• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Anybody else not care about using a new team for the DLC?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
  • As the title states, I've seen quite a few people talking about catching a brand new team for The Teal Mask DLC, whereas I myself just used some of my main game Pokemon. I was wondering if anyone else didn't bother trying to make a team from the ground up or if it was just me.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Used three Pokemon from the main story. Never leveled up all of them. Seemed more fun to use level 60s-70s than steamroll with level 100s. (Did the latter in Isle of Armor, admittedly.) Grabbed a properly trained (but not fully leveled) Cacturne from the PC and a wild Yanma for fun. Filled the final slot with a level 100 Breloom for catching Pokemon.

Was glad to have done that. Felt nice to break out the old team again. Resulted in some decent battles (albeit at an advantage). Understood the difficulty of the DLC better. Noticed some things that would have been missed otherwise, like held items on trainers.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • I used my team from the main game too!There all shiny :D. Although I made Okidogi a permanent member of my main team! I even caught him in a love ball somehow. I love Okidogi so much, lol

SPOILERS FOR THE DLC
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends. Unless the DLC is considerably long, I don't think I'd build a new team just for it.

But I have not bought it or seen gameplay of it yet, so I don't know what levels the opposite trainers have. My main game team ended up around level 65, so if I have to battle level 30 trainers... well, I guess it would make more sense to use a new team. I don't know if these DLC are meant to be played after the main game or at what point, but if it's balanced around my team levels I'll definitely stick to them.

I'm actually considering waiting until the second DLC is out and playing both together. That way I'd have more content worth it if I end up making a DLC team.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    It depends. Unless the DLC is considerably long, I don't think I'd build a new team just for it.

But I have not bought it or seen gameplay of it yet, so I don't know what levels the opposite trainers have. My main game team ended up around level 65, so if I have to battle level 30 trainers... well, I guess it would make more sense to use a new team. I don't know if these DLC are meant to be played after the main game or at what point, but if it's balanced around my team levels I'll definitely stick to them.

I'm actually considering waiting until the second DLC is out and playing both together. That way I'd have more content worth it if I end up making a DLC team.

Wrote the levels of some trainers below. Spoilered it, just in case. Removed the names, also.
    Spoiler:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I didn't build a new team for the DLC specifically, but I definitely made a new team out of returning Pokémon that I like after catching them.

Years
  • I'll probably add the new legendary birb to my team, other than that my team will remain the same. I'm not gonna bother training a new team.
    It's gonna be a while before I actually play this though.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    "Scales" in level, similar to Isle of Armor. Will either be low level or high level. Does not know the trigger yet. Presumes beating the final story of the base game. Could be earlier. Saw someone claim they had 8 badges, but had not beaten the Pokemon League yet. Saw all low levels in the Teal Mask areas still.

That's better than I expected, I didn't know they would make two "versions" of the DLC in terms of levels (never played Isle of Armor either). Sounds like it will be fine to keep either my first or second playthrough team then (or possibly combine both) since they're all more or less at the same levels of the final Area Zero boss.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I was originally going to do this. I did it for Isle of Armor and then used that team for Tundra. By as I played through, I just didn't want to train my pokemon so much. I didn't have much candy and the pokemon I wanted were fairly low level compared to the trainer battles, so I couldn't really get the hang of that. Plus the story itself was somewhat short.

I did however make a new team, but with past pokemon I've caught through all my games. Like a Shiny Charizard I got in a trade many year ago on this site from HGSS era. I used my Lucario from Kalos games. A Shiny Gardevoir I got at some point in BW. A Krookodile from... either Kalos or Alola. I don't remember. I don't think it was the one I used so much in BW. And then I had my Battle Bond Greninja. As well as a few other pokemon from over the years that rotated.

I might try again in DLC 2, but I am enjoying using pokemon I've caught over the years. I will say that I am planning on using two pokemon from the first DLC, that were important to the story and side story. I also want to try to catch a Shining Poliwag, Honestly I'd love to catch an entire new team, because I made some new favorite pokemon when I did it in Isle of Armor.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I didn't play the Sw/Sh DLC until the S/V DLC was about to drop, so I never heard about using a new team for DLC until now. I am trying it out, but I have too many Dragon-type and Fighting-type Pokémon on my team, so I need to make some changes. I tried using a shiny Magcargo (found as a Slugma) on them team to cover my lack of Fire attacks, but he kept getting smoked by trainers. All of my Pokémon have different tera types since I've found them in dens or changed them on purpose, but that isn't enough to get by on since you have to recharge your tera by clicking a den or going all the way back to the Pokémon Center.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I used my main Scarlet team on my first playthrough of the Teal Mask

Quaquaval
    Kilowattrel
    Pawmot
    Scovillain
    Farigiraf
    Baxcalibur

This was the team I used on my second playthrough of the Teal Mask

Meowscarada
    Braviary (Hisuian)
    Arbok (Electric Tera)
    Palafin
    Ursaluna (Bloodmoon)
    Kommo-o

This is the team I used on my 3rd playthrough of the Teal Mask

Skeledirge
    Swanna
    Vikavolt
    Dipplin
    Ursaluna (Regular)
    Weezing

This is the team I will be using on my 4th playthrough of the Teal Mask

Quaquaval
    Kilowattrel
    Ariados
    Magcargo
    Sinischa
    Wyrdeer

I used my main Violet team on my first playthrough of the Teal Mask

Skeledirge
    Kilowattrel
    Palafin
    Espathra
    Cetitan
    Daschbun

This is the team I used on my 2nd playthrough of the Teal Mask

Meowscarada
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Overqwil
    Arcanine (Hisuian)
    Milotic

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Seen Nov 29, 2023
    I've never bothered to do that, makes more sense to me just to go in with my main game team that I beat the game with, regardless of whether I left them at somewhere like level 70-80 or got them all up to 100. Much more convenient too!

Years
  • I used my existing maxed out Azumarill and my Fury Cutter Scizor for catching things, both lv. 100. The rest were things I got in the wild that I put on the team to evolve and add to the dex. Easy!

Back