isn't going to solve anyone's problems. It doesn't justify this ****. It's hard to think of how this could ever be justified. They're disgraces to their beliefs, their families, and their homes.

Maybe I'm an ignorant fool, but I'd like to think we can prevent the next attack. We don't know until we try. France is going to have more tools to combat terrorism now. Maybe it'll be different in the future.

Sorry 'bout the venting, hopefully I've been able to show why I'm angry. To clarify the "we", I'm American myself. I like to think the world is in this together.

Years
  • Those terrorists are imprinted from birth that they're oppressed, that it's the West's fault that they're oppressed, that it's their destiny to destroy them and make way for an Islamic state (i.e. a caliphate) that envelops the world, and that they should subvert and destroy any and all people that don't convert or follow Islam. These people are brainwashed, and that brainwashing is why they say the things they do. They think Syria (and Israel in particular) belong to them, and they get real miffed when people from the west tell them otherwise.

The scary thing is that most people believe that these terrorists aren't imprinted from birth, that many of them have lived in the West and were convinced to fight against it. Many of the people that sign up have been radicalized, like how many youth go through a phase - but an extremely violent and destructive one.

Reactions: Sun

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Ahhh, ISIS, one of the most despicable groups. If this doesn't make the US go on a full-out war against those assholes, nothing will until we get another president who isn't a pansy.

To those in France, I hope for the best for y'all. Such toxic ideologies are cancerous and need to be dealt with now.
    Considering that the U.S.'s last big military adventure in the region helped create ISIS in the first place, the President is right in trying to avoid the "full-out war" option this time. All that ever seems to accomplish is giving terrorist groups more credibility in the minds of extremists who already loathe the West.

Back