• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building Your Pokémon Team

Do you keep your starter pokémon in your party throughout the entire game?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • How do you guys decide what pokémon you want in your team, and how do you get them into your game?
    Do you decide based on looks? type? just whatever you catch first? do you build a team in a previously completed game and link them over? do you prefer pokemon with long evolutionary lines? do you breed perfect IVs into your pokemon before starting them into your new game?

personally, i like to stick with my starter throughout the game and have varying types- at least of the basic types. what do you guys think?​

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I usually go about by planning my team before hand and then figuring out what stages of the game they're available from. I try to cover a different type for each member and avoid multiple of the same types of possible.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I pick a Pokemon, try to build a core around it, that covers its weaknesses, add support including hazard removal and status absorbing and stuff that can cover as many threats as possible and after a couple weeks, I might, or might not have a team ready to battle.

If we're talking about ingame: I just pick six random Pokemon and restrict myself to only use those (including HM usage).

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I try to cover as many weaknesses as possible, but mostly it depends on the region and what Pokemon they have in it. I try to use Pokemon I like and to have all different typing. I also try to have my entire team be available before the fifth or sixth gym if I can help it. I think there's only one instance where I didn't use my starter Pokemon because I knew we were getting another starter Pokemon later in the game.

I do my best to build a solid team, especially ones that can defeat the Elite Four with ease.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • Generally I go by the following criteria, loosely in order of priority...

1. How much I like the Pokemon overall. If it's one of my favorites, it PROBABLY gets a spot.
    2. Type coverage; how much does this Pokemon cover my team's type needs?
    3. Competitive usefulness. I don't care if something is great, I just don't want it to be abysmal.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I always try to pick Pokémon of different types(at least Basic types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric I considered them basic types) which covers my Pokémon weakness and give me a wonderful start in the games. Also, it will increase my chances to win a certain type of Battle. I try to do my best to create best Pokémon team.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I always try to pick Pokémon of different types(at least Basic types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric I considered them basic types) which covers my Pokémon weakness and give me a wonderful start in the games. Also, it will increase my chances to win a certain type of Battle. I try to do my best to create best Pokémon team.

Similar here, basic types are necessary: Fire-types handle the Steel and status spammers like Grass-type, Water-types can learn Ice moves and they can slay Dragons or even counter Grass-types, while Grass-type can fend off the weaknesses of Fire-types. Electric moves come in handy for Flying-types and Water-types opponents, which are common in-game. Just like Blue, I plan my team before hand.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I normally use my favorites, but I'll occasionally try to make use of Pokemon that I've never used before or that I commonly overlook. I normally don't worry about type balancing or having the strongest team possible, since none of the games are difficult enough that I ever need to.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I usually pick Pokémon that I like! But if I have used that Pokémon to many times in different games I just pick another, I like to diversify! I always try to have Pokémon with 2-types, and try to not have Pokémon with the same types in my team! Then I can have a team with at max 12 types!
    In my team there is always a Fire, Water, Grass and Flying type Pokémon(always trying my best to have Pokémon with 2-types!), for me it's essencial!
    Then for the next Pokémons I usually go or for design or for a type that I usually don't use!
    I always stick with my starter ^^

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I wind up using Pokémon that I've previously had success with in terms of battling.

One of these Pokémon would be Breloom. I wasn't such a huge fan when I was first introduced to it in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, but eventually, as time moved forward, I started giving the Pokémon more of a chance, and it did not cease to impress! Thanks to the variety of moves Breloom has in its arsenal, it's easy to utilize.

As for Pokémon that are new, I don't mind trying them at all, but it might take a little while to get used to them, find out what their strength and weaknesses are, and so forth.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to my Pokemon teams in a brand new game, this is the order I do it:
    1. Think of a theme for the nicknames of the team members.
    2. Decide on names that are under chosen theme
    3. Decide which game version to get
    4. After looking at the list of Pokemon, decide who to have.
    5. Have the leader of my team be my starter.

Years
  • It's a mix of things like how useful they'll be and how many different types I got covered. I try not to be weak to 1-2 types for the whole team so I can keep it all diverse and switch if I need to.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I just play along and catch any Pokemon that I feel like using. Never plan it beforehand. End up changing between Pokemon a lot and it's fun.

I never use my starters anymore either.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i always keep my starter for the playthrough, cause i'd feel bad boxing it. that does end up limiting my options for my team though, as like many others i can't stand having several of the same type.
    i pick my Pokémon based on looks mostly. i like quirky mons best, but also had to stop using some because they just couldn't keep up with the rest of my team stat-wise. Spinda and Castform for example i had to switch back out playing through RSE x:

Years
  • While I'm playing through the story, I usually pick my favorites but tend to balance my team out. After I beat the Elite 4 however, I usually start breeding to create balanced teams to use online, with a mix of my favorites :3

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Honestly I don't really care about in-game as long as it has brute force. I once used 3 ground-types in sinnoh complete with surf garchomp and thus no water-types.

Berserkers

Kaboom.
    Years
  • I tend to use Pokémon that I think are cute or cool, while making sure I'm not repeating any typings for good coverage. I also try not to use any Pokémon that were on my team during any of my playthroughs of the other games.
    And yes, I always use my starter. xD

Years
  • I usually do keep my starter if I can. In most -Lockes i've done (including all four in 2014) my starter has lived through the whole game. I do try to get close to them in whatever ways I can. But sometimes in challenges where I can have more variety, that's when i'm most likely to leave it behind.

Years
  • I mainly tend to consider movepools, type weaknesses and also design in terms of the Pokemon I use on my team. I tend to have the starter serve as the team leader because they are your first Pokemon as well. No nicknames though, because I'm too lazy to think of them.

Back