• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buyers Guilt?

Years
    Does anyone experience this? I can't help but feel guilty when I spend money, regardless of what it's on or who it's for. It gets worse depending on the cost of the object, the more expensive the more guilty I feel. I eventually get over it, but it just stays with me for awhile.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    Hmmm yeah I do sometimes. I used to feel it after I'd splurge on buying albums from a certain group a few years ago. I also feel it on large purchases I make with my own money. In the end though I always get over it and enjoy whatever it is I bought.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I spent $40 one time on Dead or Alive 5 DLC. I still regret it to this day. I thought it would unlock everyone's costumes that I'd have to unlock myself but it turned out to be 81 extra costumes I didn't really care for. Curse you non-refundable PSN items!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    The worst buyer's guilt I think I ever had was when my boyfriend and I took a trip to NYC and decided to check out the Discovery Museum when they had the Body Worlds: Pulse exhibit. It was an exhibit about anatomy and the displays were preserved human bodies, without skin, to showcase muscles and just basic anatomy and such.

I had reservations about going to see it because I'm really faint-hearted with that material, but my boyfriend really wanted to go and I was kinda curious. I paid $30 per ticket for us, so $60 total, went in, and couldn't make it past the first room without feeling light-headed, nauseous, and dizzy. My boyfriend walked me through the exhibit (it was a one-way thing...) and I had to wait in the gift shop while he went back and hurried through it. So, $60 down the drain as it made me feel sick to my stomach and he felt bad so he rushed through it. No refunds available, either.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Yeah I just spent $42 on toothpaste, so I feel the remorse all the time. Doesn't help that I have stuff I should be saving for and I'm not.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Ugh so much. Instead of spending money on collectibles like plushies and shit, I would spend it on paying my bills in advance or investing it in something more useful. But...I can't help it. It's the uuuuuuurge. I'm such a shopoholic.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
    Yup, all the time. Sometimes I have to try to convince myself that it's ok to buy gas so I can drive to work and make more money.

Years
    Rarely do I ever feel buyer's remorse, but it's the main reason that I haven't gotten myself a PS4 yet. Sure, I know that I'll put it to good use, but I also know that I could be spending that money more wisely on other things (like, y'know, rent, food, etc.), so I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I know that once I do though, I'll probably feel bad about it for a few months.

pkmin3033

It depends on what it is and how much it costs. If I spend a lot of money over a short space of time and suddenly notice the impact it's had on my bank balance I might feel a twinge of guilt and regret, and it might stop me from buying anything else I really want for a little while, but it's usually a fleeting feeling for me.

I think the worst buyer's guilt I had was when I upgraded my standard Xbox360 for a slim one...I didn't need to, I just wanted to. I only sold the thing after about six months anyway; I hardly played it and I wanted a PS Vita.

If I want it and I can afford it, I get it. I just try to make the distinction between "want" and "would like" a little finer, so I don't experience this. It's even more awkward returning something, after all. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Nah, not often, unless I but sweets xD

One occasion when I really felt buyer's remorse though, was with my new computer. It's lovely, but it cost too much and I should have waited or bought a different one. Too late now. *plays games*

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I only feel this when I buy stupidly for myself. For others I tend to feel guilty the less I buy.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    No, not at all. What's enjoyable about purchases for me is planning for them as opposed to actually buying them, so the clicking of buttons online and the receiving of packages is simply the release of oh-so-enjoyable anticipation for me.

Seldom I will make an impulsive purchase and end up paying too much in shipping or something which I inevitably regret, but that doesn't happen too often at all and isn't really to do with guilt per sé. So I don't get that.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    Meh, I experience buyer's guilt all the time. Games, food, even necessities sometimes. I can't help it. ;-; I always end up thinking "what if I could have found that somewhere else cheaper?" or "what if I didn't REALLY need that?"

For a while there I was eating out a lot which was throwing a lot of money down the drain. Me and my fiance were both working a lot so neither of us were really having a whole lot of time to cook, set aside time from grocery shopping and meal planning, etc. The typical excuses. I've gotten a bit better at it. It's just so unhealthy and such a money waster, and we're trying to save up for so much right now (tuition, wedding, general house repairs) that it's just not worth being lazy about anymore.

I think my problem is that I'm so compulsive. I'll make split second decisions to either hoard money or spend it, I act way too much on poorly thought out decisions. I go from "idk dude I can live without food for a few days" to "I NEED this $150 pillow right now" fricking real quick. I'm trying to mature in that area. ;-;

Platina Berlitz

Pure bliss
    Years
    I don't normally, unless it's near someone's birthday or a holiday when I'm basically like ¨hmm, _____ is coming up, so...I should be buying for _____¨ or if I buy anything over 30$ that I don't absolutely need

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    Depends is it my money or someone elses? :p
    If its mine then yes im like whyd i buy this? And then oh ya i spent a lot of money on that now its ruined..... -cries-

Lol its pretty bad for me and if its buying for someone then its worse I'll be like MY MONEY WHERE DID YOU GO! Unless its someone i truly care about other times i do donate my money to several places and thats the times i dont feel guilty :p

Years
    I definitely get buyer's guilt terribly whenever it comes to spending on myself at all. Even just a couple bucks.
    Yet I can easily splurge and buy a ton of stuff for others. I don't know what my deal is.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I did a month or so ago when I bought a PS4 which basically drained my bank account. In general though, not reallllly? It depends if I enjoy/use extensively/need what I purchase. If neither of those things are fulfilled I usually do suffer from buyers guilt, yeah.

Back