• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl] Chibi style - thoughts?

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
Years
  • Can I be real a second?

Imo the best 3d style for Pokémon overworld is XY. Had they simply upgraded that style to make it look more clean and polished, I think newer games would look much better.

Having said that, I'm really neutral on the chibi style.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • The only real thing that bother me are the character's arms/hands...lol. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to see a bigger scaled Sinnoh, but given that Gamefreak is sourcing this one out, I'm okay with what we're getting.

Years
    • Seen today
    Overall, I like the style, especially the overworld itself, I don't mind the smol Dawn, but I'm really not a fan of how Lucas looks in this style.

Years
  • Horrible! 🤮
    I'll admit it: I'm not a fan of this type of art. Quite frankly I think that they should've make it as sword and shield style because let's be honest, this game will be very very similar to the original not only in the representation of the world, but even in the story, so why should I buy a "little better version" of pokemon platinum especially when they will probably sell to you at full price just like a brand new game??

The Nintendo Switch is a powerful console capable of great things, so why using obsolete graphics?? Someone could say that thanks to that some things like the dungeons will be maze-like once more instead of big rooms full of wild pokemon like it was in sword and shield, but I don't agree because I cannot believe that Game Freak doesn't have or can't hire people able to do a Mt. Coronet with 3d assets, instead I think that as always they impose themselves short time to propely develop a game before the release and that's the result. 😪

Btw this kind of art doesn't explain why they are continuing to use only a single type of tree with just three shades of green or why the water is so ugly, animal crossing for axamble as a similar graphics, but the assets doesn't look so ugly or obsolete. 🙁

Sorry guys for this little outburst, but I'm a long time fan and I'm very disappointed about that.😣

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think it's quite cute! It gives me the sprite vibes from PPD which I'm down for!

I do think it's a little strange though that they decided to go with this type of style for a main game, but I'm not really complaining lol!
    I was a bit unsure at first seeing the characters, but the more I look at it the more I see a connection to the originals. It seems like this was a purposeful choice to stay as close to the original games as possible stylistically, and it does give off that feeling too. Looks like the original DP but with 3D graphics. Not quite as charming as Link's Awakening, but still cute!
    I have a feeling that they went this style on purpose to increase the contrast between it and the more serious looking Arceus game.

I hated it in XY and ORAS, I hated that they returned to it with LGPE and I hate it now. It doesn't look good or at least cute. It somehow looks worse than in previous games. Biggest turned off from the games so far.
    I think it was perfectly fine in gen 6 honestly! It was a really nice evolution from Gen 4 and 5 imo, not too drastic despite the increasingly 3D-esque world. Gen 6 has my fav style, actually.

Now, LGPE took it a bit too far... too cutesy. But I do think that game was aimed at a different crowd, sorta? It sneaked Pokémon GO mechanics in, as well. It makes sense that hardcore oldschool pokémon fans would feel a bit weirded out by it. As I did.

Now, BDSP's style... It's a bit too LGPE-esque + even worse imo. I'm sorry but I don't really like it haha. The originals might have sort of looked like this? But with a different feeling to it; semi 2D is very different from full 3D. Or what you wanna call the Gen 4 style. I think they could have gone slightly more ORAS-ish for these remakes.

Meh... I'm not a huge fan but I think it'll grow on me. I would've preferred an ORAS-esque art style (that might be my favorite), but I get why they're changing it up for the Switch.
    Haha, exactly! It was really nice.

I'm absolutely fine with it. Honestly this is the direction that Pokemon should have gone in with Sword and Shield; the more cutesy style and brighter visuals are more in-line with the tone and inclusive nature of the series than the gritty shit that we had to endure with Gen VIII's flagship titles. The character models are a little jarring, but I have always preferred sprites to 3D models and this seems like as good of a compromise as we're going to get.
    Gen VII and VIII did stray a bit too far from the original feel of the series, I agree. But BDSP's leap back to uber chibi is a bit jarring imo ahah.

pkmin3033

Gen VII and VIII did stray a bit too far from the original feel of the series, I agree. But BDSP's leap back to uber chibi is a bit jarring imo ahah.
    Do you think that's because expectations have shifted to expect a more detailed visual style, or because of the chibi style itself? :o

It's interesting because the reaction to the chibi style in some corners - on Youtube especially - has reminded me of the reaction to Wind Waker's cel-shaded style, and I'm wondering if time will prove to make this, if not more popular, then at least as popular as the direction Legends is heading towards in the long run. It's rough around the edges a bit (those hands, good lord) but as a visual style I imagine it's easier to make that look good than it is the more "realistic" style in SnS/Legends...and when the games share the same Pokemon models, it's even more jarring. xD

Years
  • Do you folks think that this would be best played on the switch screen than on a tv screen with these graphics?

I am asking this as I think it might be a better portable experience than playing on a big screen. I do think this would be on topic hopefully.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I think they should have the overworld be like the style you go into when battles start. Another interesting thing would be if they stopped blacking out the screen and going into a battle screen whenever you enter a battle. Just have a battle start from the screen you're on. Also, make the Pokemon appear as their proper sizes in battle.

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • I was a bit unsure at first seeing the characters, but the more I look at it the more I see a connection to the originals. It seems like this was a purposeful choice to stay as close to the original games as possible stylistically, and it does give off that feeling too.

Exactly. This is what I was thinking 😄

Looks like the original DP but with 3D graphics. Not quite as charming as Link's Awakening, but still cute!

😄 I agree! It looks like a remake in the literal term.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2022
    It's a little hard to look at for the time being, mainly the hands. But, i expect to gradually start enjoying it more and more

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I...really have trouble gauging my feelings on it, but I think my final verdict is "would've greatly preferred a Sw/Sh style remake, even if it ended up with many of the same graphical flaws as those games; it'd be accurate to say I'm disappointed, but at the same time I don't completely hate it, the toylike quality of the whole thing makes me really happy to look at".

Like, this entire game looks like something you'd get in a box (which, I guess technically you do, but you know what I mean). Like a Sinnoh playset. I realize that this isn't exactly an objective, well-thought out critique, but it's just - so adorably fitting to see these plastic-toy vibes on a remake of a game that had li'l me going to Toys R Us for event Pokemon. :3

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Jun 4, 2021
    I don't like it, it looks ugly, and I don't see how people like it. The game manages to look worse than the original games and the Lets Go games. I see no point of buying the game since its just the same game just in 3d. Why buy it when I can either play the original gen 4 games on my 3ds or on an emulator? I could actually just play Platinum on an emulator.

Years
  • I don't like it, it looks ugly, and I don't see how people like it. The game manages to look worse than the original games and the Lets Go games. I see no point of buying the game since its just the same game just in 3d. Why buy it when I can either play the original gen 4 games on my 3ds or on an emulator? I could actually just play Platinum on an emulator.

Yeah, playing Platinum or even the original DP instead was one of the things I've seen a lot of people say. But at the same time not everyone has access or wants to emulate, and buying the original games officially is usually hard and expensive. Pokémon game prices never seem to go down that much over time. That and I really can't adjust to how slow the menus/battles go in gen IV. @_@

I do agree Let's Go looks nicer, wouldn't have minded if they stuck with that style long-term (with maybe some minor adjustments to the human models, but that's more of my preference). Respect your opinion in not liking this style. I'm more okay with it, but still think it would look so much better with a bit of blur and lighting changes.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I just think the "why not play the originals" sentiment is way, way premature - aside from one casual use of the word faithful, we still have no idea how much is going to be changed or added.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I love the style personally. I think it's a great choice they've made. I think they were in way over their heads for the original DS system and DPPt could only barely deliver what they intended. This is how the games were intended to look and feel.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    ORAS was done in a linear art style and it's arguable the earlier generations deviated from the chibi style, too.

Expect that technology has advanced a lot since then. So, the games really should stick to the current technology instead of going back to the past.

Back