• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All too brief or just right?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • People had been complaining about how the length when it was announced, since 6 minutes is pretty short, but I saw someone point out that the XY Direct was 12 minutes long and about half of it was just dedicated to the history of the series (and its localization times) to hype up the simultaneous release. But... even in that video, they showed off all three starters along with a definitive "this is where we based the region" what with the Eiffel Tower right there.

But I guess they didn't have as much to show off this time because the release date is so far off in comparison. I think I would rather have had this happen on the hype date of the 20th anniversary and get little information than have waited a few months and gotten the announcement on an arbitrary date just to get more tidbits, you know?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • It really annoyed me that we didn't at least get starters. They gave us THAT much when they announced XY. I was also hoping for cover legends but I'm fine with them leaving those out, although I have very little to theorize them with really.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Now begins the 9 agonizing months of waiting, fake leaks and coro coro scans

To be honest I thought we would have at least got some sort of short trailer, but I'm glad we got to see the logos and some cool looking concept art.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Not showing anything at this point in time is kinda a double edged sword, when X&Y's debut had a little teaser footage to go with it. At the same time, when it comes to Pokemon I tend to appreciate the 'less is more' approach more. Good lord the leadup to X&Y, or even going all the way back to the fourth gen tells me anything, I like my Pokemon adventure as completely blind as possible.

Besides, I'm sure between now and E3 we will get news primarily through CoroCoro. Assuming GF worked hard on S&M since ORAS wrapped up (December 2014-January 2015) and the games set to release 'Holiday 2016 (preferably late November-ish?) that would be a good two years of development time.

poop face

currently playing crystal ♡
    Years
  • I'm glad they didn't show us much.
    It's room for more hype.

I kind of dislike the fact that game companies kind of basically throw the whole plot out there in their trailers. When I get a game, I don't want to expect things, I want to be surprised.

It's good going into a game blinded, if you ask me. It gets you excited for the game.

Years
  • Besides, I'm sure between now and E3 we will get news primarily through CoroCoro. Assuming GF worked hard on S&M since ORAS wrapped up (December 2014-January 2015) and the games set to release 'Holiday 2016 (preferably late November-ish?) that would be a good two years of development time.

I'm sure with that amount of time, hopefully we'll get a decent postgame or something.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I really wanted to see more! We had so much info off the bat when X and Y were announced, that this lack of infofro Sun and Moon was a huge letdown. The new region looked really pretty from what I saw of the concept art. But I just want to see what the starters look like.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • I think we should all remember one important detail: We were not supposed to even know Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon existed.

At this point, everyone was just clamoring for any sort of confirmation (not gameplay) on a main series Pokemon title. Consider this, most of the games that were confirmed to be released this year involving Pokemon were spin-off titles /re-releases.

Pokken Tournament
    Detective Pikachu
    Re-release of Pokemon R/B/Y
    Pokemon GO

None of them were main series games. So while we're talking about Gen 6.5 (this is obviously Gen 7), Game Freak prepared to blow everyone's minds when they said that Gen 7 was confirmed! Honestly, if it weren't for the leaks, we'd all have a different opinion on it. So yes... this is our punishment for the leaks. This seems to happen a lot with Nintendo games when they're leaked. (*cough*Smash Bros.*cough*Ryu and Roy*cough*)

I think if we take away that we knew about this game, the fact that it's confirmed is mind-blowing enough. This is slated for a Holiday 2016 Worldwide Release. That's paired with Zelda U and whatever Nintendo has up their sleeve. Can't put your eggs in one basket. We don't want a Nintendo E3 2015 debacle, now do we? :3

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • That's a good point. Before the leaks, well...leaked out, all of us was near 100% assuming Z will be the next entry. 7th Generation wasn't even on most of our minds for this year. Then yesterday happened a lot of the initial blind hype died and even though the confirmation for the next gen of games is still cool, it is kinda awrkward that at this point in time that it looks like the original Kalos adventure is being left behind.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Just out of interest. Does anyone know/remember how much time passed between the first trailer reveal of X & Y and notable new information? (like new pokemon/gameplay footage)

The official page for Sun & Moon on the Pokemon website makes it sound like there will be a lot of new information on the way. (since they want us to "keep checking" the page for more details) I don't really buy the idea some people have of us not getting trailer footage until E3.

Years
  • If people were looking for a bunch of information upon the first reveal of a game, then yeah, this was too short.

...I personally don't think it was too short, it seemed about the right length for a teaser trailer of sorts. :'D It still helped to get people talking about it, obviously. I'm not too worried about lack of info about it since I'm sure we'll get plenty of it in months to come.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • I am just happy we've got confirmation of the new games and that they are in fact gen 7 even. I am still pretty excited from the announcement even though we've known about the titles yesterday. I don't have any issues with there being little info on the games themselves besides snippets from the video because we can expect CoroCoro leaks each month from now on.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • I'm definitely thinking that in March's corocoro We'll get the starters, and maybe a look at the player.

Years
  • I am just happy we've got confirmation of the new games and that they are in fact gen 7 even. I am still pretty excited from the announcement even though we've known about the titles yesterday. I don't have any issues with there being little info on the games themselves besides snippets from the video because we can expect CoroCoro leaks each month from now on.

I'm definitely thinking that in March's corocoro We'll get the starters, and maybe a look at the player.

I think the next CoroCoro might reveal starters or version mascots, but I wouldn't mind a trailer revealing them either.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Eh... I didn't really like it. I mean, I don't want to know everything right away. That's a lot to take in. But a TINY bit more of an idea of what this game actually IS would've been nice. Like a more clearcut confirmation that this game doesn't take place in Kalos, is Generation 7, not Pokemon Z, etc. (Because I'm still kind of paranoid about these things and I'd like reassurance) I know there's some marketing snippets that say "whole new world, whole new Pokemon" or something of that nature, but that's just marketspeak and is meaningless. ORAS claimed that it was going to take place in a "whole new world" after all.

It also doesn't help that I'm immune to hype. So just showing me some logos doesn't excite me very much. I'm just like: "Huh... interesting. Okay. Well, I won't invest until you show me the money."

Killua

You know mistery is sometimes the best way and I love surprises even if i have to throm my PC off the window i am staying spoiler free

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    It would be wrong to say that only thing we got were the titles, the split second scenes of behind scenes are the most efficient speculation fuel, if we just knew a
    bit about the mascot legendaries, then the speculation would really catch on,
    too little knowledge forces us to rely on the formula of Pokémon to talk about stuff.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I would've liked to at least see the starter Pokemon for whatever the upcoming region is, as well as the 2 legendary version-mascot Pokemon like we did for Pokemon X and Y, but I guess the video was nice; at least we got concept art with that Horsea-fountain place, the "super-cool developmental screenshot, yo" picture of that presumed bird Pokemon (woodpecker? I don't know..?), some vehicles (a truck? and a portable Pokemon-Center-ish truck?), and most importantly, those names and amazing logos! {<3} It would've felt somewhat more substantial without the trademark leaks, though.. Also, Your Mileage May Vary if you choose to bundle Magearna as part of the "Generation 7/Pokemon Sun and Moon" announcement (if it/she is even getting implemented in the core series at all).

I think one Pokemon youtuber said it best, the fact that we got very little information on Sun and Moon was punishment for us knowing the games from the leaks yesterday. So I guess the real information we've been looking for may be in March's CoroCoro.

I feel like the video (most particularly, the "timeline through the years/snippets of players around the world playing Pokemon games") was likely made ahead of time, so I don't really see how the withholding of game information could be construed as punishment with a 1-2 day turnaround from "leaks" to "Nintendo Direct" presentation.. And if the area where Nintendo filed the trademark is publicly retrievable once the trademark is received/registered/applied, then the perception of "punishment" makes even less sense if the game titles are now public access via trademark application news. Maybe development hasn't progressed too far yet and/or maybe Game Freak and The Pokemon Company (-International) are just purposefully withholding information to maximize hype and/or adhere to certain release timelines..

Aren't Nintendo (or The Pokemon Company) the ones who filed the trademark though?

Nothing was "leaked", we just noticed the trademark they filed.

In which case it's their own fault.

True, although I don't see what else Nintendo/The Pokemon Company can do.. I mean, they can't exactly force the product trademark to be "hidden" for a while from the public, can they? And it doesn't make much sense for Nintendo/The Pokemon Company to announce something that they don't even have the trademark to when some "trademark website hound" or something goes immediately to snag trademarks for the game names once learning of the announcement (as unlikely as that scenario may be XD). It's weird how Pokemon X and Y apparently got through as a surprise without much hub-bub in advance of their official announcement...

Well, it might as well be nothing - concept art and artwork really isn't enough to go by; for all we know the little snippets that flashed on the screen might not even be a part of the final games. I agree that it was definitely done on purpose, but I just hoped that we'd get more than a logo and the promise of a worldwide late 2016 release, considering it was a 20th Anniversary Direct. It didn't feel particularly special or climactic, and that doesn't sit right with me personally.

...but then, staggering information over a year like they did with X and Y probably would have worked out just as well as it did for those games. The secrecy is annoying, but it is understandable to a degree...but I don't have to like it. xD

Yeah, the status of everything essentially being depicted in the "developmental phase" at the moment (save for the likely titles and the likely logos) with no full-fledged confirmation kind of sucks (then again, that could go for lots of things during the pre-release phases of Pokemon games), although the logos and mere existence of the games are adequate for me, I guess. XD But the potential of neat new legal movesets from Generation 1-game-originating Pokemon should mitigate things, at least.. And the 20th anniversary day is really reserved for Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow anyway (Sun/Moon should be icing on the cake), so I'll let those glitchy simplistic pioneers have their limelight.. {XD}

We literally got more than we did for ORAS and BW. The screenshots just flew by too fast is all. But BW and ORAS just got logos at first

This; although I don't recall how early the designs of Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre were revealed..it felt like we just got logos/title announcements at first, then that infamous second video of base-form Groudon and Kyogre just "exerting" themselves.. It took a while for decent ORAS information to trickle in.. {XD} ;_;

Back