• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Branched/split evolutions

Years
  • Quite a few Pokémon in the series have branched evolutions - or evolutions where the Pokémon can only choose to evolve into one evolution, after which the other one from the branch becomes inaccessible. Here's the full list! Regional forms are also included in this list, though I'm speaking more about Pokémon with branched evolutions that can be accessed normally without being tied to a specific one due to being in a certain region.

Do you like these evolutions and would you want to continue seeing them in later generations? What are some of your favorite evolutions from the branched/split lines? Are there any situations where you like one branched one a lot more than the other?

I'm a big fan of Politoed and like it wayy more than Poliwrath. Vileplume is pretty cute too, but I also just adore Bellossom so much more.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    my preferences are:

Bellossom over Vileplume

Politoed over Poliwrath

Slowking over Slowbro

Hitmontop over Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee

Dustox over Beautifly

Shedinja over Ninjask

Glalie over Froslass

Lycanrock Midnight is my favorite.

Lunala over Solgaleo

The ones I didn't name I just don't have strong feelings about or the difference is 50%-50%.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Sure, I'll make a list too:
    Spoiler:

My favorite branched evolution lines are probably the Eeveelutions, the Wurmple line (I don't even have a well-thought-out reason, they're just both so well-designed and just, iconic & underrated to me), Gardevoir/Gallade (don't get me wrong, I wish they could both be either gender, but I still love their "floaty, ethereal, pure psychic/magic power" + "more substantial, grounded physical fighter" dynamic), Lycanroc Midday & Midnight (love the idea of a little puppy who becomes a wolf in the sun and a werewolf in the moon), and Ninjask/Shedinja if that counts (but I always thought of it differently because you don't have to choose one).

Years
  • Let's see...
    -Bellossom over Vileplume.
    -Politoed over Poliwrath.
    -Johto Slowking over Kanto Slowbro. However:
    -Galarian Slowbro over Galarian Slowking.
    -Scizor over Kleavor.
    -Glaceon over Espeon over Vaporeon over Leafeon over Sylveon over Flareon over Jolteon over Umbreon.
    -Hitmonchan over Hitmonlee over Hitmontop.
    -Beautifly over Dustox.
    -Gardevoir over Gallade.
    -Ninjask over Shedinja simply because of how easily Shedinja dies.
    -Froslass over Glalie.
    -Gorebyss over Huntail.
    -Wormadam over Mothim, but only if Plant Cloak.
    -Lunala over Solgaleo, though the evo depends on the game.
    -Flapple over Appletun.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Time for me to take sides... or not!

- Bellossom over Vileplume, despite having used Vileplume in Let's Go. (Never again.)
    - Politoed a million times over Poliwrath. Again, this is despite having used Poliwrath in Crystal. I didn't have anyone to trade with and needed a Fighting-type to get through Karen, so...
    - Slowking over Slowbro. This one since childhood, because I loved the Slowking in the second movie. That also goes for its Galarian forms.
    - Both Scizor and Kleavor. I do tend to prefer Steel-types, but I love them both too much to choose one.
    - Original Eeveelutions (Vaporeon, Flareon and Jolteon) over any of the post-Generation I Eeveelutions. I think I've said this before, but I'd very much appreciate if they went back to the original design philosophy for future Eeveelutions.
    - Hitmontop over Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan. It looks like a tiny bear/dog, while the other two are way too uncanny valley for me to like.
    - No sides on Beautifly vs. Dustox. I don't care about either of them.
    - Gallade over Gardevoir. I like them both, but Gallade is one of the few Fighting-types I can stand and has an amazing design that made the gender split worth it.
    - Both Ninjask and Shedinja. I wouldn't consider them a branched evolution since Shedinja is kind of a cast-off evolution, and I like them both.
    - No sides on Glalie vs. Froslass. I used to like Froslass as a kid, but now I find them both creepy.
    - Huntail over Gorebyss, but only marginally; I don't care about either.
    - Mothim over any form of Wormadam. He's ADORABLE, and another case that makes gender-split evolutions worth it alongside Gallade and Meowstic.
    - Dusk Lycanroc over either Midday or Midnight Lycanroc. I already liked the Midday form a lot but making it orange and Extra Fluffy was worth the convoluted evolution method. Ash's Lycanroc in the anime was also cute (and quite scary when angered.)
    - Solgaleo over Lunala. I love Ghost-types, but Lunala has two huge gaping weaknesses that I can't get past. Plus, a kitteh is a kitteh.
    - Appletun over Flapple. C h o n k, and a good Special attacker as well.
    - No sides on Amped vs. Low-Key Toxtricity. It didn't make much of a difference trying both and I don't care for the Mon itself.
    - Rapid Strike Urshifu over Single Strike Urshifu. It's just neater.

And if Regional forms that evolve from a single Mon can count as split evolutions...
    -Alolan Exeggutor over Kantonian Exeggutor,
    -Alolan Marowak over Kantonian Marowak,
    -Both Kantonian Raichu and Alolan Raichu (babies!),
    -Kantonian Weezing over Galarian Weezing,
    -Hisuian Typhlosion over Johtonian Typhlosion,
    -Both Alolan Decidueye and Hisuian Decidueye,
    -Unovan Samurott over Hisuian Samurott,
    -Galarian Mr. Mime over Kantonian Mr. Mime (sheesh),
    -Unovan Lilligant over Hisuian Lilligant,
    -Hisuian Braviary over Unovan Braviary,
    -Kalosian Sliggoo and Goodra over their Hisuian counterparts,
    -Kalosian Avalugg over Hisuian Avalugg.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Froslass >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Glalie
    Froslass is my all-time favorite so Glalie has nothing to do against that.
    It's Ghost, which is my favorite type. It's also a fast Ice type (which isn't a common thing) that can laugh at the so typical in-game Dragon bosses. It has an amazing design (imo, of course this is allways subjective). I had it in several playthroughs and it was allways very helpful so I have great memories with it. I also like that it's one of those Pokémon that can be amazing without having amazing stats or anything extraordinary.

Alolan Marowak > Marowak. Simply more interesting typing, and I like how it can potentially have access to no rekoil Flare Blitz, or an inmunity to Electric without being the Ground Marowak with Lightning Rod.

Glaceon > all the others. This is just a design prefference, it's my favorite looking eeveelution.

Hitmontop > Hitmonchan & Hitmonlee. Hitmontop is the only design I like in the whole Tyrogue line.

Decidueye = Decidueye. They're both awesome.

I don't have any strong prefferences about the others.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I personally would love to see more pokemon with branched evolutions, as well as another eeveelution that is steel, poison, or bug. I tend to think the best branches are the ones that change up how a pokemon plays. Frostlass and Glalie come to mind as Frostlass is fast and part ghost, while Glalie has the moody ability and a mega. Hitmonlee is faster with higher attack, but Hitmonchan has the elemental punches and better coverage (though I much prefer Hitmonlee). Gallade is a physical fighter while Gardevoir is a special fighter, and I prefer Gallade due to its design and psychic/fighting type.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Likes branched evolutions being present. Adds character to evolution mechanics.

Points to the eeveelutions as a general favorite branched evolution. Offers lots of good choices. Allows a lot of flexibility.

For head-to-head match-ups:
    • Bellossom >> Vileplume. Improved so much.
    • Flapple >> Appletun. Uses the apple significantly better.
    • Froslass >> Glalie. Does not care much for Ice Graveler.
    • Politoed > Poliwrath. More interesting than "Poliwhirl, but angrier". Has more of a frog vibe than the other Polies.
    • Scizor > Kleavor. For the face.
    • Espeon > Glaceon > the rest. Designed all of them well, to be clear.
    • Hitmontop = Hitmonchan > Hitmonlee. Keep Hitmontop on its head, though. Drops down to Hitmonlee otherwise.
    • Gallade > Gardevoir. Sorry, not sorry.
    • Ninjask > Shedinja. Less gimicky and more interesting colors.
    • Gorebyss > Huntail. Characterizes Huntail as losing more than anything.
    • Mothim > Wormadam. More interesting looking.
    • Midnight > Midday = Dusk Lycanrocs. Likes the werewolf vibe more than the wolf one.

Holds no strong opinion on which evolution for the rest.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Vileplume to Bellossom because I have a shiny Vileplume.

Politoed to Poliwrath because it's design is much different than Poliwhril's unlike Poliwrath which is just Poliwhirl, but bigger and angry.

I like both Slowbro and Slowking, so I have no preference towards either, tbh. Used both, and love both.

Scizor over Kleavor. Red > brown.

I like all the Eevee evolutions, so skipping that one.

From the Hitmons, I've always preferred Hitmontop and Hitmonchan over Hitmonlee.

Both Beautifly and Dustox are great in their own ways and it's hard to pick one over the other.

Same with Gardevoir and Gallade.

Why is Nincada on the branched evolution page? I honestly do not consider Shedinja an "evolution" of Nincada that's so weird, it's just a discarded shell of the Nincada, not an evolution...anyway.

Froslass is cool, but I do find Glalie interesting because it's probably base off a yokai, but Froslass is leagues better than it. Glalie is just a scary face, if I'm being honest.

Gorebyss over Huntail. I don't have much to say about this, though, to be honest?

Mothim over Wormadam. But, that's probably what most people say.

Don't have a particular favorite Lycanrock form.

Or final evolution for Cosmog, tbh.

Appletun is better than Flapple, just in my opinion.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Vileplume > Bellossom – Vileplume is just simply much better, hits harder, and its part Poison-type, which makes it able to check Fairy-type Pokémon better. Bellossom doesn't even look like it should even be in the Oddish family.

Poliwrath > Politoed – Despite the fact that I love Politoed's design and the fact that Poliwag was able to finally become a full-grown frog, I'm sorry but Poliwrath is miles better than Politoed. Poliwrath is simply amazing, no question. With the ability Swift Swim, the ability to learn Belly Drum, and STAB moves such as Liquidation in the Rain and Drain Punch to recover health, Poliwrath is an offensive powerhouse that can outspeed almost anything and sweep whole teams. Politoed is only good for setting Rain and is the worst Pokémon for doing that as Pelipper outshines it. It can pivot with U-Turn and get STAB 100% accurate Hurricane in the Rain that it sets itself, something Politoed can't do.

Slowbro > Slowking – In terms of species, they're not really that different at all. It's just that Slowking has higher Special Defense. Thus, both are good Pokémon, but I personally before Slowbro because it evolves easier. I don't have to trade it with an item like Slowking. In terms of the Galar form, again, Slowbro is better. Its Quickdraw ability is just awesome, hands down.

Exeggutor > Alolan Exeggutor – I always hated they did with Alolan Exeggutor. In fact, it's one of the main reasons I hate regional variants with a burning passion. They just stretched its neck and made it look like a joke. I hate that design so much.

Marowak > Alolan Marowak – I definitely prefer the original over the Alolan version. Give it a Thick Club on a Trick Room team and it can do damage. I just don't like regional variants. They're the worst thing in Pokémon.

Weezing > Galarian Weezing – They gave Galarian Weezing a top hat and a mustache, making him look really stupid and I don't even care if it got the Fairy-tying. I love the original though!

Scizor ≠ Kleavor – I love Scizor, but I never had the chance to use Kleavor yet, so I can't tell you which one I like better now, but when I do, I will return and edit this post.

Sylveon over all the other Eeveelutions – I love the Eeveelutions, don't get me wrong, and Umbreon is a close second, but Sylveon is a Pokémon that I had the most success with and was very happy to raise when I started playing the later generations of Pokémon.

Typhlosion > Hisuian Typhlosion – Again, another terrible regional variant design. Game Freak, please stop it with this. Regional variants are horrible.

Decidueye > Hisuian Decidueye – I love Decidueye. I picked Rowlet in gen 7 and loved every single bit of it. Hisuian Decideueye is an abomination.

Samurott < Hisuian Samurott – Ok, I might sound crazy now since I spent a lot of time trashing regional variants, but what more can I say? I actually love Hisuian Samurott. I love the design and better typing. They actually made it better than the original. While I still hate regional variants, Game Freak, you did a good job with this one.

Raichu > Alolan Raichu – As cute as I think Alolan Raichu is and love its Psychic-typing, nothing is better than the original to me. I have lots of love for Raichu, which is super cute too and very underrated.

Hitmonchan > Hitmonlee > Hitmontop – Even though I love all the Hitmon family, I prefer them in that order. Hitmonchan is so good with its Iron Fist ability while holding an Expert Belt, especially after an Attack boost. Using Drain Punch for STAB and recovery, and other elemental punches for coverage, Hitmonchan is so fun to use. I was very happy to raise mine in gen 5! Hitmonlee is great as well for sweeping and Hitmontop is great for lowering Attack with Intimidate, but Hitmonchan wins the title belt here.

Beautifly > Dustox – It has more offensive stats, which leans more to my own play-style.

Gardevoir > Gallade – Gardevoir is simply one of my all-time favorites. It has a better typing and better design. Gallade is very useful for catching Pokémon though, so I don't dislike him at all. I like them both, Gardevoir easily takes the cake here. Gardevoir also has a much better design. She looks like an elegant fairy ballroom dancer while Gallade looks like he has a beer belly.

Ninjask > Shedinja – I love both, but I value Ninjask for being such a great physical Baton Passer with Speed Boost and Swords Dance. Shedinja is great for trolling players, but it has to be done right.

Froslass > Glalie – She is better for sweeping, though I like them both.

Gorebyss > Huntail – I never really cared much for either of these Pokémon, but if I had to choose, I would choose Gorebyss because of its better design.

Mothim > Wormadam and all its forms – Mothim has moves that correspond more to how I prefer to battle, but either way, I really don't care much for any of them.

Mr. Rime > Mr. Mime – Mr. Rime is just a better Pokémon in my opinion. I was never a fan of Mr. Mime.

Liligant ≠ Hisuian Liligant – I didn't get that far in Pokémon Legends: Arceus yet to determine what I like better yet, but when I do, I will edit this with my updated answer.

Braviary ≠ Hisuian Braviary – Same as above

Goodra ≠ Hisuian Goodra – Same as above

Avalugg ≠ Hisuian Avalugg – Same as above

Dusk Lycanroc > All other forms – Has stats that suit my battle style more

Lunala = Solgaleo – I love both of these Pokémon so much to where I can't choose between them!

Flapple > Appletun – Flapple has stats that suit my battle style the most. Even though stall is necessary, especially in Singles, it's not my preferred way to play.

Low Key Toxtricity > Amped Toxiricity – It simply performs at its best as a special attacker, which its Low Key form makes happen.

Rapid Strike Style Urshifu > Single Strike Style Urshifu – Both are really good, but Rapid Strike seems to be better competitively. I picked Single Strike in my Sword playthrough, but I definitely plan on choosing Rapid Strike in Shield, which I also have.

Last edited:

SquirmyWorm064

I’m weird :>
    Years
  • Bellossom over Vileplume- Vileplume fits Oddish's evolution one, but I like Bellossom more

Politoed over Poliwrath- it's just cuter

Slowbro and Slowking are tied, I love 'em both

Scizor over Kleavor- Scizor has really cool pincers and Kleavor looks like an old grumpy man even though it's a rock bug

Hitmontop over the others, idk why, but I like its design better

Beautifly over Dustox- I really like Beautifly because if it's wings and everything

Gardevior over Gallade- I don't get how Kirlia is connected with Gallade because of his blades

Shedinja and Ninjask are equal, they are both cool bugs

Froslass over Glalie- both of their designs could've been better, but I don't like the fact that Glalie is just a head

Gorebyss over Huntail- it's cuter

Mothim over Wormadam- I love Burmy and Wormadam but Mothim has a way cooler design and is so cute

Midday form Lycanroc- I like it's lighter colors better than the other ones

Lunala over Solgaleo- Lunala I think is better because it's a moon/night themed bat even though Solgaleo has a really cool design

Flapple over Appletun- I like how Flapple looks like a bug, buts it's a dragon :/

Toxtricity amped over Toxtricity Low Key- I like the color scheme better than the Low Key version

Rapid strike over single strike- water type is better than dark

I did not add any of the regional evolutions (ex: Raichu/Alolan Raichu) because it's not really an evolution but it's a new form

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I've always been a little disappointed that branching evolutions aren't something they do more often, they're among one of the most creative ideas in the series to me. I love Gardevoir and Gallade! I was really happy to see Kleavor capitalize on this too! The core theme of Pokemon, to me, growth and potential - and I'm really a believer that you have tons of things you can grow into. It also often gets into some interesting biology stuff! Seeing what makes Politoed and Poliwrath different, etcetera. That stuff's just all really cool to me.

I agree that regional evolutions or situations like Persian & Perrserker are different from the main situation here, but I love those too! I just like the idea that there's many paths a Pokemon can take.

Back