• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changing your name after marriage

Years
  • I'd probably change it. I'm not too attached to my last name, it's really common. Ultimately though I think it's something I'd discuss with my partner -- if they wanted something else I wouldn't be upset about it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Where I live , the woman usually takes the spouse's last name. So my wife would be the one to change her last name to mine , but if it were the opposite I'd probably change it for her. I don't think my last name would look too good double barreled.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Just a short description...

In my country among most Chinese, a woman can choose to change their surname/family name to match her husband. For example, Linda Ng marries Andrew Lee (both are not real people). Linda would change her surname from Ng to Lee, and therefore becomes Linda Lee. She can be still known as Linda Ng, but to keep it simpler for other people, she takes her husband's surname and becomes Mrs. Lee instead of Mrs. Ng.

...uh, do I make any sense you y'all? xD

Anyways, sure. I'll take my future husband's surname, no problem with that. I would still want to be known with my own surname though. I'd feel quite weird without it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I probably wouldn't in all honesty. Rahman, imo, is a fairly decent last name, despite how common it is. IF the two names hyphenated sounds somewhat nice, I might consider it, but if not, then I'm keeping my last name. Sorry hun <3

Evanlyn

Kidneys! I've got new kidneys!
    Years
  • Hmm.. never really thought about it!
    But I've grown up with all the women changing their names to their husband's name, and I'll just do that if/when I get married - nice and simple :)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'm honestly not that bothered, but I'd rather not hyphenate if I can help it. If a potential wife wants to change her surname to mine, great. If she doesn't, that's also great. If she wants me to change my last name to hers... sure, why not? It's just a name, after all: it's not my personality's going to change after marriage. (Cue 1,000 hacky sitcom jokes about that's exactly what marriage is llike! :D)

Years
  • I wouldn't mind what happens, I suppose if my partner would want something particular then I'd just go along.

I suppose hyphenating would be cool, make my name just a little bit more unique than it is anyway.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • My name is already hypenated. I hyphenated hyphenated name would be crude!

Though I'd probably just take one side of my name (probably from my dad's side, even though my mother's last name - "Knicely" - is nicer-looking) and hyphenate it with my man's to make a new hyphenated name.

Normally I'd say I'd take the man's name, but recent events in my life have changed my perception to "screw the man" :\

Years
  • I hate hyphenated last names. They're not as bad as non-hyphenated double names that lots of people from Latin American backgrounds have since with those you're not always quite sure if someone is giving you their middle name or the first of their two last names, or if they're using only their first last name or their second last name, or if they're on record one way and not the same way somewhere else. (This comes up a lot where I work.) So... yeah. I think it's fine for both people to keep their names as they are unless they want to change them.

Years
  • My boyfriend and I have been discussing what we'd do if we ever actually got married. We're thinking about discarding both of our last names and choosing something else. I mean, neither of us want to do the hyphenated thing. That's just way too much work.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I would just take my spouse's last name. I've had my name with my boyfriend's last name as my Skype name for like two years now anyway :b

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    My boyfriend and I have been discussing what we'd do if we ever actually got married. We're thinking about discarding both of our last names and choosing something else. I mean, neither of us want to do the hyphenated thing. That's just way too much work.

IM LAUGHING SO HARD
    YOUR MIDDLE NAME HAS A HYPHEN TOO
    YOU NEED TO HYPHENATE YOUR LAST NAME AS WELL

If/when I get married, I'll take his name if it sounds better than my last name. I like Pierre, but if I'm going to spend the rest of my life with this guy then I'm going to get the best bloody deal possible.
    Though, if it were possible, I'd like to have the option to change my first name in the marriage, lol. Change it to something less reminiscent of a character from A.A Milne's classic children's story Winnie the Pooh.

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
    Years
  • I'm way to proud of my identity and name to change it.
    I doubt I'll get married, but if I do my husband will either have to change his name to mine or we'd have to keep our own names.
    My friend decided that she and her daughters will have her last name, and her husband and sons will have his. Seems simple enough for a couple who want to keep their own names. (I suppose it would be different for homosexual couples, you'd just have to decide there.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm not a huge fan of my own last name, but I like my partner's even less xD So I'm not looking forward to the day when we'll bring this up because when we have touched the subject before, we have clearly had different opinions, hahah.....

Merging them would be kind of weird. I'd rather take a completely new one, or maybe an older one from some historical relatives.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Whilst I don't like the thought of giving up my last name, I prefer the thought of taking his! My last name's pretty awful anyway so I don't really mind losing it, and it feels like there's something really romantic about taking someone's name haha. Plus I've already been told I am :D

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I wish to do whatever goes with my name the best. A little selfish perhaps but I really like how my whole name sounds and if I am going to change it I would want it to be just as great or even greater if possible. But if it doesn't sound right or I don't like it then I would want to keep my last name. Liking my name is more important than love I guess.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2013
    I personally wouldn't expect my girlfriend to change her last name when we get married, but then again, she actually wants my last name, so no discussion needed ;)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I hate my last name. It's my father's and I have issues with him and would be happy to change my name right now to my mother's maiden name. Unfortunately, her family is equally as insane. So I'm just leaving it as it is, and changing it whenever I get married.

Back