• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can you recognize Pokémon by their in-game cries?

Years
    If you were to take a test quizzing you on Pokémon and their cries, how well do you think you'd do? Would you recognize some/many/most of them? Do you feel like there are certain gen cries you'd recognize more than others (for example, knowing the gen I cries more than gen II)?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Poorly. May or may not be very easy to mix up Pokemon within an evolutionary line. Struggles with names of middle evolution Pokemon as-is. Hammers that weakness harder. Bets on a quiz consisting solely of baby Pokemon being a nightmare too.

Might fare better with Generation 1. Were the Pokemon cries louder then? Or, alternatively, was the battle music relatively quieter?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    Only a few, since I rarely play with sound. Ho-Oh is the most recognizable cry for me, but I think I could also ID Jynx, Electabuzz, Mew, Hoothoot, Miltank, Kricketot, Kricketune, Lopunny, Chatot, Leafeon, Froslass, Shaymin (Land), and Wooloo.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I can recognize quite a few, probably around a quarter of the existing Pokémon. Some are so recognizable that the Pokémon immediatly comes to mind when hearing the cry.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    While I can name almost every pokemon by memory, I have never really learned the cries. I could probably name a few, but pretty sure it wouldn't be any good at most. I sometimes try to challenge myself when I do random encounters to see if I can guess a pokemon by the cry and I am almost always wrong.

Years
    I think I'd start getting confused from Kalos onwards. Not sure why, I played Kalos and most other main series games to death, so I feel like I should remember them well enough, but for some reason my memory at that point became rather selective. I should take a quiz on Kalos cries and see how many I can actually get. >_>;

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Nidoqueen and Lapras cries sounds bit similar if you think about it, it's the distant tone or it's just me finding it out now. There are other pokemon with similar cries that almost the same as the other one that I mentioned like pulse or minun for example

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    Until Gen 3 I could recognize every pokemon by their cries because I used to spend a lot of time in the pokedex see the pokemon one by one

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I was pretty good at it until gen 5, where all the gen 5 Pokemon sounded like variations of the same squeak for the most part. Then gen 6 really altered a lot of the older generation Pokemon cries, ex. Kyogre went from sounded like an intimidating sea beast to a fart. From then on I haven't really paid much attention at all to the cries, except for some of the really distinct ones like Jynx.

UnvoicedUnveiled

Unvoiced Unveiled
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2022
    I'd get very few right, normally I play with my sound off and watch YouTube or TV instead. I know I'd recognize cries like Popplio's, Primarina, and Delphox, though, since I've heard them a lot.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    my sister and i used to play a game where we would pull up a random pokemon in the dex and the other would have to guess the cry. so i have gen 1-4 down pretty well from that aha. although now that they changed the sounds of the cries in gen 6, they're a little harder to guess. some of them just sound really muddied and unrecognizable from their original cries and they kind of lost their charm. so i can't rly do it anymore but give me an original cry from earlier games and i'm a pro.

Years
    It would depend on the generation. Anything before gen VI I think I would do alright in, besides maybe differentiating between ones that sound similar like Charizard/Rhyhorn or Caterpie/Goldeen — I used to spend time scrolling through my PokeDex and just listening to cries.

Most cries were remixed after gen VI were reworked so I think I would do significantly worse there.

Years
    i feel like i would do terribly on this lol

i think most cries would be recognizable to me but as cries are never something i've paid a whole lot of attention to, i... honestly don't think, if quizzed on cries alone, that i could do it.

Back