• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

attention spans

how is your attention span?

I used to be able to play video games pretty much all day but nowadays, it seems like I can only maintain interest for a few hours before I need to do something else. same goes for a lot of other things - drawing, watching anime or tv shows, reading, etc. what about you guys? are there certain things you are more or less attentive to than before?

Years
    • Seen today
    My attention span isn't good at all.

I do homework in 30 minute intervals. Same with studying. If I'm playing a video game i'm still usually getting distracted by something on my phone.

Even if i'm playing Pokemon Showdown, if the opponent is taking too long then I catch myself tabbing out and googling random questions about history or something.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think for me it all depends on what I'm doing. I can play Pokemon for hours some days and others maybe 30 minutes before I need to put it down and do something else.

Years
    Depends on what's holding my attention.
    Sometimes I'm focused so much on something that I don't hear anything else.

Years
    Depends on what's holding my attention.
    Sometimes I'm focused so much on something that I don't hear anything else.

This. If it's something interesting/that I enjoy, I will be pretty much consumed by it until my attention is forcibly dragged away. If I'm bored though...

pkmin3033

Sometimes my attention span is so short I can't even be bothered to finish my sen

Years
    If I care about it, it has my undivided attention for hours on end.

Turns out these days I just don't care about a lot of things anymore.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    It's really hit or miss with me. Sometimes I'll get into something and just disappear for 15 or 16 hours as I invest myself into it, and other times I can't focus on something for more than an hour. It's definitely gotten worse as I've started coming out into the world on my own more and stopped relying on others for anything. And then again, it depends on what I'm focusing on. I can still sit and watch through an entire season of anime 4 or 5 days out of the week, but if I try to sit down and play a video game I'm just sitting there bouncing my knee and watching my phone to keep track of time.

Maybe it has to do with being afraid of immersing myself into something so deeply that I lose track of reality? When I write up posts for roleplays I can disappear into a google doc for three or four hours and just zone out with some instrumental music on my headphones, but I've been doing that long enough now that I know roughly how long it'll take to finish writing that post. Maybe now days it's not so much about how long I can pay attention for, but the idea of knowing how long each activity I'm going to partake in will take out of my day. With the things whose time is roughly known I can indulge myself freely knowing just what kind of chunk I'm devoting to that hobby, but for anything else where there's not a clear or known goal it's more of a worry of wasting that time. If I stop halfway into a three hour gaming session because I just don't feel like playing, then I feel like I've wasted that hour and a half and sit there moping, wasting away the other hour that I could have been doing something else and then I'll blame my emotions at the time on my gaming experience.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Not good - I tend to zone out from whatever I'm doing within a few seconds and I'll lowkey but not fully be paying attention to it. I find its incredibly hard to keep my attention for a long time. Especially with things like school, I'll get it done through discipline but spend a lot of the time accidentally zoning out of lectures or thinking about 2719008280 other thoughts whilst I'm trying to get the 1 task done. I'll also admit I tend to zone out completely of convos and realise I'm not paying attention because I'll be distracted by other thoughts running in my head that speak over the person talking :(

Bay

Years
    My attention span can be a hit or miss. Before I can immense myself with writing and take on several stories/events at once, binge reading, or play a video game for several hours. Lately though I would write a sentence or two before distracted myself with Twitter or play a few minutes of ACNH and like "gonna just do these tasks real quick and go." Just recently I try to read a fanfic but I kept getting zoned out, so I might have to reread passages again before writing my comment.

Back