• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Delete a type from the Pokemon games forever

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    You can remove one type from the Pokemon games forever. Which one would you remove and why?

I'd remove either Rock or Ground and just combine them into one type. I've never really seen the point of having both a rock and ground type.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    You can remove one type from the Pokemon games forever. Which one would you remove and why?

hmm, I don't think I can really imagine removing any type from pokemon, but I'll just say flying.

since elementally flying isn't really a "type" in itself, and many pokemon that can fly aren't even classified as flying type.

at this point you might as well call it "bird type" since that's really how its been used.

So I don't think much would be lost by removing flying as a type.

If someone wanted to adjust that they could just create a list of pokemon with the ability to sustain flight, and give them
    a heightened chance to avoid ground/land based attacks.

Which could be pretty interesting if done well, because then we're getting into qualities of the individual pokemon themselves instead of just a type effect,
    but I guess you can say that's just an extension of "abilities".

Years
    Agree on Rock and Ground. They were also the first ones that came on my mind. I see no reason for them to be separated, since they both seems half-baked right now, with Rock-type having almost no good special attack and Ground-type being basically reduced to Earthquake.

Years
    • Seen today
    If I had to, I would merge Rock and Steel into one type: the "Armored" type or something like that. Since they're both designed around a similar idea, being creatures/objects gifted with a solid and super hard body/armor/shell that gives them the highest physical defenses overall.

They both resist Normal, Flying, and Poison, and they both also have an advantage against Ice and Bug. Then they share weakness to Ground and Fighting.

Just make it neutral to Fire and Grass, tweak the type chart a bit averaging their other weaknesses, resistances, super effectives and not very effectives, and that's it, you wouldn't need two types to fit a very similar role. That would also solve the issue of Steel being a bit too OP while Rock being one of the weakest types. With Armored being neutral to Grass and Water, Amored-Ground types wouldn't have a 4x weakness to those types anymore, just a regular 2x instead.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Conceptually, I'd say Rock or Ground for the reasons mentioned above.

From a game perspective, I'd say remove Ice - it's not a very commonly used type, there's like 5 ice moves that people care about (Ice Shard, Icicicle Crash, Ice Beam, Blizzard and Aurora Veil), and they can be safely Dexited out of existence / have a Freeze-Dry type engine which makes them x2 on Grass, Flying and Dragon types.

pkmin3033

Goodbye and good riddance, fighting type. Because aesthetically speaking every single fighting-type Pokemon is absolute trash and the franchise would be better off without them.

Years
    i'd say ghost type and dark type could be together just one, maybe dark type could integrate ghost type, idk. i also don't really like bug type tbh

AMP017

Trans Sylveon Enjoyer
    Years
    I would probably remove bug, not even merge it just remove it completely. I just don't like bug. ALso rock should be with ground I don't get the speration.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Ground/Rock and these moves are too much with no variation and only have few special attack moves, while ground favor a lot with Earthquake

Ground-type moves are laughable amount of PP and power (Mud Slap), One-hit kill moves that are not guaranteed to one hit kill an opponent (Fissure), A moves that consider too RNG (Magnitude) what is worse ground kinda have no special attacking moves and too restrictive with being physical

I can't argue with Rock as only few moves that is Ancient Power and Power Gem as the rest of the movepool are purely physical and one good stats boosting moves but still do you want to teach a rock slide with your Aurorus? No! That's the point some of these move gets from the move tutor or thru breeding (i know some can learn at some level), but still

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Ground/Rock and these moves are too much with no variation and only have few special attack moves, while ground favor a lot with Earthquake

Ground-type moves are laughable amount of PP and power (Mud Slap), One-hit kill moves that are not guaranteed to one hit kill an opponent (Fissure),

I mean every OHKO move works the same way, its not like Fissure has some weird extra mechanic that makes it less reliable than the others.

speaking on that, they really did Ice Types dirty (AGAIN) in that regard, just looked up other one hit ko moves, and apparently sheer cold is the
    only one, that has an entirely separate type based accuracy calculation.

So sheer cold is hard enough to land, but then if you're not using an ice type pokemon the already low accuracy drops by 30% (meaning it drops 10% down to have accuracy of 20%)

like when will game freak stop raking ice types over the proverbial coals?!

Conceptually, I'd say Rock or Ground for the reasons mentioned above.

From a game perspective, I'd say remove Ice - it's not a very commonly used type, there's like 5 ice moves that people care about (Ice Shard, Icicicle Crash, Ice Beam, Blizzard and Aurora Veil), and they can be safely Dexited out of existence / have a Freeze-Dry type engine which makes them x2 on Grass, Flying and Dragon types.

I love Ice types, (think its their aesthetic and that I just love the cold, & the underdog I guess) so I really didn't want to say them, but the more I look into them the more it feels like gamefreak is really intentionally trying to sabotage them...

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    None to be honest, but if I had to choose, then possibly Rock, and then combine it with Ground, but in this way: the attacks that used to be Rock moves can now actually hit Flying creatures for double damage to differentiate it from things like Earthquake.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Like others the very first thing that came to mind was rock and ground. But having given it more thought maybe dragon. The type has always been an outlier to me

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
    Fairy Type.

it's just always felt like a weird type.
    At the time the internet seemed to be really yearning for Light Type, or Sound Type.
    So I suggest removing Fairy, and giving us Light, or Sound.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've had a lot of misconception about Rock and Ground types in the past. It took me a while to realize what was similar and what different about the two. So I understand why people are ok if they were combined/one of them removed.

I also think Poison is a weird type. How can you condense a Pokemon into just a single Poison type? It makes more sense for it to be of a different type, but with poisonous properties.

Years
    • Seen today
    Move pool-wise, Dragon is probably the most unnecessary type, as it's only 2x effective against Dragon themselves, and because many of these moves are very uninspired (Dragon Claw, Dragon Tail, Dual Chop, Twister, Dragon Rage) and are basically typed Dragon just for type diversity sake.

Rock and Ground, like others have already mentioned. I also really like the idea of combining Rock and Steel into an Armored type - that's a cool idea!

Otherwise, I'm honestly not sure. I've gotten very used to all the types at this point. Even Fairy, which seemed like the odd one out at first (probably because it was introduced so late into the series), has grown on me now!

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I agree with the rock/ground arguments. I would make this new type have a weakness to ice to buff ice types.

Maybe we could add sound in to replace one of the types...

Years
    Rock or fairy. Rock is just Steel and Grounds mistake of a love child and doesn't really add anything besides a lot of weaknesses and inaccurate moves. I am also not a huge fan of Fairy type as I don't like how hard it counters Dragon.

Maybe I would just change it to resist Dragon instead of the immunity. Dragon was made to be the ultimate typing and now there are Fairy types everywhere to just shut it down? Seems pretty damn lame to me.

Years
    • Seen today
    Dragon was made to be the ultimate typing and now there are Fairy types everywhere to just shut it down? Seems pretty damn lame to me.

To be fair, the concept of having a "boss" type was ok for the first gens, when Pokémon was mainly a single player RPG adventure. But as the competitive fan-base expanded it just doesn't make sense having a type that's objetively the best. Besides, it would have been boring if in every gen the final trainer / champion was a Dragon user because Dragon is just the strongest type.

Back