• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you Pure?

Dragneil

Lightning Trainer
Years
  • the last time I cheated, well I guess its cheating is the old school missingno glitch in the original red and blue version xD But I don't know if its considered cheating since game freak put it in the game /shrug

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I've only ever cheated to put Pokemon in for a challenge, and to cut grinding in game. I rarely cheat. I've never cloned. never fiddled with the RNG, and I've never hacked my Pokemon.

A touch impure, but mostly pure. :p

Last edited:
    Years
  • I've almost never completed a game without some cheating. the first time I ever completed my pokedex in Red, it would have been impossible to complete without a gameshark as my family moved from place to place so often it was impossible to make friends with whom to link up and trade. Now, I occasionally do manual (gameboy) runthroughs of 1st and 2nd gen games using no cheats. I see no serious benefit to it other than the fact that it helps me to discern the best combinations of pokemon. I continuously test out new combos of 6. I've been adding Zubats from Mt.Moon to all my beginning parties recently and trying to train it without the use of rare candies. It's a challenge.

LetsPlayALoveGame

Wielder of the Disco Stick
    Years
    • Age 31
    • he/him
    • Texas
    • Seen Mar 9, 2023
    I've always been vehemently anti-cheating myself. I remember I had whole paragraphs about how I wouldn't battle anyone with hacked teams on my YouTube channel back during the 4th gen days. I did have an Action Replay for a short time when I had Platinum, which I only used to hack in a Mew and a Mantine for my ingame team. They had legit stats and moves, however. I have never used any sort of cheat/abuse for competitive online play aside from a Giratina that I had my friend PokeGen for me, and I only did it because I couldn't find anyone who would trade me one with a nickname, and I didn't want one otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2020
    I "cheat" constantly, and contentedly, though only on a limited basis.

The only online battling I do is on Showdown, so that's not an issue either way. All my "cheating" is in my own game.

I used to spend hours and hours hunting for just the right pokemon for my team, and since I tend to use a lot of pokemon in a single playthrough (rotating through lots of them to make teams for whatever I'm doing at that moment instead of just using one fixed team), that meant that I was spending all that time hunting for just the right one for a couple of dozen different pokemon. I'd find a spot where I could catch one I wanted, save at the edge of it, then go catch one. I'd have an empty slot in my party so that it would show up immediately, then I'd check its ability and nature and calculate its stats and if it wasn't what I wanted, I'd reset and do it again. And again. And again. And again. For hours and hours and hours at a time.

No more. I just can't be bothered to do that any more. Now I find something I want and I catch one, then I import the save to pokegen and give it the ability and nature I want, and randomize the stats until I get something decent - the sort of stats that I would've kept searching for anyway.

None of them are really overpowered - for that, I might as well not bother playing the games at all. If the ability matters, then I'd wait for my preference anyway, and the same with nature, so the pokemon I use now aren't any better in that respect than they ever were - I just get them with much less fuss and bother. For stats, I shoot for something in the high 20s or so for the important stats (main attacking stat, speed if it's pertinent, HP for a wall or a tank - that sort of thing), nothing less than about 12 for other useful stats and whatever for the ones they won't use anyway. Again, that's what I would've ended up with after all the time I'd waste before, so the only thing that's changed is that I don't waste the time.

Beyond that though... I can't quite bring myself to do much. I hack in Shards in BW2, for pretty much the same reason - I could get all I need by spending lots of hours and lots of max repels chasing down dust swirls in caves, but it's just easier to hack them in. I went back and replayed Diamond a while back and found myself hacking in TMs, since I've been totally spoiled by reusable TMs and can't go back to single use ones now. And... that's about it. I still breed for egg moves and level babies up from scratch, I still only catch what's actually available, they're still only shiny if they're actually shiny in-game, I still EV train anything that's going to need it, none of them have perfect stats or any of that stuff. I just play the games pretty much the same way I've always played them, except I don't waste anywhere near as much time hunting for just the right pokemon and spend more time just playing.

Years
  • I'm pure when it comes to Pokemon games, haha. I've never really felt the need to hack, except for when it takes a very long time to find a rare Pokemon in the wild. Those frustrating hours definitely tempt me to go out and buy a cheating device, but I've kept those desires inside so far. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as there's a logical reason, like wanting to play the entire game with Manaphy as your starter! I may very well use hacking sometime in the future.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Well, I've got half a box full of event Pokemon which I transfered through a custom GTS server to gen 5 and through Pokebank to gen 6. They are simply there for having them (and maybe if I feel like using them ingame for a while), especially since I have more than one box full of Pokes I spend hours and hours full of breeding and EV training.
    Using your own Pokemon feels a little bit better, because of all the work, especially when you see them winning online battle after online battle.

I wish there was an alternative way besides hacking/timed events to obtain them, because I'd really want to use some of them in a couple of online battles xD

Years
  • I'm impure, having taken advantage of the cloning glitch in Gold many times and using the Action Replay and Gameshark in RSE, FRLG, and DPPt. However, since Plat. I've mostly stopped using any cheating devices, though I will use the Gameshark to get the event items in the various games since they're unavailable over Wi-Fi or Pokecheck to get certain event Pokemon. However, in terms of catching and training Pokemon, finding shinies, and catching legends, I use my own skills.

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Well one of my earliest memories was using a Gameshark to hack in a shiny Mewtwo into pokemon Crystal so I was bitten by the bug at a young age, poor me. I messed about with Action replay in 3rd gen too, shiny tyranitar was too legit to quit. Since 4th gen onwards, where WiFi became a real thing I've all but stopped: the furthest I've gone is various Cloning gitches and using the combination of Pokecheck + Private GTS servers to store lots of my mons in a bank and clone them before...pokebank. I don't see a real need to hack pokemon anymore thanks to RNG being a really easy thing in 5th gen + easy breeding mechanics and it's that bit more satisfying when you do hatch your 5V Shiny Wurmple! Though I'm cool with people using Pokegen and the like for their own personal use. Not everyone has the same time to invest into mons, the problem is when you try and pass them off to other people as legitimate.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
    Years
  • I tend to use cheats whenever I please, since that's how I like to play. Having access to things you normally wouldn't is rather nice, especially if you tend to be playing on an emulator and wouldn't have access to event Pokemon otherwise, for example.

However, I limit what I do. There will be no infinite Rare Candies, no level 100s at the start of the game, nothing like that. After all, cheating too extensively can make a game too easy, and thus, rather boring. I'm not the sort who likes EXTREME HARD MODE or anything, but maintaining some of the challenge is nice, at least.

So the answer is no for me.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I really don't see the point in hacking in perfect IV Pokémon, or x999 Rare Candies/Master Balls. Not only does it remove the fun out of the game but it's not really the way intended to play, so yes I am most definitely a pure.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I only cheat when a challenge requires that I use a certain cheat to complete it. Such as the No exp challenge, where I have to use a cheat that makes it so I never gain exp.

Years
  • All I've done is:
    -The cloning cheat in Crystal and Emerald
    -Action Replaying in some items in Pearl
    -Getting Meloetta, Genesect, and the other legendaries in Black before they were released

So I'm not pure, but I try to avoid it.

Years
  • If you've been trading online for a while, chances are you probably have a cloned Pokemon.

I do cheat after I do most things I could do legitimately in-game (because cheating solely to beat the game ruins the fun), but I do not pass off hacked Pokemon as legitimate (at least if I know if it's hacked).

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I haven't used an AR in a long time.... I recently got it to work again, but I no longer use it to cheat. Well, sort of. I've been using it to explore the void & Mystery Zone in Diamond and Pearl.

But I don't use it to obtain Pokemon or items. It takes all the fun out of playing the game.

Tek

Years
  • Before I had friends that I could trade with, I cheated a bunch of pokemon to my HG to get dex entries. I released them all afterwards though. I do have about ten Master Balls that were illegitimately obtained, I may or may not keep them. I also used impure methods to obtain one of each of the really rare berries, which I have been cultivating ever since.

I've pretty much always used cheats and exploits, but I generally try to do so without ruining the challenge of the game, and I never cheat unless I've already beaten a game legitimately. My favorite cheats ever were in G/S/C. I would usually swap my starter for something neat, or sometimes get all three starters, and I changed all the berry trees to Master Ball trees.

Years
  • I don't cheat in any game, but I may consider cheating in third and fourth gen games in the future to do some event that are not available anymore, like catching mew in emerald or shaymin in platinum, obviously I'd only get the items to start the events and then catch the pokemon the right way.

Origin Green

Smell ya later!
    Years
  • I don't cheat in any game, but I may consider cheating in third and fourth gen games in the future to do some event that are not available anymore, like catching mew in emerald or shaymin in platinum, obviously I'd only get the items to start the events and then catch the pokemon the right way.

I agree, I don't have an action replay, but I've considered buying one just for this reason, I mean some Pokemon, like Deoxys, haven't been able to be legitimately caught for over 10 years!

Back