• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think scarlet and violet going to be bad?

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I Mean I heard people complaining about the
    Frame rate, the graphics, the lack of voice acting and the Pokemon designs because people saying it looks they are running out of
    Ideas in the YouTube comments?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I Mean I heard people complaining about the
    Frame rate, the graphics, the lack of voice acting and the Pokemon designs because people saying it looks they are running out of
    Ideas in the YouTube comments?

I highly doubt that the games are going to be bad. In fact, I don't think I played a "bad" Pokémon game yet. While certain aspects of Pokémon might be disappointing, such as regional variants, certain gimmicks like useless Pokémon getting certain Mega Evolutions, and otherwise boring regions like Sinnoh, Pokémon games to me are always good at their core. The thing is Pokémon fans online, especially in comment sections, are almost always complaining and nitpicking about something as they do every single generation. Hardly anything is good enough for them, which sometimes makes me wonder why they even care about playing Pokémon. I don't pay them any mind.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Not any way to be sure until you play it. I don't have high hopes given that Game Freak has long run on a hellish development cycle, but sometimes you get relatively pleasantly surprised.

The thing to me is how the open-world will turn out. When done right (or in a way that I like anyway) they can be amazing and a couple are some of my favorite games ever. But then there's the ones that don't capture the magic for me and just end up not being enjoyable.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Well... early reviews are in and a lot of people seem pleased, so I don't have a doubt that these games are going to be at least decent objectively.

Thing is, I seldom agree with popular opinion, so now I'm having even more doubts that I will like this game personally. It looks and runs nice, sure, but the new 3D modeling and style has been a major turn-off for me, enough that I would call it a deal-breaker. On top of that there are very few new Mons I actually like that aren't retreads of existing Mons... and the human characters don't fare much better. At this point, I have already accepted that no matter where they place compared to previous games, Scarlet and Violet likely won't be my cup of tea.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Question from Mind Read the Room in the recent Get-Together: "Do you think Scarlet/Violet will be better than base game Sword/Shield? (Note: Reply "No" if you expect it to be equal.)"

Received 17 Yes votes and 2 No votes. Was among the Yes votes.

Does not necessarily mean a favorable opinion of Scarlet/Violet. Hints at it, though.

Could be wrong about it being good, of course. Might play quite differently than previous games and therefore rub some people the wrong way.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't think they're going to be bad, but not remarkable either, just one more Pokémon game to play and that's it.

They'll probably invest the bare necessary effort to make it work and sell but I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary beyond that. The franchise keeps doing completely fine while staying in its safe zone so they have no need to take big risks.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    I don't think the games will be bad it looks. Really good from the trailer and stuff

Years
  • I think they will be okay games, but they will be made very badly. The Pokémon formula is still fun, but it's not enough on it's own for AAA game. Plus the inability of Game Freak to make modern games doesn't really add more confidence.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Considering how much people loved the Arceus game, and that this builds onto some concepts introduced there, I think SV will be very well beloved by the general gaming part of the fanbase. Old timers like myself might still prefer to boot up Crystal on the virtual console, but that doesn't make SV bad games. It's amazing how the pokémon franchise still keeps reinventing itself after almost 30 years.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Considering how much people loved the Arceus game, and that this builds onto some concepts introduced there, I think SV will be very well beloved by the general gaming part of the fanbase. Old timers like myself might still prefer to boot up Crystal on the virtual console, but that doesn't make SV bad games. It's amazing how the pokémon franchise still keeps reinventing itself after almost 30 years.

I strongly agree with this

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • After two generations of very bad games, Brexit/Dexit, and an overall development culture of pander to the market's persistent-presence rhythm, I definitively don't think SV will be good games. We don't even know yet if it will have all Pokémon, or if not, which Pokémon will be cut, which to me is a huge dealbreaker.

Sure, I'll love to be proved wrong if this timeline fixes itself, but there's a wide gap difference between what I "childish hope" will happen, and what I rationally "think" will happen.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    We don't even know yet if it will have all Pokémon,
    tbh at this point I think we can assume that it will not. 2 isn't exactly a pattern, but it's hard to believe now that S/V or any other main series game going forward will have all Pokemon in it, especially given how frequently they release a new game.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Personally, I'm thinking that Scarlet and Violet look awesome. While I normally notice a very Star Trek-esque pattern where I prefer the even-numbered gens to the odd-numbered ones (with Gen 5 being the only exception for me), this looks like it might be another exception.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Personally, I'm thinking that Scarlet and Violet look awesome. While I normally notice a very Star Trek-esque pattern where I prefer the even-numbered gens to the odd-numbered ones (with Gen 5 being the only exception for me), this looks like it might be another exception.

Do the generations with even numbers have better games to you or do you just prefer even numbers in general?

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Assuming the leak that they made an open-world Pokémon game with a fixed gym level curve, rather than each gym leader picking a team roster from a list of eight (or however many) corresponding to how many badges you've already acquired so you always get an appropriate level of challenge, then yes. This is the kind of basic thing you'd do to adapt a linear structure like previous Pokémon games to an open-world format, and the available evidence is they cocked it up.

If they actually did it right then I'll revise my opinion accordingly.

Years
  • I don't think they will be bad, but possibly a bit polarizing to some fans.

Assuming the leak that they made an open-world Pokémon game with a fixed gym level curve, rather than each gym leader picking a team roster from a list of eight (or however many) corresponding to how many badges you've already acquired so you always get an appropriate level of challenge, then yes. This is the kind of basic thing you'd do to adapt a linear structure like previous Pokémon games to an open-world format, and the available evidence is they cocked it up.

If they actually did it right then I'll revise my opinion accordingly.
    This is Gamefreak. I highly doubt or expect anything super amazing in regards to the gym level scaling or not tbh.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    I have high hopes for the new games. I really enjoyed Legends Arceus and really liked the new mechanics that they introduced.

Even though Legends Arceus was not the best in terms of performance and graphics, I don't think people generally play Pokemon for the performance and graphics.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I have high hopes for the new games. I really enjoyed Legends Arceus and really liked the new mechanics that they introduced.

Even though Legends Arceus was not the best in terms of performance and graphics, I don't think people generally play Pokemon for the performance and graphics.

I strongly agree with this post. I am expecting a lot from these games as well. I can't wait.

Back