• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: a good ol' fashioned DCC!

Years
    There won't be an end to COVID, lifting every restriction is just irresponsible. Are you in the UK? Because I know Johnson has a scandal...

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    I'm sorry if I sound pessimist here but... before Covid was a thing and we all lived happily without masks, hugging each other, and whatever... flu was killing a bunch of people every year, each time with a different strain that required a different vaccine against it. Scientists were kind of worried about a possible H5N1 pandemic originating once again from, guess what, a virus that would jump from a different animal, in this case chickens, to humans. We also got stuff like Ebola, Zika, some other flu strains (Hong Kong flu possibly? In the 60s?)

Yet we all lived without masks, we hugged each other, we didn't even think about the possible dangers of doing so. I guess the most important reason is just that most of the diseases we'd have going around were "known" and we had good ways to deal with them, but we're not infallible on that front anyways! There probably are way more complicated sociological reasons behind the reason why, even after something like the Spanish Flu, we collectively decided "oh ok we're no longer in danger" or "we can accept having these diseases spread"... I would have no idea what those are, but I guess it just happened at some point, and the same could happen with Covid as well sooner or later.

One thing I hear people say around here is to focus just on the health system: if it can handle itself alright, then we're good to go, otherwise, that's not good. I suppose everyone can agree on the fact that having to choose, as a doctor, who you'll try to save and who you have to leave behind is the hardest decision ever and something you should never be put through - so that's surely something we'd have to avoid. Can we avoid it if we let Covid, as it is now, spread without control? Definitely not! But will it always be like that? Well, the answer seems to be "no" once again :)

We're not perfect or infallible, we just try to survive some way or another, and that's fine <3 <3 <3

Sending hugs and positivity (not to Covid obviously) to everyone who sees this, you absolutely deserve it after reading what I wrote up there...

Years
    It's because COVID is way more deadly and contagious. Hospitals weren't filled to the brim with flu patients.

No one's saying you can't hug your loved ones, but we need these precautions.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    It's because COVID is way more deadly and contagious. Hospitals weren't filled to the brim with flu patients.

No one's saying you can't hug your loved ones, but we need these precautions.

Yep, like I said... Covid has filled our hospitals very fast and is still doing it even if the new variants are becoming less deadly over time - we're definitely far from the seasonal flu's case!

It seems that the reason behind that is still the usual... this virus has just jumped from a different species to us, and our immune system has never "seen" something like this, so it's pretty unprepared! That's definitely not the case with other cold / flu virus strains, which explains the smaller number of people with serious symptoms... from what I understood~

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
    How is everyone?

Good! I'm tired, been a long day at work today, quite possibly about to go to bed very soon (it's 9pm D:) but I'm currently in the middle of the frustrating task of picking a game to buy on Steam. Day off tomorrow, thought I'd treat myself!

How about you?

Years
    Good! I'm tired, been a long day at work today, quite possibly about to go to bed very soon (it's 9pm D:) but I'm currently in the middle of the frustrating task of picking a game to buy on Steam. Day off tomorrow, thought I'd treat myself!

How about you?

Analysis paralysis huh! Sometimes the decision takes longer than the end result ;)

I'm ok ty! Just desperately trying to catch up with some stuff I've left till the last second as usual!
    😅

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
    Analysis paralysis huh! Sometimes the decision takes longer than the end result ;)

I'm ok ty! Just desperately trying to catch up with some stuff I've left till the last second as usual!
    😅

I did not buy a game :C

At the procrastination station hey? Make room for twooo cause I have paperwork I should be doing today but instead I'm about to go buy a new phone and some manga!

Years
    Update: My life situation just sucks. I've just become numb to this s***. I have two specific meetings in February so here's hoping things go better eventually.

Also, my area is supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow Saturday morning. Oh well. It'll be a snuggle in pjs and a warm blanket kind of day.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
    Update: My life situation just sucks. I've just become numb to this s***. I have two specific meetings in February so here's hoping things go better eventually.

It may not mean much but I'm sending virtual hugs your way. You've got this ❤
    Also, my area is supposed to get 3 to 5 inches of snow Saturday morning. Oh well. It'll be a snuggle in pjs and a warm blanket kind of day.

Ah those days are super nice. I had a few of them last year during my stay in England, kinda miss them now that I'm back in Australia, never really get to wrap up in a warm blanket anymore.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We're getting a storm Saturday.
    We've had like 5 this month, it's so hard ;;
    Tough ): I hope it won't be too bad.

edit: and after i wrote that i found out there was a storm swooping in on my country too. There doesn't seem to have been too much devastation at least. In my town we were fine from what I can tell; on the safer coastline.

Last edited:
    Back