• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Dock or handheld?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • How do you prefer to play your Pokémon games on the Switch? Do you like playing with your Switch on the dock or do you prefer to play your games handheld?

Me personally, I prefer to play my games on the dock whenever I can because I have a big TV and the graphics are nice. For that reason, I was extremely disappointed with Pokémon Let's Go when docked because I could only use one joy-con.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It depends on the game - given they're remakes of my most-played games and they don't have a nice shiny guide to occupy me, I play BDSP in handheld mode.

Let's Go I played on the TV mostly before I paused once I got to GO Park. I actually don't mind the one-handed play, I tend to bring my 2nd controller online for gym battles as the game's so easy ganging up on them is more interesting than attempting to find difficulty in using a lv. 50 Mew against Koga. Poké Ball Plus was incredibly disappointing though - when you hold it as designed, left and right are reversed! Truly absurd. As I'm only using it for GO Park however, I'll remain in handheld.

SwSh and Legends I play on the TV. Its not a particularly large one, but other than a brief dalliance with PBR on Wii, having Pokémon on my TV is still amazing! (It also took at least 6 months for Dynamax to become completely uninteresting to me, I really like kaiju-ifying Yamper but mostly I'm just easily impressed). lf I'm grinding on SwSh however, I go handheld and watch something at the same time.

I'm definitely going to bring down my Switch to our living room with the 50-inch screen when I get to the climax of Legends though!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Pretty much always docked. Joycons drift and I like having a bigger screen (even if my TV is not massive). Some games I kinda need a real controller too instead of what handhelds provide.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pretty much always docked. Joycons drift and I like having a bigger screen (even if my TV is not massive). Some games I kinda need a real controller too instead of what handhelds provide.

Do you have a controller recommendation? I have special edition consoles - LGPE Switch, BDSP Switch LIte - and while there's nothing I can do with the latter, your post reminded me that for the former I should probably get a dedicated controller, for preservation in case of future resale as much as anything! (I upgraded from an Xbox360 so comfort-wise the Joycons seem incredible aha)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Do you have a controller recommendation? I have special edition consoles - LGPE Switch, BDSP Switch LIte - and while there's nothing I can do with the latter, your post reminded me that for the former I should probably get a dedicated controller, for preservation in case of future resale as much as anything! (I upgraded from an Xbox360 so comfort-wise the Joycons seem incredible aha)
    I use a Switch Pro Controller, it's been good to me. They can be a little pricey though, ones from Nintendo itself go for like 60-70 USD (I still remember the days when a new controller cost less than a new game 🙁). I'm not familiar with the other options though (like Horipad and various 3rd party Switch controllers) so there's probably not a whole lot I can say on the matter.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I use a Switch Pro Controller, it's been good to me. They can be a little pricey though, ones from Nintendo itself go for like 60-70 USD (I still remember the days when a new controller cost less than a new game 🙁). I'm not familiar with the other options though (like Horipad and various 3rd party Switch controllers) so there's probably not a whole lot I can say on the matter.

That's good enough for me. A tech site I regularly read ranked it as the best option, but I figured I'd ask in case you turned around and said "oh my god most unreliable piece of ************ ever!"

I remember when Pokémon cost £29.99...I got my SwSh + Expansion copies at discount and they each cost more than twice that!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • It depends on the game. I play Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee in handheld mode because when I played docked & throw Poke Balls using the Joycon, the Poke Balls are sometimes are so far off it's not worth the effort. Handheld mode has the occasional drift, but nothing dangerous is really going on in that game. I might bump into a wall if I am not paying attention.

Most other games I will play docked for the full TV experience.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Always handheld with the kickstand, regardless of game. Rests on this laptop (closed). Sits at a good height without causing neck issues. Also feels more private.

Anxiety's cut your blood Chasing all your ghosts
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    Docked for now since I rarely take it with me

Years
    • Age 19
    • she
    • SC
    • Seen Feb 2, 2023
    I can only play handheld for motion control games; something about docked with motion controls makes me so nauseous. Without motion controls, I have no preference.

Years
  • Handheld for Pokémon games usually! It's just a lot more convenient for me, especially since I sometimes walk around with my Switch or lay on the bed. Played all Switch Pokémon games that way. (b' ')b

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I have a Switch Lite, so I don't really have a choice.

That said, due to fears of drift I always use a 3rd party controller so I effectively use it more like docked than handheld I guess

Years
  • my switch has joycon drift soOOOOO i have no other choice but to go docked for the time being

there are plans, however, to buy new joycons so there's that at least!!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • my switch has joycon drift soOOOOO i have no other choice but to go docked for the time being

there are plans, however, to buy new joycons so there's that at least!!

Mine are starting to mess up too. Although I don't have a drifting problem (at the moment), my joycons have a habit of constantly cutting off when connected, which is another reason I prefer docked right now.

Years
  • Mine are starting to mess up too. Although I don't have a drifting problem (at the moment), my joycons have a habit of constantly cutting off when connected, which is another reason I prefer docked right now.

yeah sometimes (rarely, really) mine do this too. i think its just about time to retire them, they did well for lasting this long considering they're the ones that came with my switch lmao

Back