• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Feedback on The Multiverse!

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    If you guys want, I could help whip up some CSS for the directory (because I don't trust GP's skills) ;)

which reminds me to do the CSS for the DCC and The Nebula eep

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Hey guys! Want to get some opinions on a thread/game idea - I feel like many of us are in the same boat in that we like worldbuilding, but it's a pretty time-consuming activity that we may not always be able to just sit down and fully dedicate time and energy to, or we are working on things but the forum activity doesn't quite reflect it sometimes since it's just generally a slower sort of hobby with lots of work going on behind the scenes that we aren't necessarily always posting about. So I've been trying to come up with fun ways to boost activity here that aren't as time-consuming and I'm thinking of a flash-building sort of game?

The idea is to just collaboratively build mini-worlds together that can be fun or silly (or serious, if you like, but I'm thinking with the limited scope of things the worlds generated here would mostly be more lighthearted) - I think the way it would work would be:

The first person comes up with the name of the world and a short overview/premise of it, then they provide a prompt for the next person to add on to the world/village/city/whatever. eg:
    Nyterra is an underground cave city mostly engulfed in darkness. Light is a luxury, and as a result, the inhabitants of Nyterra have learned to live without relying on their sight as much; their vision is dulled, but they have enhanced hearing and smell. Tell me about their methods of transportation.

The next person uses that prompt, provides another prompt:
    People mostly travel by foot, however, centuries ago, before it was converted into a city, Nyterra was primarily a mining zone and many mine carts left over from those days are still in use today; people rely on these carts to travel to different districts. Tell me about their food!

(these are not prime examples, I came up with them on the fly but just to demonstrate what the post chain would look like)

And so on - once there have been 11 posts total about the same world (the "intro" post + 10 prompts), that world is officially "done" and the person who wrote about the last (10th) prompt can start the next world after wrapping up the previous one.

Other things:

- To stick to the "flash" portion of flash-building, I think each post should be limited in some way but I'm not sure what a good word/sentence cap would be. Thoughts?

- Try to adhere to and build off of what the initial, overall concept is about - even if the overview is something silly (ie. a region where the dominant species is Wobbuffet and they have developed their own sophisticated Wobbuffet society / a world where placentas are integrated in everyone's everyday life, including their food, drinks, cosmetics, etc*), don't throw out completely random things that don't really work with what other people have been contributing.

- Another thing I'm not too sure about is if this overlaps with the Nebula too much - I feel like the Nebula is for real ideas that people intend to make into worlds themselves one day, and this is a more lighthearted game but I don't know, what do you guys think? I kind of got the idea from the one-liner RP because it's a similar kind of thing - a sort of silly filler game in between all the "real" RPing.

Any opinions and suggestions for this is appreciated!

* I wrote a blog about placenta masks and at least 2 of you wanted to "make a placenta world/bring this to the multiverse", I think this game could be a way of satisfying this desire in some way

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Sounds fun. Shall I start?
    Groht is a pokemon region where everyone lives under rocks. Now tell me about their water supply.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Sounds fun. Shall I start?
    Groht is a pokemon region where everyone lives under rocks. Now tell me about their water supply.
    I'd be making this in a separate thread if people like the idea - just wanted to gather some opinions first! :)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I enjoy that! I think a dedicated thread for that kind of game would be good. I don't know if it would be better to do longer worlds (ie 20/30-ish posts) and have an individual thread for each, or like you proposed 10-ish and all in one thread. And no, it doesn't clash with the Nebula- I think of the Nebula as more of a resource/idea drop/"help me build" thread than a small build thread. So I am 100% on board!

I do admittedly worry about the fact that so much of worldbuilding is behind the scenes work- it doesn't exactly benefit the forum if one is looking from a pure activity standpoint. I feel like if people realize that so much work is going into these posts and updates, then what we're doing and our activity levels are frankly amazing for what we are. But I'd really like to see more general discussion and collaborative and game things come by here! I know some of us are building up to bigger collaborations and building worlds to host games, but again- a lot of it is invisible. :P

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    @Anna: Individual threads could work too! We could request a "Flash Building" tag or something if we decide to go with that instead of the one-thread game. And I know what you mean - MV is inherently going to have less activity than the average forum because of the kind of forum it is, but I agree, we've been doing pretty alright so far despite that. There's a lot of potential for discussion and events, too!

@Cutiefly: Lol, no worries! I like your enthusiasm. :D

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I think we should experiment with length- like maybe the person who starts the mini-world gets to choose a length between 10 and 25 posts or something? And see what tends to work out. The more I think about it the better starting with one thread sounds- the only downside i see is that people aren't able to easily jump to the top of one world so they can follow it enough to add on.

The other thing is post length, like you said before. Maybe have a 200-400 word cap? It's long enough, but not incredibly. For reference, your pitch post for this idea was a little over 600 words.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I also have this idea for a game we could host here on the Multiverse, and I think this could be an interactive thing I'm gonna host.

Basically, it kinda functions like a game that is usually hosted on the Underground but not really per se.

The idea of the game is that you control a nation of your own in a world that I will create, and you could do actions that would help your nation thrive and such, like expand, raise defenses, build alliances, and such. To win, there would be a set number of years that the game will play, and there would probably be 2 main victories (peaceful, and aggressive) and you win when you reach the objectives set by the victory by the end of the game or something like that.

I plan to have stuff like flags for the nations, interspecies support (because a lot of you wanted non-humans), and currently, I'm working on how to encourage posting (and not just some action send posts because thats boring).

What do you guys think?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I also have this idea for a game we could host here on the Multiverse, and I think this could be an interactive thing I'm gonna host.

Basically, it kinda functions like a game that is usually hosted on the Underground but not really per se.

The idea of the game is that you control a nation of your own in a world that I will create, and you could do actions that would help your nation thrive and such, like expand, raise defenses, build alliances, and such. To win, there would be a set number of years that the game will play, and there would probably be 2 main victories (peaceful, and aggressive) and you win when you reach the objectives set by the victory by the end of the game or something like that.

I plan to have stuff like flags for the nations, interspecies support (because a lot of you wanted non-humans), and currently, I'm working on how to encourage posting (and not just some action send posts because thats boring).

What do you guys think?
    Okay so I fucking love this we did a similarly styled game in my high school Latin class and it was SO GOOD give this to me gunner

also i will totally help u flesh out mechanics and give u feedback as it develops like i am a resource for you absolutely

Years

What do you guys think?

I think I'd be happier seeing that sort of thing done elsewhere, but it is a cool concept and ultimately it's not really up to me anyway. I'm something of a purist I guess when it comes to this forum.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    Sounds like Risk or Civilization V. Doesn't seem to have the actual essence of worldbuilding; the players aren't playing in a world they had a part in making.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I mean depending on how the game is run there is a decent amount of development that could happen within a nation. When we did it in class we had like, a week to make some major decisions about how our regions would develop and then like, the next week was like time had skipped forward and we could see the consequences of our actions. There's plenty of personalization to be had. We can start out with a few key concepts and an equatable level of tech/resources and then build from there- we can go as in depth as we want about how our nation is doing while Gunner GMs like, events and decisions.

Years
    So I'm enjoying this new forum, but I'm finding that I don't often have the spare time to read through all the posts (some are quite long) and I want to give decent feedback, but I feel like I can't really since I didn't bother reading it all. You feel me?

Back