• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you judge a person by what kind of job do thay have?

Years
  • I'm currently in a situation where it's difficult to find much else other than unpaid internships or near-minimum wage jobs even though I have a bachelor's degree and four past jobs on my resume. Overqualified people apply for entry level jobs, people hire their underqualified friends above those who are more qualified, etc etc. Things aren't going to go as planned more often than you would think.

I'll judge myself to an extent but not others. I do not know their situation as well as I know my own.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Ideas come to my mind, but I try to keep the clear mind and not judge people.

What is it with you and repetitive provocative threads. Are you annoying on purpose or you're not aware of it?

I would prefer provocative threads than "Have you ever had <experience that everyone goes through> happen to you?" threads that literally only ask that one question. My gut response to those threads is always snarky and for a while, those threads were always pretty popular.

But I think there's something to this thread.

I worked in a warehouse before. Something I always considered beforehand to be "lowly" and on McDonalds in terms of the respect that I tended to give to the job. "Warehouse work?" I'd scoff. "Never." It's not an ideal job. Nobody grows up and wants to seriously work at McDonalds, or work in a dirty warehouse.

But that job has given me so much work ethic that I would worry where I would be had I not had it. Would I be like the people at my current job who can't do their job without complaining? Would I be as hard working at my current job? Would I be as appreciative of other people, had I not had that job?

Working in jobs like that really puts a lot of things in life into perspective, but unfortunately, most of the people who work those jobs will never find light in those. They'll just view it as working a dead end job and not really develop as people. I've seen it happen so many times to so many different people from all different backgrounds. It also really forces you to look at yourself and not thinking you're "above" something, because in the world we all live in today, most people should be thankful to even have a job.

The people who generally respond "Ew. Manual labor." are also people I tend to not get along with, because they are generally people who I view to not really have a grasp on much in life.

When I have children, I want their first job to be something "dead end" and I want them to come around with the lessons and traits that I got from having that type of work at a pretty young age.

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
    Years
  • No.
    Even if every single person had a degree, we would still need some to work in the service industry. I can't even keep track of how often I hear people drone on and on about how retail and food service is for teenagers to get fuel money, but you will never see them take a moment to consider how that even works. If that were the case, then all of those businesses would have to be closed from midnight to 4pm, Monday through Friday, so those teens can go to school. There's no money to be made from that and those businesses would fail very quickly.
    People in any job should be treated with dignity and respect, whether they scrub toilets, manage your finances, or fix your house. Period.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Wow I must be a *****.

A lot of people here are saying 'you don't know their situation!' Well, what if you do?

I have friends who are totally unsuited to the job they do, as well as people who skip between jobs without much thought. I think it can say something about a person and their personality (of course, if it's a random person you might not know the scenario).

So whilst I might not judge a random person because of their job, someone's occupation and their job history can tell you tidbits about them for sure.

Years
  • I guess that when I first replied to this thread, I did not put much thought into it...
    On second thought, I do judge people based on their job.
    If I think the job they have is a wrong or harmful practice, or for example, if they behave irresponsibly on the job, I feel inclined to judge them.
    Whalers and other kinds of animal hunters, as an example... You might say that it's illegal, hence not really valid for this topic, but some of these practices are actually legal in some parts of the world.

While I don't judge them because I am aware their beliefs may be different than mine, I also experience negative feelings towards people working in the meat industry, since I love animals and refrain from consuming or otherwise using any kind of animal product/by-product.

None of this has anything to do with the actual income, though, which is likely the social aspect that dogtree is concerned about.
    I do not judge people based on their job/income; while I would certainly wish my offspring to be economically stable, there are other things I deem more important than that in life.
    It certainly is a means to an end though, as in most if not all cases it's required to pursue and support one's interests, needs and goals. It stands to reason that these vary greatly between each individual, making it difficult for me to judge someone with an otherwise honest job.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Not particularly.

If I know them, I might wonder why they went into one field over another if I thought they were better suited as well. But if you're making a living, who cares.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I used to when I was little. Which is even stupider, come to think of it, seeing as I grew up on a farm. Long hours, hard and smelly work.. and a real ****** income. ;)

For the most part, no. I mean, I'm always going to internally judge people to some extent. People have a tendency to do that. It's usually more about how well they're doing than how much they're making, though. But for the most part, I share the same views most here already said. That you don't know what their situation is. You don't know how they got to that point in their life.
    Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I'm in a position where I can't get a job at all. Maybe I just 'grew up.' /shrug

But you really don't know. Maybe they enjoy that job -- maybe it's all they can get.

Recently one of my friends has been having a lot of trouble with his hands. They swell up to the point of not being able to move them after just a few rounds of LoL. Had to quit his old job over it. He's looking for a new one, but what on earth are you going to do that doesn't require your hands? All we could really come up with was answering calls at a call center, where the headset would do most of the work. Or standing at a help desk answering questions.

Are they the greatest paying jobs? Hell no. But it's just about all he could do until he manages the swelling in his hands.

Dependence is not security.

Echoing this on the side bits about your child being financially secure by marrying a doctor.

While I can understand there's a lot of reasons that a person is not able to care for themselves financially -- like in my own situation -- it shouldn't be part of your mental criteria for your child's spouse.

I have three sisters, and my parents have always told us, "We just want you to be happy." No concerns about their income, looks, intellect, nor their lifestyle; all that matters is that our significant others are good people. A healthy and happy relationship is all they've ever 'wanted' for us.

Winston-Harlem

Rich boy
    Years
  • I suppose it's a good telltale sign to tell apart a commoner from a person of stature, then again a lot of rich inheritees have been getting cut off from their family because of bad behaviour and end up mixed in with the cattle, and there's better things to look for to determine class such as family crests/emblems, physical similarities with well-known families, and others that can give away more about someone besides the stench of wealth, if you're willing to look beyond the surface of course.

Years
  • I agree with dog tree. You're all full if crap with this no judgment act.

I judge investment bankers, hedge fund managers and stock brokers because they don't actually add anything to society.

Years
  • I agree with dog tree. You're all full if crap with this no judgment act.

I judge investment bankers, hedge fund managers and stock brokers because they don't actually add anything to society.

haha funny. but i think that's telling from an engineer, no? since you guys actually create stuff.

i definitely judge people on what they do or don't for a living. that's why it matters when my dropout friends decide that they want to become a teacher and start hitting the books again. i mean,

as for the question of my children marrying someone, yes i would be unnerved if they were getting with someone who wasn't able to provide financially. i can't be politically correct all of the time.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I have no job, so why should I judge others for the job they have? I understand that some people don't have the skills needed to have a high-skill position that requires multiple degrees and years of study. I know some people are in a bad financial situation where they just need a job to keep their lights and power on and food for them and their family. I'm looking for a job myself and I haven't even finished a year of college so I know I don't yet have the skills I need to get the career I'd really want, so I know I'll have to start with a low-skill job such as retail until I have the skills for better work. But as others have mentioned, not everyone ends up with that very successful dream job they want. Most famous actors, artist, musicians, business people, political leaders, etc struggled in the past to get where they are today and honestly have had enough luck to be as famous and successful as they are. Not everyone has the same chances at success as others.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    Here is my conclusion, if you are 30 years old + plus Americans and you still doing low skill job. You might not be intelligent and have low work ethnic. i wont judge immigrants
    who don't speak English well and doing low skill jobs

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Here is my conclusion, if you are 30 years old + plus Americans and you still doing low skill job. You might not be intelligent and have low work ethnic. i wont judge immigrants
    Just curious, how old are you? You might think differently if you're young at the moment and get older. Getting a job is not easy, especially in America, I'd think. Getting a college degree used to mean so much back in the day, but now, it means close to nothing without a ton of support. It's so easy to say something like that.

Also, keep in mind we do need people like that. Without janitors, we'd have crap toilets everywhere (literally). Without garbage collectors, we'd have trash all over the streets. Without school teachers, we'd be more uneducated than we already are. You wanna judge people for having jobs like that? Go right ahead. But realize those people who are "beneath you" are also the people who make enjoying daily life possible. The small things contribute.

Years
  • haha funny. but i think that's telling from an engineer, no? since you guys actually create stuff.

Haha. Busted I guess. My judgment probably does stem somewhat from the direction I chose to take.

Dakota makes a point I agree with. The jobs most people look down on are some of the most necessary. Take away cleaners and garbage men and you'll soon be wanting them back. There's nothing shameful about doing a menial job. Half the population will always have a below average IQ so these jobs may suit them. I think it's sad they get no respect while some people are reapected get paid lots of money to run 100 m really fast as though that's so useful.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I judge people by their physical hygiene rather than their job. Heck, the smartest person I've ever met worked as a tattoo artist, so your job definitely isn't a measure of your IQ or your worth. This isn't an ideal world, so everyone can't have their ideal job, so it's a little unfair to judge someone off of something they can't really control.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Here is my conclusion, if you are 30 years old + plus Americans and you still doing low skill job. You might not be intelligent and have low work ethnic. i wont judge immigrants
    Some people just genuinely enjoy their "low skill" job, and that's why they hold onto it while in their 30s and beyond. There isn't any reason to change occupations to something that's more approved of by society if you're not going to be happy going into work, so long as you're able to live well on your wages.

Without the people willing to work the "low skilled" jobs, life would be more difficult. You wouldn't be able to buy groceries without the store's "low skilled" employees stocking the shelves, running the registers, or even pricing the items.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Just a note, a lot of garbage workers make a good amount of money and it's a highly sought after job.

I judge people on their personality. If you're a jerk, then I won't like you. I know beautiful women that are mean and cruel and it makes me think they're ugly. I know "ugly" women that are sweet and caring and they are beautiful to me. I don't care where you work or how you work, but how you act and who you are where it counts is what counts to me.

Back