• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Following Pokémon

Years
  • I didn't see any in the trailer and I know it's something a lot of fans want.

So, do you think there will be Pokémon following the player?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • If it was in LGPE, its likely in the main series games. I'd be mildly surprised they'd remove that considering they had it in the first Pokemon Switch game.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • From what it looks like I doubt it. The thing is now this Dex is probably going over 850 mons give or take it's hard to do

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't think so. If there was following pokemon, I would think it would have appeared in the trailers, especially since some of those scenes seemed later in game.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Yeah that's why they limited the Pokémon so severely in LGPE - no way they could make walking models for 850 Pokémon in time. That's also why they've reused the battle models of many Pokémon ever since Gen 6.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I would have thought LGPE was kind of a stepping stone in development so that they could more easily add some of these features into Gen 8 when it comes out, but that's true - it would be a lot of Pokémon to add in this case, compared to LGPE, and it wasn't in the trailer. Even if they can't do it for every Pokémon, I hope some will be able to follow you.

Years
  • I gotta say, I agree - if it were possible, I think it'd have been shown in the trailer. Bit of a bummer, though, because I was super hopeful for it to be in a core/non-remake game again.

Years
  • starting to think that this feature won't make my real appearances in the actual main series games besides maybe in a limited area here and there where you could walk your Pokemon around.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    As much as I would love it, I don't think it's realistic. :<

Years
  • Yeah similar to Fairy, it would be amazing but unfortunately not likely, and I don't blame them for not pursuing it either. It doubles the amount of assets and animations you have to produce, and there's already 700+ Pokemon out there.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    To the people saying it's not realistic: they already have the Pokémon models made. Otherwise, how could they battle? They'd just need to make walk and run cycles for each one. It's not that bad.

That being said, the lack of following and ride Pokémon is my one complaint thus far, as such an expansive landscape has no reason to exclude them. It similarly makes me worried about what other good features have been cut despite the technological capabilities of the Switch, but for those I'll worry when we get confirmation that they're gone.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • They did have at least beta walk/run cycles for all gen 1-7 Pokemon in SM files. So the potential was there.

Seems unlikely to be here unless a) they're hiding it (but why) or b) they haven't made it ready yet for the build used for making the trailer (possible but imo still unlikely). A shame if it is excluded as I rather like the feature.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Much easier said than done.

Everything is easier said than done.

In a game meant to be massive, not including something that fans have been clamoring for for over eight years and they clearly have the capacity to include is a bit worrisome. And it's a reasonable thing to ask for. And as bobandbill said, walk cycles for all Pokémon from gens 1-7 were stored in the gen 7 games. This is something Game Freak is capable of doing.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • They could be hiding it, it's a feature a lot of us want, so they could hide it to surprise the player. You do have to remember that the following feature was optional in Let's Go.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I'm gonna make an odd prediction and say that only your starter can follow you. It would explain why we didn't see it in the trailer, as they didn't show us any in-game starter footage in the first place.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I adore this feature so I hope they bring it back, in spite of my concerns that it's too unrealistic. I'd still be happy if they only allowed Pokémon from the regional Dex!

Back