• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you get defensive of Pokémon?

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
    Being a Pokémon fan can be fun and has it's benifits, but when it comes to the losers who hate on Pokémon and say it's "gay" or "childish", do you get defensive? I used to get really defensive in 2008 and 2009 when I was right into Pokémon (still am into Pokémon), especially when people used to say it was "babyish" and "for five year olds" (a teacher actually said that once and I got really mad). I still defend Pokémon when it's needed, but not much anymore. How about you?

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2016
    Meh, I don't really anymore, because when people insult pokemon, it's usually someone just saying it's for babies, which is just stupid and people on the internet can get 100x worse than that, only time i get defensive is when it's within the fanbase its self, like defending a pokemon, ect.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Well...unfortunately or fortunately, I do. When someone throws insults at my most favorite video game franchise, I get extremely offended and I attempt to prove then wrong, but obviously because they're contemptible and stupid, I lose every single argument. Even my brother bashes on the franchise and says Legend of Zelda is better.

pkmin3033

Not really. An attack on something I like is not an attack on me personally, and people are entitled to their views. If they want to make judgements like that, I'd prefer to just let them get on with it. I have plenty of opinions other people disagree with, after all. I don't see the need to really defend something unless I'm called out directly, and even then I think it's a waste of time. Other people disliking Pokemon isn't going to stop me from enjoying it.

Years
    I don't really try and defend Pokemon if people have any negative feelings towards it, since there's no point in arguing. Good chance that you aren't going to change their minds anyway, so I'll let them feel about it however they like.

Though to be fair, I don't really go around advertising that I'm a Pokemon fan (even though I was wearing a Hawlucha shirt today, haha), so I can't say I've been in too many situations recently where someone's brought it up.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    I don't really get offended, but rather just sad. They've never known the joy of going on their very own Pokemon adventure. How sad for them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    ha no. i don't let people in my life know i play pokemon exactly for those reasons. i don't want to hear it or deal with it.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
    This has me written all over it. Being defensive over a Pokemon is my instinct pretty much. Ever since I was trolled over liking Pichu ( A useless Pokemon/Smasher ) and Plusle ( Over Minun ) I got in the habit of just wanting to bash people in the face if they talk back to my Pokemon like that. I even still do that today. You should see my final message with KorpiklaaniVodka. I sounded like I ran the Pikaclone fanclub. I even start to betray some Pokemon such as starting to love Plusle's opposite Minun and then noticing how bad and overrated/overused Plusle is compared to a Minun. As I have my reasons for disliking Plusle and Liking Minun a thousand times more as much as one of my friends like Plusles a thousand times more than Minuns over a card game but in all, I am just hating Plusle because Minun exists. I don't know, maybe I should get help from Latias and make me quit having an unbalanced love for the battery duo and start respecting those Pokefans down at Mauville. Man, there were so many clones of each other wearing those damned jackets. I don't really get fussy over people's opinions as much since I don't feel the need to show aggressive behaviors towards fictional characters anymore, but sometimes I might break in my obsessed Pokefan self, wear my Minun shirt and hat and complain without me even noticing.

tonbo

~(˘▾˘~)
    Years
    first off, i generally only tell good friends. and like good friends should do, they just either talk about it for a bit or just accept it and move on.

but getting defensive when people say it's 'gay' or 'childish'? nah man. even if i cared about shit like that, that's a terrible way of handling the situation. when/if people say 'pokemon is gay', they're generally not saying 'pokemon is homosexual. man on man stuff all day in that game. you shouldn't be playing that in a christian school', no. unless you get hardcore bullied or some shit, that's generally banter, and if they think you're a good bloke, they'll be expecting you to (jokingly) fire back at them. getting angry about tiny stuff like that is a quick and easy way to make sure people don't like you, and i'm not about that life. even if you do get bullied, for your sake, please don't get angry at them. i know from watching it happen to other people that you literally get turned into a game if you react like that at tiny comments.

tbh i could be entirely wrong, i'm only one person and i only have one person worth of social experience. but this is how things generally go for me. getting defensive over petty shit is bad, don't do it.

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
    Years
    first off, i generally only tell good friends. and like good friends should do, they just either talk about it for a bit or just accept it and move on.

but getting defensive when people say it's 'gay' or 'childish'? nah man. even if i cared about **** like that, that's a terrible way of handling the situation. when/if people say 'pokemon is gay', they're generally not saying 'pokemon is homosexual. man on man stuff all day in that game. you shouldn't be playing that in a christian school', no. unless you get hardcore bullied or some ****, that's generally banter, and if they think you're a good bloke, they'll be expecting you to (jokingly) fire back at them. getting angry about tiny stuff like that is a quick and easy way to make sure people don't like you, and i'm not about that life. even if you do get bullied, for your sake, please don't get angry at them. i know from watching it happen to other people that you literally get turned into a game if you react like that at tiny comments.

tbh i could be entirely wrong, i'm only one person and i only have one person worth of social experience. but this is how things generally go for me. getting defensive over petty **** is bad, don't do it.

You're not wrong. A lot of people who get made fun of on the Internet are typically those who get mad over little things much like that Sonichu person back in the good ol' days. I get aggressive over those tiny things back then because not because I was 10- 14 years old from the time but because well, you know. Trolls. And when people troll me over my opinions, I "troll" back. Now I handle hate over my opinions better. I'm more of someone who just says "Okey" and moves on nowadays. But of course, there's a time when I will get defensive over the stuff I like sometimes. But it's not as bad as before.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Not really. While there may be some haters who annoy me a bit, people have opinions, and if they dislike Pokemon, that's on to them. Plus, as much as I love playing it, it's not a perfect franchise, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a perfect series, game, character, or whatsoever. I beleive most things have an eaqual share of ups and downs.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Outside of my little social niche, I don't say much when people make fun of the franchise. Within the niche on the other hand, heh, I don't back down. It usually doesn't work, I can explain it's complexity all I want, but a lot of people don't give themselves much room to change their opinions... Well it's more like they don't care enough.

It's funny though, just today someone took note that I was playing blue version during class. I was expecting some criticism, instead we had a brief conversation about moon/sun. I was prepared to shrug them off like I usually do. A pleasant surprise

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
    I don't usually get defensive but I also don't like people saying it's gay or childish when they've never played Pokemon. My sisters boyfriends gives me shit sometimes (as a joke) but he's played Pokemon and had a gameboy and stuff. But for some people I've given them a game for a hour or 2 and they changed their mind really quick. The people that hate on Pokemon just think it's childish cause of the anime, they don't know what the games are about and how competitive they are. They probably just jealous because they can't be the best there ever was and become a Pokemon master :)

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Well, I pretty much always live my life on the defensive. Mentally, I have a kneejerk reaction. So I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't care when people criticize things I like or believe in. It is highly annoying, and I don't like hearing it.

But am I going to express that outwardly? No. I control my emotions, and I try to stay away from such people. People who insist on hating on the things I like, those aren't the type of people I want to be around anyway. They are toxic and bad for my health. As for people who just aren't interested and are pathetic about it? That's fine. I don't like being forced into other peoples' likes, so I pretty much don't talk about the things I like unless I know the other person was into it before I said anything or if it's in a genre of things they like and they've never experienced it before.

Honestly though, most people I meet seem positive or indifferent about Pokemon anyway. It isn't as controversial as saying you like something like Sonic or My Little Pony nowadays.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I do, but purely because it's in my nature to get defensive of any comments unfortunately.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
    I don't really get offended, but rather just sad. They've never known the joy of going on their very own Pokemon adventure. How sad for them.

I agree. All the people who insult pokemon are the people who haven't played it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2016
    pokemon genericaly is a well known game, so when i say i play people genericaly is "okay, i like or don't like this game".

I have one or two friend who laughed when I said I loved it, and I got deffensive, so they shut. They are into music, and when they listened the osts of the game they really liked it.

Back