• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best use of the DS's second screen?

Which was the best idea?

• Pokétch (DPPt)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • The entire menu plus more (HGSS)

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • C-Gear (BW/B2W2)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PSS (XY)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Pokémon-Amie (XY)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Super Training (XY)

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • Interesting question came into my head just now. What Pokémon game had the best use of the DS's second screen...while simply walking around the overworld that is?

In the Sinnoh-based games, you had the Pokétch, a multi-purpose digital watch that could be expanded upon by collecting new apps from NPCs.

In HGSS, the entire menu system was displayed, in addition to buttons to have the running shoes always active and two key item shortcuts (which was a lot for the time).

In the Unova-based games, you had the C-Gear, which allowed you to communicate with friends via IR wireless and access the Intralink.

In XY, you can switch between the PSS, which conveniently allows you to battle and trade with anyone anywhere, the Pokémon-Amie feature, and the Super Training feature.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • The Poketch was really convenient for me, as its many apps gave me aid during my adventure. So many apps, from the necessary map, to the day care app. Sadly, the Poketch's apps are scattered everywhere, so you have to look around to find various apps. They're a big help, as they give you that ease of access with the apps, where you'd usually have to open up the menu. Made things convenient.

Years
  • I liked the menu in HGSS that had the entire menu on Start. Made things notably more convenient, I never really cared for the Pokétch all that much.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • My favorite would be the menu in HGSS, it made everything so much faster and easier to choose instead of pressing a button for the menu to pop up. You could have the menu right under while still doing whatever you were doing :P

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I have to go with the PPS introduced in X/Y.
    Its a very easy and simple way to see who is online and who is doing what.
    Using O-Powers, trading and battling is only a few simple clicks away, and i love it (:
    The Passerby function is also a fun gimmick

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I was gonna say HGSS, but then XY happened. Now I have to choose between Amie and PSS. :( PSS makes trading so much easier and faster. I love it. And then Amie is...well, I've spent more time in Amie than actually battling probably. Amie wins!

C-Gear is the most worthless bottom screen imo.

Years
  • I was gonna say HGSS, but then XY happened. Now I have to choose between Amie and PSS. :( PSS makes trading so much easier and faster. I love it. And then Amie is...well, I've spent more time in Amie than actually battling probably. Amie wins!

C-Gear is the most worthless bottom screen imo.

I pretty much agree with Syddy. XY really made good use of the bottom screen which is nice since I use Pokemon Amie a lot to bring out the potential of my Pokemon. HGSS comes close with its feature to turn on automatic running shoes.

BW/B2W2, while being my fave generation, pretty much got the end of the short stick as far as this topic is concerned. I couldn't even make the most out of the C-Gear since I never bothered with Global Link and now that's gone (well, 5th Gen one that is) there's no reason to even use it.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
  • The poketch, the HGSS menu, the Pokemon-Amie, and the PSS are the most convenient. They all have their own reasons so I'd say they're about even for me personally.
    I voted for the PSS though because it's the one I use the most nowadays and it's incredibly useful and I find it fun communicating with other players.
    Although, the running shoes option in HGSS was the best thing ever. I no longer had to abuse the poor B button.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Poketch was aesthetically ugly imo, and none of the apps were really worth keeping it constantly on, like I had the health bar page as my "default" which seemed almost pointless.

Never touched C-gear in my life.

HGSS and all the stuff in XY are both very useful, I think I like HGSS more though because it's all there, and you don't have to like flip through stuff to get to the features. I hate flipping from PSS to Amie to ST for some reason, because it's always really slow or I'll pass the one I'm looking for.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    The menu was overhoul nicely in G/S remakes which makes easier to point and tab instead just using d-pad to control, I also likes poketech it's fun screen and helpful too. I never use C-gear since I don't own a DS lite anymore

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I personally loved the menu from HeartGold and SoulSilver, as it included all your start menu options in one, convenient place. Second favorite would have to be Pokémon-Amie. As for least favorite, I would say C-Gear. For me, it was too complicated. d:

Twisted Cuteness

Always a team
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Pokemon Amie, definitely! I can spend hours playing with my team on there. It's innovative and so cute. It makes you feel that much closer to your pokemon

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    HG/SS takes first place, as the touch screen can be used for everything except for movement.

Your left hand holds your DS so you can use the D-Pad, then with the touch screen you can control literally everything else.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2015
    Pokemon X/Y made brilliant use of the touch screen for menu interactions, so it's pretty much given that I believe it's the best menu-based use of the touch screen.

If it were a question of game mechanics in general, then HG/SS hands down due to the Pokeathlon. I'm still bitter that many great features from that game weren't carried over >.>

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I've only played up to Black & White. The Pokétch was really good in some ways - seeing your pokémon in daycare, tracking Mesprit without having to look at a Pokédex etc.

However I'd say HgSs definitely had the best system, allowing you to play with one hand on the stylus, one on the direction pad made it so much easier as opposed to DPPtBW where you have to either stow away your stylus when walking around, or hold it awkwardly in two fingers whilst also holding the DS and using your thumb for ABXY buttons.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    The menu made everything easier and much more simple. :) And the key items there as well, so I'm going with the HG/SS menu.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • PSS and XY touch screen features already have a touch menu much like HG SS so I'll focus on Pokemon XY. I like to use the PSS and the Pokemon-amie alot in the games. The Super Training segment I oly use it to check my team w/o going to the menu everytime and also to check EVs.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • To me, it's a bit of a tie when it comes to HG/SS and XY. Both had brilliant things that you could interact with and kept you busy when you didn't feel like doing much but playing with your pokemon

Back