• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Any anime you liked the first season of, but not later seasons?

Years
  • Are there any anime you enjoyed the first season of, but not later seasons for one reason or another? Such as plot/story, pacing, a change in art studio, etc - whatever you can think of that made you not like it.

pkmin3033

If we're talking seasons that are part of a franchise and have a reset with each fresh one, I can think of plenty. Digimon, Precure, and Gundam all have some truly atrocious seasons to their names - Tamers, HeartCatch, and Reconguista as one example of each respectively.

But for longer-running franchises...Pokemon and Dragonball Z come to mind. Pokemon has always been all over the place, but the Unova seasons in particular stand out as absolutely awful, with the two worst companions and most unsatisfying league to date. Lots of pointless filler, lots of tournament arc padding, and Ash's worst squad to date. As for Dragonball Z...well, the Garlic Jr. Saga kind of speaks for itself, and so does the Great Saiyaman Saga. I'm also going to say the Universal Survival Saga that closed off Dragonball Super was absolutely shit, it introduced far too many one-note characters and didn't really do anything in terms of worldbuilding or character development the way the others did.

Psycho-Pass 2 was also terrible. I prefer to pretend that never happened.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I loved the first season of Pokemon which was the Indigo League and after that the later seasons the plot start to drop.

pkmin3033

This was actually the only Precure saga I watched and I honestly loved it. What didn't you like compared to other sagas, curiously?
    Mostly because of the art style, but also because it's frustratingly edgy for the sake of it, at least for a kid's show. I didn't like Cure Moonlight as a character, or the excessive amount of focus that she got in the show despite being a very minor player for about half of it.

Years
  • Promised Neverland was good in season one.

It's rare that I let reviews and such sway me in regard to media. But the pure outrage directed at season two has been putting me off from trying it. I'll probably brave it eventually, but I loved season one. It's one of my favourite pieces of animated media to be released in recent years. Maybe I'll try the manga instead since it's not an action series or anything.

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    Tokyo Ghoul root a and re: season 2 were awful. Rushed, invented their own storylines which contradict the source material. So I always repeat: go read the manga. It's really really good.

Nisemonogatari is dreadful. Karen Bee arc is too long imo, nothing much happens throughout and it's obvious incest bait. Not that there is none of it later in monogatari, but it's in the spotlight here. Kaiki's introduction near the end is the silver lining.

6th kara no kyoukai movie is by far my least favorite in the series. Another incest bait. What made it worse for me is that it comes after the incredible 5th movie which is my favorite anime movie in general.

Does rwby count? Everything season 4 onwards feels like a different show with the same characters.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Promised Neverland, the hatchet job that was Tokyo Ghoul, Aggretsuko - strangely, and Rent a Girlfriend. The first season of RAG was relatively enjoyable, but the second season was just... meh. Aggretsuko was a strange one, since I did enjoy the first season and enjoyed part of the second season, but I felt like around the halfway point it just kind of stopped being as interesting and I finished it but wasn't as concerned about the third season when it came around and haven't seen the 4th season yet. Promised Neverland and Tokyo Ghoul have been explained previously, but yeah, just disappointing.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Recently, The Devil is a Part-Timer Season 2. This season was long-awaited, but it was a huge disappointment for me. It did not have the charm nor the comedy of the first season where the series is essentially an isekai where Satan finds himself powerless in Japan and has to work in fast-food to survive. Season 2 couldn't decide if it wanted to be serious or goofy. After having several episodes of the gang working odd jobs, this season tried introducing this war in Heaven and the backstory/connection with Hero Emilia's mother, but it felt flat. The last episode has shoddy animation and the antagonist (who was a joke to begin with) retreats. The newly introduced character, Alas Ramus, is a mysterious and adorable toddler, but she could only carry the show so far. By episode 12, I was more annoyed with her screen time than anything.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I don't think this applies to me. Chances are great if I enjoyed the first season, I would enjoy the whole series, unless it completely jumps the shark for whatever reason.

Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I loved the first 12-15 episodes of Durarara or whatever the first arc covered then it fell off for me

Back