• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best friends, past and present

Years
  • I'm sure many of us have had a best friend at some point in our lives, so tell us about yours. They can either be a best friend you had in your earlier days, someone you only met recently that you've gotten very close with, or any other situation. Is this best friend one you still speak to, or have you moved on? How did you meet?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • FCG is my best friend, plain and simple. She took the initiative to reach out to me, requested me to be her co-Moderator, was the first person from the site to chat with me on Discord about non-official PC business, and did it often at that. I've never met anyone who has taken that much interest in being friends with me before, so I responded by taking a genuine interest in FCG's life. If I hadn't, I would have never seen, much less played, some fantastic games, watched some really great movies (a few of which I happily count as new favorites), had the motivation to finally get a laptop capable of running more intensive PC games and a Steam account as well! She honestly inspired me to do a lot more than I normally would have if we'd have never met... Getting to talk to her almost every day was one of the reasons 2023 was one of the best years of my life! I can easily go weeks or months without talking to other people in my life, (quite used to it actually) but I genuinely look forward to getting to chat with someone for a change! Someone who doesn't make me feel like they are only doing it out of obligation, like she actually wants to talk to me! I never really knew what that felt like before... I don't expect her to feel the same way about me, this is just how it is for me and I'm perfectly fine with that. ^^

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    @Alex_Among_Foxes that was such a sweet reply, one of the sweetest things I have read in a while! Happy for you :D

About the topic, I don't have a best friend. I have amazing friends now, and some really good school friends, but I don't call anyone a best friend anymore, that word has just lost its meaning for me.

I have met many people I used to call best friend throughout the years, but now I have trust issues with people to the point that I rarely connect with anyone anymore.

That said, I do have one friend who I always visit when I get to go to home, and he's the closest thing to a "best friend" for me, but I much more consider him a brother though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The term "best friend" is kind of a burnt phrase to me. Never really had much luck in that department. One person ended up being a thief, another person pretty much showed me that feeling and emotions can, in fact, be non-mutual. And where that came from is still more.

I'm not particularly "best friend" material. My main features are "lacks of personality" and "broad spectrum of interests, but everything surface level at best". ^^"

Years
  • I seem to be a lot like Megan on many aspects lol.
    My main features are "lacks of personality" and "broad spectrum of interests, but everything surface level at best". ^^"
    First thing is moderately relatable, the second one is totally me.

Anyway, no I don't really have a best friend either. I used to when I was a child. Mainly at school and we talked and went to each other houses'. This stuff, basically. Then, we just got separated and never saw each other. This story happened a couple of times. It's kinda complicated for me to have true friends irl right now, simply because I see myself moving city every 2 to 4 years because of uni. So, friendships really come and go.
    So, a friend that come and stays yeah I don't have that one. I have some solid friendships that might be ruined asap I come out, but anyway it's not even that. They're not really deep friendships. If we count online friends, yes I have a bunch but a best friend yeah nope. I don't really think I need a best friend, I guess I have enough people to satisfy my basic needs.

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    The term "best friend" is kind of a burnt phrase to me. Never really had much luck in that department. One person ended up being a thief, another person pretty much showed me that feeling and emotions can, in fact, be non-mutual. And where that came from is still more.

I'm not particularly "best friend" material. My main features are "lacks of personality" and "broad spectrum of interests, but everything surface level at best". ^^"
    If there's one thing I have observed in this topic, it's that there is nothing like "best friend material". And "lack of personality" isn't something someone accounts when making friends.

Friends just vibe. That's it. And grow together.

Though I must say, didn't expect someone to share my views on the concept of "best friend" too though!

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I'm sure many of us have had a best friend at some point in our lives, so tell us about yours. They can either be a best friend you had in your earlier days, someone you only met recently that you've gotten very close with, or any other situation. Is this best friend one you still speak to, or have you moved on? How did you meet?
    My earliest best friend was someone I just happened to be in the same class with in elementary school. We lived really close by, had a lot of common interests, and were very open about what the other was into. Almost every day after school we would be at one of our houses playing something together or watching old YouTube videos and it was great.
    Some stuff I regret happened, and they ended up moving to a different part of the city and going to a different school. However, we're still connected on Discord and Steam and have sent a few messages to each other over the years since. I wouldn't say we still talk, but knowing I'm still connected to them in some way even if we probably don't know who each other are anymore still makes me happy.

After that, I can't really say I've had a "best friend" like that? I'm not gonna go ranking my friends on a tier list or anything or think some are better than others, I'm just closer or further in some people's lives. The last person I considered my closest friend was an awful person, so I guess I've moved on from considering people in that way. I have more friends than I did back then, or when I was a child, and just having one or a few groups of friends is fine by me.

Years
  • had my first real best friends from 4th to 6th grade elementary where we were so close we literally named ourselves as an exclusive "organization" of sorts lol. we were 4 nerdy kids talking about video games and visiting each other's houses to play. well scratch that, they never actually went to my place bcs we didn't have a family computer yet at the time. my fondest memory with them was inviting them to a donut shop for my 11th or 12th bday or whatever, and going to an internet cafe after to play counter strike for like 3 hours lol. it's been so long since i've talked to those guys, i see them on facebook but we've just lost contact over the years.

after that when i transferred schools, i was sort of a nomad. jumping from friend group to friend group and generally getting by, but never rly finding a clique as close as those guys ever again. this was my life throughout highschool and the first two years or so of college. i was part of big groups like glee club in highschool and choir in college, but i wouldn't rly consider them my best friends. just me being one of their friends that they hang out with a lot bcs of circumstances. and that's perfectly ok! i like the chillness of our relationships.

nowadays my closest best friend is my partner. with how much we've been through, she knows me more than anyone i think. we have a close circle of her besties and i feel like i belong just fine with them. i'm happy how things are right now socially tbh :D

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I had that. It's gone forever and makes me sad.

I will mention that the closest friendships I've made had almost nothing to do with our shared interests. The most wonderful bonds I've shared are from others who had nothing in common with me. I guess it forces out deeper thoughts. Or makes me talk outside my bubble of comfort.

Years
  • Friend I've known for a while since we were young. Stuff happened to him and didn't see him till he was grown up. For sure we were best friends way back when we were kids, but now...not as much. He's moved onto other interests and is adulting a lot more than I am. I feel like we both just grew up and moved onto other pastures. Not a big deal, tbh.

Years
  • Never had a best friend. I do now, but I'm not used to it.
    I've never been able to make or keep friends on the /extremely/ rare occasion that I somehow make one.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    [...]. I'm not particularly "best friend" material. My main features are "lacks of personality" and "broad spectrum of interests, but everything surface level at best". ^^"

I seem to be a lot like Megan on many aspects lol.
    First thing is moderately relatable, the second one is totally me.

[...]

I feel for you two... For a long time I've always lacked the personality and the willingness to put myself out there, so my friends just came and went as we all changed schools. We bonded mostly through doing homework together or playing videogames but that was it.

When I started university, it took me a long time to make friends. But eventually it worked! I started having more female than male friends, I started going out with them a bit more often (one of the most important experiences was a visit to a city's science museum that took 2/3 hours of train to get to - it felt like a big milestone for me, since it was just me and my friends for a long journey) and that's when I slowly started making more efforts myself to not let the friendship just fade. Second degree, and finally I feel better about myself, I can stand out as a person... And was able to make more friends along the way. One of them is probably the closest thing I've ever had to a best friend - after all the group projects and such we bonded closely and I can tell she really brings out my personality when we are together.

In the meantime I was able to catch back onto some of the people in my past that still mean a lot to me, and I have now a more varied group of people that I can call good friends. I admit I still have to improve in some areas but overall, I'm doing ok :woop:

Back