• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Accuracy/Evasion

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Accuracy and evasion determine how likely you or your opponent's moves are to miss. They are what are known as in-battle stats. These stats are a little different from other stats, in that they all start out at 100% at the start of each battle, rather than being calculated by factors such as EVs, IVs, base stat values, etc.

How often do you use moves that boost/lower these stats? Do you find utilizing them to be an effective strategy in battle? What are some of your favorite such moves?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Accuracy/Evasion can surely come in handy for some battles, just frustrating when it's the opposing team racking it up. Double Team is probably my favourite evasion boosting move, it's definitely a move I'll use every now and then.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Moves like Hydro Pump, High Jump Kick are tempting to use due to their high base power. However, I prefer to play it safe; better be safe than be sorry. So I usually go for moves with high accuracy.

As for the opponents that spam the moves like Double Team or Sand Attack, it's surely annoying! Part of me wishes those moves didn't exist.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I always try to finish battle asap, don't give a chance for the opponent to use Accuracy increase or decreasing my Pokémon accuracy. But it is really annoying as when opponent randomly uses this move, it would end up everything <_<

Years
  • I'm with Jatin here, I tend to try and finish the battle as soon as I can. Letting opponents mess up your evasion or accuracy just gets so annoying, which is why I dread going up against stuff with Double Team and such.

Plus, while I do like to use those lower accuracy, higher power moves, most of the time I like to keep to more accuracy as opposed to more power. Better safe than sorry.

Years
  • They can be very useful for me, but I don't have them late game as I'd rather use damaging or more useful moves (e.g. Dragon Dance). It's fun when you see other Pokemon constantly missing all the time compared to you. It does really annoy me when I get spam Sand-Attacked. It seems like it only takes one hit for me to miss, and then they use it again and again and I keep missing.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Evasion and Accuracy are the key and beneficial in the battle, but it bugs me if opponent spams double team or kick sand on me it just so damn frustrating if opponent just spam evasion boosters or attempt to lower your hit ratio. Moves with very high base power they tend to have very little accuracy, but that's drawback for having such raw power and moves like Jump Kick/High Jump Kick are devastatingly riskier than any other high base power as they tend to recoil if misses. I'm not so fond of using higher base power, less accuracy (very small PP even just 8/10 isn't sufficient). I rather use moves with fair base power and accuracy like Ice Beam instead of Blizzard as 95 base power have reasonable amount of PP.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I agree, it's annoying as heck when an opponent spams Double Team or some other evasion boosting move, and all your attacks keep missing. This was what made Koga in the Elite Four in gen 2 such a pain, he would use Toxic and then spam Double Team or Minimize, which made the battle difficult regardless of what level my Pokemon were :c

I don't really use them very often myself, but sometimes they do come in handy in emergencies, so I don't mind having one such move in one of my Pokes' moveset.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • OMG, I really hate when some of my enemies use Double Team or Minimize! It's sooooo annoying! The opponent can easily destroy you! Evasion and accuracy can be pretty good in battle, can be the key for winning too!
    Sometimes, I really need to spam sand -attack 'cause I don't want the enemy to hit me!

Years
  • Normally, I choose accuracy over power (Such as Ice Beam over Blizzard). I hate getting frustrated after missing with an attack and then having my Pokemon faint after that.

After seeing how many people are annoyed by evasion moves I feel bad that I use my Glaceon that way ^^; Since it has Ice Body I always use Hail then Double Team. It's great but now I feel evil xP

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    ugh.

This is the bane of my Pokemon existence, especially when I have an opponent that Double Teams for every move and my Pokemon can't attack. Somehow in each game I have fallen into a battle I've almost lost because of Double Team or Sand Attack or what not. I don't use it as a strategy because I feel like I can do more damage (and faint the Pokemon sooner) if I use HP-damaging moves.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In-game, I don't mind using them at all. If any of my team members happen to know them and I'm looking into capturing a Pokémon, especially if it's legendary, I'd go out of my way to utilize the moves. In the competitive scene, though--for example, when battling with a simulator such as Pokémon Showdown--I don't wind up using them, as there are rules against their usage and whatnot.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Ingame I don't even bother with moves that have an accuracy lower than 100, because the opponents aren't nearly as strong, that I'd need to consider running anything with a lower accuracy. Raising evasion also seems pointless to me, because you could just use that turn to attack your opponent, instead.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • The problem is, I actually find it very cheap to use moves like Double Team and Minimize, since they only have a very small number of counters and can break an entire battle. Since I dislike most "guaranteed accuracy" moves, I hate feeling forced into carrying them. Fortunately I do use a Clawitzer.

Accuracy dropping moves, on the other hand, are something I've more recently been trying out and kind of like the feel of, but it's scarce when they find their way onto my finalized teams. I prefer things like Paralysis or Confusion.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I hate the accuracy altering moves with everything inside me. Not as much as Subbing, but you get the idea. Even so, I do use Flash in competitive combat to troll my opponents. Nothing says troll like Screens, Thunder wave, And Flash while your Pokemon have Prankster. Good luck attacking!

Years
  • These tactics aren't ones I tend to rely on much in most normal playthroughs, but in challenges sometimes i'll pull them out just to have a good backup on me. When I did my Platinum Wedlocke, I had my Staravia set up Double Team on Jupiter's Zubat and then her Skuntank didn't stand a chance. It's not something i'm going to drastically take advantage of every fight, but it's still a decent option, if a dirty one.

I don't like how people say that accuracy lowering moves are cheap in competitive, however - I mean, they're not used commonly, and if the person on the receiving end of them can't prepare for it themselves, I really think that's their own problem. >_> The same can be said about using inaccurate moves.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Gah I hate Double Team and Minimize especially when your opponent is a gym leader. Leader used a hyper potion, leaders Pokemon used Double Team, now the battle is even harder

Back