• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Delete a type from the Pokemon games forever

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't think that I'd seriously remove any type, but I kinda want to say Normal, just for fun to see what they'd do if the largest, vaguest type was suddenly removed

Years
    To be fair, the concept of having a "boss" type was ok for the first gens, when Pokémon was mainly a single player RPG adventure. But as the competitive fan-base expanded it just doesn't make sense having a type that's objetively the best. Besides, it would have been boring if in every gen the final trainer / champion was a Dragon user because Dragon is just the strongest type.

Blue, Steven, and Wallace were all great champions before fairy type came out and Cynthia only used one Dragon type.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
    I don't know that I'd delete it as that's quite extreme but I believe Normal to be the weakest and most useless type. Its sole strength is its immunity to Ghost but with Dark types, that's not very valuable.
    Rather than remove the type, I think I'd make it super effective to Fairy types. It would be brilliantly symbolic of reality overpowering fantasy.

Combining Rock and Ground into something such as Earth type isn't a terrible idea since both are the same element and there is already overlap in move compatibility (most Ground-types can use Rock Slide or Rock Tomb and a lot of Rock types can use either Earthquake, Bulldoze or Drill Run). The one issue there is that the flying type match-up would get tricky since it's weak to rock but immune to ground.

at this point you might as well call it "bird type" since that's really how its been used.

MissingNo.'s secondary type is listed as 'Bird' which I believe suggests that the Flying-type was originally called Bird type. Not all Flying-types are birds so I believe Flying is the better label.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I'd remove the Fighting type because I find most to be ugly/redundant (thinking of you, Sawk/Throh/Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan/Hitmontop/Conkeldurr/Medicham and especially the musketeer trio/Keldeo). Pokemon that have Fighting as a second typing sometimes don't make sense to me (Lucario, Toxicroak, Poliwrath, how many fire starters now?).

I would give Normal type the effectiveness over Dark, remove Fighting entirely, and call it a day.

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
    Got to agree, while Rock and Ground merging together would objectively be in my opinion one of the better choices if it ever happened, I like the idea of Normal type being removed even more.

Mainly because of every type I've always been the most disappointed in it's generic boringness, and the fact that Pokemon like Pyroar exist as a Fire/Normal is outright annoying to me. I'd much rather see what they'd have to do after that type is stripped away.

Also I think we have enough types as it is, if a type did get removed I wouldn't want to see another one added instead.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    erase bug and end its suffering

In all honesty, I find it really weird that Bug is a type at all. Most other types obviously correspond to certain elements, so that they can be applied to both moves and Pokémon, while Bug is just...Bug? Sure, Bug-type Pokémon make sense, as well as giving them weaknesses and resistances other types don't have, but... Bug-type moves feel a little unintuitive, and it's not like Bug is an offensively great type either. Like, what would change, really, if Bug was removed as a type? Grass gets one less weakness (thank god), types that already resist Bug aren't affected much, Fire and Rock remain offensively potent types (and Stealth Rock isn't that unbearable anymore, though maybe you could buff Flying, idk), and Psychic and Dark still have other weaknesses to worry about, so it's not like removing Bug would shake up the metagame that horribly, especially since it's not that competitively popular a type.

Last edited:

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
    I'd keep Normal, Bug and Ice type as offensive-moves only, seems they're so useless defensively, I really feel for the Pokemon who have it and remain defenseless lol.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm in the merge Rock/Ground type camp. Also feel kinda similar about Ice/Water for the same principle - they're just.. practically the same. Bug I don't mind, but I can also see an argument for it being replaced with Poison.

Years
    fairy. It's actually one of my fav types, but tbh the fact that is super effective to dragon kinda made the dragon type loose its importance, which is actually huge especially when it comes to lore. I mean, fairy type is the new dragon type. Indeed new legendaries are almost all fairy type. Before, this happened with dragons. it's just weird that fairy type can be stronger than the type of the strongest pokemons.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
    I find ice really bland. don't get me wrong, I adore both winter and the cold, but ice as a type just doesn't stand out. there are no moves too great, they aren't too common before later in the game, they make no significant changes in the type chart and almost all famous ice types have a second typing which people associate more with the mon (e.g. lapras and spheal = water, sneasel = dark, swinub = ground, froslass = ghost etc. etc.)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Fighting is fine but it is not limited to martials arts but also natural fighting so it can take over most of normal attacks. Sing is psychic and so are most of the other non-damaging normal move. Tri-attack and Hyper beam are steel. And equally convert most normals to fighting. Normal is meaningless- how can pokemon be normal or do normal actions. If you realy want the immunities in the type chart, then fighting pokemon are immune to ghost attacks. Fighting attacks should be half effective against ghosts. I would switch a lot of the effectiveness for fighting- fighting should be effective againt fairy and psychic and weak against rock, ice. The whole type chart needs fixes.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    I'm in the merge Rock/Ground type camp. Also feel kinda similar about Ice/Water for the same principle - they're just.. practically the same. Bug I don't mind, but I can also see an argument for it being replaced with Poison.

One thing about the Rock/Ground merger is that not only is it similar from an elemental standpoint, but it's also similar from a gameplay standpoint too. The Rock-type and Ground-type aren't really that much different from each on offense and defense either. That's why when you put them together, not much changes on offense and they mostly just gain a bunch of double weaknesses.

As for me, I don't think I can say that I can delete a type in the game, but I do believe that the game could still thrive well without the Normal-type. It's just a completely neutral type that could use some sort of buff in some way.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Normal is meaningless- how can pokemon be normal or do normal actions.
    By being pretty much the Pokemon equivalent of animals. Most normal Pokémon are "[insert animal here] but a Pokémon" without any other quirks like "[animal] but ghost" or "[animal] or fire themed".

Normal is also useful as a Default type for attacks that don't fit anything else. Something like Covet, Boomburst, Encore or Camouflage wouldn't really fit as a lot of other types.

I would switch a lot of the effectiveness for fighting- fighting should be effective againt fairy and psychic and weak against rock, ice. The whole type chart needs fixes.
    Fighting is weak to psychic because the message is Brain over Brawns.
    Fighting is weak to fairy because in the myths, faeries (which are mostly magic users) beat the warriors.

Fighting is effective against Rock and Ice because strong fighters can break through rock and ice chunks with a blow. That's a fairly normal trope in (fantasy) martial arts media.
    While the type chart could use some fixes in general, those things in particular do have some sense to them.

Years
    • Seen today
    Fairy.

It's one of my favorite types. Yet if one has to go, I feel like it would be the easiest adjustment considering 5 generations without it have already existed.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
    Also I think we have enough types as it is, if a type did get removed I wouldn't want to see another one added instead.

I wouldn't mind adding new types. Fangames have come up with some interesting and sensible ones such as Light, Data, and Sound that added some solid range and I would love a witchcraft/occult-based type.

I find ice really bland. don't get me wrong, I adore both winter and the cold, but ice as a type just doesn't stand out. there are no moves too great, they aren't too common before later in the game, they make no significant changes in the type chart and almost all famous ice types have a second typing which people associate more with the mon (e.g. lapras and spheal = water, sneasel = dark, swinub = ground, froslass = ghost etc. etc.)

I concur. I have never found ice particularly useful because others cover their strengths with more efficient duality such how electric covers flying but also water and how fire covers grass but also bugs but the introduction of the Fairy type which edged out its most valuable strength with its immunity to Dragons has pretty solidly phased it out, the Spotify to Ice's CD player.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Covet, Boomburst, Encore or Camouflage could be dark.

Fighting is weak to psychic because the message is Brain over Brawns- both types are brains and brawn.

Back